Still smoking support and chat thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgs3

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Well done Hopeful64 - given your smoking history, 13 is a huge step forward. Understand, you are at the hardest stage - at least in my experience. Getting to 10 or less was, psychologically not to mention physically, huge for me. You are doing great! You won't believe me, of course, but it does get easier.

Last edited:

Hopeful64

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2018
13 today! :angel: (hugs)
good morning my dear friends. I think I have been celebrating with cigarettes since I arrived at the trailer. :cry: all I can do is tell you that I am starting over today. My vape equipment is ready and I've already put a huge effort in this morning. That's all for now. I really need to be accountable so I will check in tonight. I hope you are all doing well....:wub: sincerely, Donna (hugs)

Possum64

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Hey @Hopeful64 - you are allowed to fall slightly off the wagon every now and then. It really is ok. Initially I found it difficult being away from home and out of my 'normal' routine (whatever that is, being a shift worker :yawn: but you know what I mean). Every excuse under the sun to smoke instead of vape came out - people around me were smoking / vaping was too fiddley blah blah. But is DOES get easier, I promise!
Stick with it Donna - you know it will be so worth it in the long run :thumbs:
Catherine

Last edited:

Thayamax

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2013
Southeast Michigan
Hi, @Hopeful64, don't get too down on yourself. We all had/have those kind of days. It's especially difficult when you're away from home and when people around you are smoking.

My worst thing I had to get past was at work where nearly all my coworkers smoked. There were only two of us at a time working so we always stood at the side door and took our smoke breaks together. I just couldn't vape my mod when they were smoking. One of the ladies in this thread suggested I get a cigalike to use at work. I didn't take her advice at first because I thought using a cigalike was a step down from my mod. I finally took her advice and it was perfect. I didn't feel weird or out of place using it when they smoked because it didn't look that different from a real cig. The day I got it was my turning point. I never smoked another cigarette, and I celebrated 5 years smoke-free yesterday!

The moral of that story is that there is always something or maybe several somethings that will end up working for you as long as you don't give up. So don't worry about the ones you smoke on a bad day, but celebrate the ones you didn't smoke.

Speaking of celebrating,

HAPPY 4th of JULY, EVERYONE!!!

Thayamax

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2013
Southeast Michigan
Hey, @Possum64, that was a terrific post for Donna. You always seem to know just what to say. As always, thanks for your input. :hubba:

I'm slightly bummed out...ok I'm highly bummed out! I was scheduled to work the 3pm to 11pm shift last night. So I'm waiting for the girl to relieve me and by 11:15pm she still wasn't there. I texted her...no response. At 11:30 I called...no answer and her mailbox was full, so no message left. I ended up working the whole :censored: shift! Never did hear from her either. At least I'm off the rest of today after I get some sleep. I hope she shows up for her shift tonight, otherwise I'll have to go in and work tonight again. :blink: You wouldn't believe how many times I've ended up being stuck when others either call off or don't show up, and 95% of the time it happens to me. Just lucky I guess. :rolleyes:

(/rant) ;)

Hopeful64

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2018
Thank you for helping me feel better. You guys are sooooo right...I thought for sure now that I WA at my ole trailer and no stressed, it would be a peice of cake!!!! It's like I am paying myself back for all the stress I went through in the last month. Doing better today ( yes, around a lot of smokers) but still not completely back on track. THay I'm so sorry that you have to work so hard this week. People can be so unreliable and inconsiderate. Rest as much as you can. And a huge congratulations on your 5 year mark!!!! That is simply awesome. You guys are such an inspiration on this board. Love and hugs.

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
@Hopeful64. . .

If I may be so bold to suggest, this time before you leave the trailer scrub down the whole place cabinets floor anything that's washable with a product called: "OdoBan". You can usually get that at Home Depot, or Walmart, or possibly Kmart. It's a disinfectant. Will leave your place clean & sparkling inside, and hopefully odor free from any previous sessions smoking. That way the next time you go back you might not feel like Ya want to or even tempted to smoke inside. Just a thought...;)

Last edited:

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011

Hopeful64

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2018
@Hopeful64. . .

If I may be so bold to suggest, this time before you leave the trailer scrub down the whole place cabinets floor anything that's washable with a product called: "OdoBan". You can usually get that at Home Depot, or Walmart, or possibly Kmart. It's a disinfectant. Will leave your place clean & sparkling inside, and hopefully odor free from any previous sessions smoking. That way the next time you go back you might not feel like Ya want to or even tempted to smoke inside. Just a thought...;)
:thumb: That is a fantastic idea @Uncle ! Thank you so much. I haven't smoked in my car for well over 2 months so I could make the same rule for the trailer. Vaping inside and if you want a cigarette; go outside! Now.... I just need to get disiplined!!:sleep::shock::rolleyes: so I promise to try this!!! Starting tomorrow! !!!:lol: C'mon guys... I'm just tryin to have a little fun .... feeling up lifted and hopeful again tonight.... .thanks to you guys!!:banana:

Possum64

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
@Hopeful64 Hey Donna! Good to see you are sounding happier again. It is a tough road, but you are doing well - staying focused and positive is half the battle.

In your own time, when you are ready, it would be a great idea to try to smoke outside only as @Uncle has hinted at. I stopped smoking indoors about 20 years ago. When I was indoors where others were smoking I made the decision to step outside. Even though I continued to smoke, it did help me cut down on quite a few cigs for sure.

So maybe that is something you could try for a while - smoking outside only and vaping indoors. You might knock a couple more cigs off your daily tally!

I have kept the same practice with vaping (outside only) - for me, it cuts down on the 'mindless' habit of vaping for the sake of it and I REALLY enjoy it when I do have a vape!

@Thayamax Thanks for your kind words :oops:

Re your work - I would be totally *^+ off if someone failed to show up for a shift! How can they get away with that?! And to not call or advise you that they would not be coming to work - no excuse and such poor manners. What if you were not available to continue with the shift?
My blood boils for you just thinking about it! And this seems to be a regular occurrence? :-x

Thayamax

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2013
Southeast Michigan
Thanks, @Possum64. Whenever I get stuck working midnights it's extremely inconvenient. I'm diabetic so I would end up being stuck without my meds or insulin. After a few times I finally got wise and started leaving a vial of insulin at work and my most needed med in a little pill box in my purse. It's happened to me so many times over the last 6 months I need to start bringing all my nighttime meds with me at all times.

There are 2 other girls that work midnights other than me. They've both called off last minute several times, and both have at least 2 no call no shows. They might get written up, but at my job write ups mean nothing and they know it. It just gets added to their pile, and they both know that, too.

Oh, well. At least I got some overtime and holiday pay out of it, so I'll look on the bright side of it. :)

Donna, it's nice to see you in such a positive mood. :D Keep on smiling!

Possum64

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I'm diabetic so I would end up being stuck without my meds or insulin.
This is exactly what I mean! You could get seriously unwell not taking meds as required - and having to work a double shift (including a midnight) is no good for anyone's health. Some people are so selfish and thoughtless.

I honestly don't know how you do it. As I am getting older I notice my tolerance for shift work is decreasing :cry:.

Guess looking on the bright side ($$$) is one way of coping!

tgs3

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
As I am getting older I notice my tolerance for shift work is decreasing :cry:.
As I get older, I have noticed that my tolerance of any kind of work is decreasing! :) And by the way, yesterday was my 55th consecutive cigarette free day. I spent three months being an occasional smoker. But, as I noticed people saying when I joined ecf, cigs began to taste worse and worse. Really! But I dual used for a long time, and when I stopped worrying about that I really began to make progress.

Possum64

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
As I get older, I have noticed that my tolerance of any kind of work is decreasing!
So true!
cigs began to taste worse
And true again! Even though I am still having the odd cig or two I REALLY don't enjoy them as much as I do vaping. I should just NOT have any more cigs....but....
What strange creatures we humans can be!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread