The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Still smoking support and chat thread

Discussion in 'Switching' started by loxmythe, Jan 26, 2014.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Skwij

Skwij Senior Member ECF Veteran

Sep 4, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Just thought I'd post a picture of tonight's main gear. These seem to be the default with others making guest appearances so to speak.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 3
  2. FranC

FranC TWR Co-Moderator Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Very nice:)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Skwij

Sep 4, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks!

I seem to have a drip tip thang......

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1
  4. Possum64

Possum64 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 25, 2017
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hey @Skwij! Loved your chatty, newsy post! Sounds like you have heaps going on as usual with your life! Hope your hubs Mum has a wonderful 91st birthday. :thumbs:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  5. Skwij

Sep 4, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks, @Possum64

Life is life, and it goes on until it doesn't, right? We've all been there, done that, in whatever form life chooses for each of us.

I hope that Florence has a wonderful birthday, too, even if she does drive the rest of us absolutely crackers! Gman's (hubby) Dad is turning 90 in October, so it's a pretty big year for the parentals. Sometimes I wish we weren't so far away; then I talk to him on the phone tonight and it's all "dang, I'm SO glad we don't live closer", sometimes.

That said, I can't wait to see him on Tuesday evening when he finally gets home.

Here's some irony: last time we were down there in January we stopped by a vape store and he tried a new juice. LOVED IT. Bought 3 @ 60ml. Vaped the heck out of it and then scrooged it for the last 1/2 bottle. I can't find it online for him, even though it's made right here in Ontario.

So far he's bought 4 bottles while there, and vaped just about a full bottle.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Thayamax

Thayamax PIF MODERATOR Extraordinaire Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Mar 7, 2013
    Southeast Michigan
    You've got some nice gear, and love the drip tips! I especially enjoy your
    newsy updates. It makes me feel like I know you better. :) I hope your in-laws and you enjoy the birthday celebration. :bday: When you get that old you're allowed to drive everyone nuts with no repercussions. You've earned the right. :lol:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. tgs3

tgs3 Super Member ECF Veteran

Aug 3, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey guys, just checking in. Yesterday was my 71st consecutive cig free day. When I stopped smoking back in early May, I had already beat the physical addiction - I was only smoking 3 or 4 per week. What finally lifted for me was a psychological obsession - the belief that smoking in stressful situations make those situations less stressful - it doesn't. The belief that a nice situation can be made nicer by smoking - not true.

Dual using is a perfectly valid lifestyle - even long term. But in my case, it is great to have the monkey totally off my back.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Love Love x 3
  8. Thayamax

Supporting member
    Mar 7, 2013
    Southeast Michigan
    Congratulations again @tgs3. As you said, dual using is perfectly acceptable for those who are content with it. For those who choose to go that extra mile and are successful, that's great. I'm so glad you were able to do it and completely beat your addiction. It feels great, doesn't it? :vapor::toast: :thumbs:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Skwij

Sep 4, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Making a mental note here. You're so very very right, and even though I think most of us KNOW that, we succumb to the "oh sh!te, light a smoke, it's easier and more satisfying".

That mental thing is tough. I know, I think. Perhaps. Maybe?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. Skwij

Sep 4, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    In other news, Gman is en route home. He's holed up for the night in Edmunston, NB, Canada, which is more than halfway back to us in Ontario. He's been fed, beered, and chillaxed, according to him.

The drive is brutal. It's 20 hours in the vehicle, and I don't care how comfy said vehicle is, it gets dammed uncomfy at about hour 8. It's like get out for a stretch, a pee, a coffee or a iced cap, and then get back in and OMFG really? the same position again????? for hours and hours?????

Give me a plane ticket. 3 hours and done, even with a 30 min layover in Halifax, just enough time to get off the plane, go to the lounge, have a pee, then present the ticket for the next leg. Resume position for 40 mins and done.

Costs about the same too, what with 3 fillups of the Chevy Avalanche, plus a hotel, EACH WAY.

Yep, I prefer flying. Especially non-stop

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. tgs3

Aug 3, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yes,when I think about it. What is strange is I don’t think about smoking anymore & I am around a person who smokes. It did take nine months or so to get to this place - so if u are just starting the journey - keep that in mind. This thread is the perfect place for people like me who found quitting/cutting down hard

• Love Love x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Skwij

Sep 4, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    How about those of us who are 3 YEARS in?

I've been perfectly fine with dual using for the last 3 years; it's only recently that I've been toying with the idea of quitting.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  13. tgs3

Aug 3, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    Skiwij, from my point of view, dual using is a perfectly valid way to go I am surprised that I am not dual using! I believe that people should live the lifestyle they are comfortable with - there is already enough stress Harm reduction is important & that’a where vaping comes in

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Thayamax

Supporting member
    Mar 7, 2013
    Southeast Michigan
    There are many dual users on ECF, some for a long time. They are comfortable with harm reduction rather than quitting, and that is their choice to make. My goal from the start was to quit and I managed to do it. What's important is that you're happy with having reached your own personal goal.

I'm with you, @tgs3, I live with 2 heavy smokers and yet I never think of smoking even when they're both smoking near me. Thank goodness for vaping!! :vapor:

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  15. tgs3

Aug 3, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    One more thing - when I joined ecf last August, I read a lot by ex-smokers & one of the things they said was cigarettes began to taste not so good. A year ago I was like ‘yeah right’ But they were right Of the last 10 cigs
    I smoked all but one was a let down.

That has definitely made quitting easier. But like I said previously, this did not happen over night.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 3
  16. Hopeful64

Hopeful64 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Apr 21, 2018
    Hey everyone! Just wanted to check in this week and let you all know I'm still doing pretty good. And I do have some (what I hope) will be exciting news to tell you all next week when I have time to type out a pretty interesting discovery I made this week that I hope will keep me on track at the campgrounds! But you'll have to wait until I can get some time to type my little story out (I'm a slow 2-finger typer) So....to be continued....;)

So always, thanks for all the encouraging stories that I read here that have kept me going...... and all of you have a most wonderful weekend! Big ((hugs)) to you all! :wub:

• Like Like x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. Possum64

Possum64 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 25, 2017
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hey @Hopeful64 - looking forward to hearing about your cunning new 'camping plan'. Can't believe you are keeping us in suspense! :pervy:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  18. tgs3

Aug 3, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    Tomorrow will mark the one year anniversary of my beginning to vape and joining ecf. I have not had a cigarette since May 11 (83 days). Hope all are well!

• Love Love x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  19. Hopeful64

Hopeful64 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Apr 21, 2018
    Congratulations on the one year tgs3! That is just darn beyond awesome!! Be so proud of yourself!!

I couldn't go away for 10 days without reporting in. I am so sorry for not writing this week but I have been so incredibly busy that I have been too tired to write. A hairdresser has to 'pay' bigtime when she wants 10 days off!! Lol

I just wanted to let you know that I am still vaping approximately one pack of real cigs a day but have not (besides a couple of slips) opened up the second pack in 4 months. I was hoping to be a little further along (like down to 12 every day) but I guess I will try not to be too hard on myself and just be proud that I am not smoking 3 packs a day anymore.

The new method that I am practicing in the last week is with a new piece of Equipment that I absolutely love. It's called, ''Aspire, Breeze 2'' and I have zero nicotine in the juice! I came to discover that I was choking so much with all my vapes with the different strengths of nicotine that many, many days I wanted to give up. The zero nicotine allows for a really smooth, tight vape and I can really inhale this and NO choking and coughing whatsoever. My friend at the vape store thinks it is psychological for me. She suggested that it might be just a good, tight draw,(like my cigarette) a good throat hit and lots of smoke coming out. And with the zero nicotine, I can do this and haven't choked at all. And it's working. I absolutely LOVE this new device!!

Anyway, off I go to the campgrounds tomorrow with my counted out real smokes and my new vape. And of course, I'll take the others for backups. I will check back in when I get home to let you know how it worked because the campgrounds are a huge 'trigger' for me.

Love to all of you and always....thank you for all the support you have given me in the last 4 months! (((hugs to all)))

This is my new vape!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 3
  20. FranC

FranC TWR Co-Moderator Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    One pack a day is way better than 3 any day:thumbs: Lets hope your little Breeze can cut that down even more.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Love Love x 3