Status
Not open for further replies.

MediocreTrombonist

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
Titusville, FL
It has been a long time since I was on this thread!

Once I got my liquinator situation settled in, I hit cruise control on all vaping issues: just buying cartos and juice, not thinking about anything else.

The carto tank revolution really has changed the way I vape. All my tanks are still holding up well, just buying juice in larger quantities now.

tigerlily

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2010
Oklahoma
I know what you mean. I probably should do an update on my liquinator experiences though. I bought both the delrin and SS models when they first came out and loved them. Many people complained about the fact that they were easy to spin and they were "slidey" on the carto. Although my tanks could spin if I wanted them to and they were easy to slide up and down if I wanted to slide them, that was never really an issue with me. I just found that made them easier to fill. I never had any leaking problem with them at all.

I liked them so well that I decided to get a couple more. This time I ordered a purple and a green aluminum one with the color coordinated drip tips. The vendor has obviously been listening to the earlier complaints because these are so tight on the carto that I had major difficulty moving the carto at all. I can't fill them the way I do my earlier ones because the carto simply can't be pushed up to fill from the battery end. I have to remove the top cap (which is also difficult to do since it's a tight fit also) in order to fill the tank. I am also unable to swap cartos with a full tank with these new ones.

The tanks still work well and I am happy with them. I've just had to make some adjustments in how I work with them. I was less satisfied with the color matching drip tips that I purchased with them. Although they look terrific, they are not smoothly lathed so they feel funny on the lips. I found a colored twisted delrin tip to match the purple perfectly, but am just using the plain black drip tip on the green one since I can't find a better one to match.

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
I don't mind a slidey tank either, as long as it doesn't leak. I have lots of different kinds of tanks. They are all wonderful in their own ways. I am also a big fan of easy refilling and hot carto switching.

The drip tips from Big Daddy Vapor are glorious in your mouth, smooth to perfection and really pretty. I love my purple one as the perfect tip on my DIY grape soda juice.

Duekster

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I just tried the typical saddle valve to do a punch and it worked OK. There is a rubber gasket that came with it. I kept that and it held the carto fine. I have no idea how long the punch nail will last with repeated use.

When I went in to get the cracked tank replaced, right after new years I was told I was the 5th person that day with a cracked tank. Maybe they got a bad batch? It is a cheap part however.

tigerlily

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2010
Oklahoma
The punch nail on the saddle valve I tried bent the first time I attempted to use it. I suspect there may have been some operator error involved, but the experience convinced me it wasn't for me. I had been successfully using the dremel, but that can be a hassle and I want easy. I forked over the $40 for a vip carto punch which works great.

I'm sorry to hear about your cracked tank. I don't know about the bad batch possibility, but I know some juices can cause tanks to crack. I only use juices I know won't crack my tanks. So far, so good. I hope I didn't just jinx myself by saying that!

MediocreTrombonist

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
Titusville, FL
Thanks for the update Tigerlily!

I've been punching my own for a few months using a very.....amateur method. I have a hand clamp which I clamp the carto with, leave it laying flat on a hard surface, hold a small nail, and hammer away.

To my surprise, I've had a lot of success with that technique. Although I need to invest in some nails--the type I use are too thin and weak. I'm lucky if one nail punches more than one carto before it's too bent to be effective.

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
I think you will like using a jig and carto punch. I got mine from VaporAge. It's a good investment, makes it easy to get consistent holes every time. I didn't get along with my saddle valve, either. :)
The punch nail on the saddle valve I tried bent the first time I attempted to use it. I suspect there may have been some operator error involved, but the experience convinced me it wasn't for me. I had been successfully using the dremel, but that can be a hassle and I want easy. I forked over the $40 for a vip carto punch which works great.

I'm sorry to hear about your cracked tank. I don't know about the bad batch possibility, but I know some juices can cause tanks to crack. I only use juices I know won't crack my tanks. So far, so good. I hope I didn't just jinx myself by saying that!

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
I just push a new cart into the battery end of the dead cart and slide in. Making sure to line it up and spin it at the same time. Then I take the dead cart and put a condom on from a carto and use the spin method to get the little amount of liquid out.
What do you guys do when your carto dies and the tank is still full of juice? How would you swap it for a new one without making a mess?

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
I use a tube from a syringe that a cart will fit into it and attach a string to the open end. Then I put the cart in with the condom attatched (not all the way on) to the mouth piece end of the cart and spin it fast and all the liquid comes out. Their are videos that show this. I will try and find one for you.
what spin method would you be referring to?

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
I guess this is the place to ask. If not, maybe someone can point me to the right place.

A month or so ago, I bought a liquinator tank from Vaporesence. I'm in Dallas, and they are right up the road from me. I got the 5 ml aluminum tank, with 3 extra XL Dual Coil Punched Cartomizers.

I was very, very happy with this. A cartomizer would work for 7 to 10 days, my Boba's Bounty vaped well, everything was good.

Then I stopped in to get more cartomizers, and they were out. They said they would have more soon. For a few days, I called, and they were always still out, always saying "tomorrow". Then last week, they told me "We aren't going to be carrying those cartomizers anymore".

Well, that sucks. They sold me a tank that I like, but I can't use it without cartomizers. They did try to make it right, by giving me a plastic tank, a smaller one, that uses different cartomizers. And they gave me 3 cartomizers to go with it.

I give them big props here. They didn't have to give me that tank or those cartomizers. Doing that is very good customer service.

However, despite their trying, I'm still not happy. I've been using the new tank, and the new cartomizers, but they don't last long before they clog up. A day, maybe two, and I have to get rid of them and put a new one in.

That's a hassle, for one thing. And changing out a cartomizer every 1 or 2 days will be a lot more expensive than doing it every 7 to 10 days.

But they aren't going to carry the XL Dual Coil Punched Cartomizers anymore. I know those are Boge's, and they said they were "standard resistance", but that's it. I'm pretty sure the new ones are regular Boge cartomizers, and that the old ones were a bigger version of a Boge, and that both are stainless steel.

So, my question is "Where can I buy them." I'd prefer them punched, just like I had before, but if necessary, I'll figure out how to punch them myself.

Can anyone help me out? Where to buy, and how to punch them the way Vaporesence did?

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
Followup to my post above : If I can get cartomizer from Madvapes that will work (after I punch them) that would be ideal. But I've looked around at Madvapes, and I'm not at all sure that they have what I need.

The longer, XL version I need is a little bit wider (larger diamater) than a standard Boge cartomizer. Plus a bit longer, of course. I think the fact that it's wider is why it doesn't clog as fast.

tigerlily

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2010
Oklahoma

Duekster

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I have the 3 ML tank and run 3.0 Boge carto's in it.
If you went to Richardson, it seems that store is busy and the support is not always the best.

You might want to run over to Fort Worth and get some 411 on the use and maintenance on the tank.

Seems they have gone from 2 slots, to 1 slot to 1 punch to two punches if you ask. I suggest 2 punches if you run any VG.

I am not sure why you are having the clogging issues?

What voltage are you running?

BTW, you should drop in and say howdy on the Texas local thread too.

MediocreTrombonist

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
Titusville, FL
About the holes/slots, in my experience there are two things that determine what size opening should be used (particularly for us who open our own cartos.)

Comparatively, Boge filler is much slower to absorb the filler than a Dual Coil's filler. The slots worked great when I used Boges, but with DCs I find that one hole is plenty, and if the hole is too big, leaking will occur.

The other thing is the force of inhale. If your preference is long slow drags, a larger hole will be better suited to you, and a smaller hole for those who prefer short, more intense drags. All tank users know that the suction draws liquid into the carto, and in my experience, when a carto is slightly leaky, taking longer, less forceful inhalations can stop the flooding from occurring. On the other hand, more forecful drags are necessary on cartos that have too small a hole, or there is a risk of drying out the carto and burning it.

Just my 2 cents.

blueridge

Dec 31, 2011
central ky
Good grief, this thread is huge..... Gonna take days to decide on a tank like this.

This tank looks nice and fat, just like I want for my provari (one that sorta matches the OD of the PV). I'm kinda suprised that the original pics are only 3 ml.... I have one of the cheap slimmer tanks from Madvapes and yours looks more like it's hold 4 or more. That's what I'm shooting for. The cartos must be large diameter.

Newbie question, does the 3 ml include the liquid contained in the carto as well?

Man. So many tanks, gotta get the right cartos, right size holes or slots, etc.

I'm about to cut a slot in the carto I got for the tank from madvapes... Worried about flooding though. Guess you have to know your viscosity.

Since I'm asking newbie stuff, do most tank users slide the take up and cover the holes/slots when not vaping?

I'd better take this to the right place(s), sorry. This is gonna take awhile. Just wish someone could tell me the top 3 tanks and cartos quality wise, that would be most helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread