Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian444

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2013
QLD, Australia
I did the final filtering today, all looks very promising, no plant-like flavour, and lots of good flavour, raw as to be expected, but quite strong and refined which was not expected. Will let you know how it goes with some age. I messed up by not using just a coffee filter straight out of the freezer, but think I did OK since I left almost all the gunk in the bottom of the jars. I'm thinking of putting the next jar in the freezer at a 45 degree angle and seeing if I can suck all the muck up out of the bottom with a syringe and an 18g blunt needle. The coffee filter to catch all the gunk is probably easier though, like in GT's pic further up this page.

I guess this sort of setup is what you are referring to with the vacuum distillation, plus a vacuum source of course? I will do some more research and see what comes up. My wife will be amused at the "mad scientist" look if I go ahead :)

500ml Distillation Apparatus Distillation Set Vacuum Distillation Kit Lab Glass | eBay

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
A pure ethanol extraction is easy to distill as it boils at around 174F (79C). Using vacuum simply lowers the boiling point of a liquid but isn't truly required for distilling ethanol. The trick is to properly condense the vapor in order to turn it back into a liquid in order to recover (catch), it. The equipment you linked to would likely work fine for this, the condenser looks a bit small (short), but should work if you don't process too fast. For simple distillation, heat the ethanol above its boiling point, ensure the condenser is being cooled by water circulation (chilled water works best), and process until the extract is reduced to your desired concentration, that simple. If you're also trying to separate water from the ethanol, controlling the process temperature becomes more important, keep it -well- below 212F (100C), I'd try around 180-185F (82-85C). For vacuum distillation the temperature necessary to boil a liquid drops as the vacuum increases, I've inadvertently boiled ethanol at room temperature (Summertime), while vacuum filtering....

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Still looking for how to extract from Swedish SNUS w/o losing flavor or killing anyone

I have no idea how Swedish SNUS is made or what's actually in it, but if it's primarily tobacco I'd think flavor could be extracted from it using any of the simple extraction techniques contained in this sub forum.

gt_1955

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
South Australia
Second very cold then hot extraction, followed by frozen filtering done today. Here's what's left in the filter:

fZqhcTT.jpg

After second filtering:

0JuoHgr.jpg

Reactions: Str8vision

Bagazo

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
Still looking for how to extract from Swedish SNUS w/o losing flavor or killing anyone
Place it between your upper lip and gum.

Sorry couldn't help myself.

Snus is, traditionally, just tobacco that has been heated with bicarb (for freebasing the nic) and salt (as a preservative). New snus products might reduce/replace salt for modern preservatives. Don't really know but I have heard people say that some are very salty and others less so.

If you do an extract like most explained here you won't kill anyone unless they drink large amounts. A shotglass full (1.5oz/42ml) or more.

Something tells me that any salt in there would not be too friendly to the coil but it will probably gunk up before the salt does any damage.

Last edited:

jdoebean

Oct 25, 2014
Chicago, Il
Place it between your upper lip and gum.

Sorry couldn't help myself.

Snus is, traditionally, just tobacco that has been heated with bicarb (for freebasing the nic) and salt (as a preservative). New snus products might reduce/replace salt for modern preservatives. Don't really know but I have heard people say that some are very salty and others less so.

If you do an extract like most explained here you won't kill anyone unless they drink large amounts. A shotglass full (1.5oz/42ml) or more.

Something tells me that any salt in there would not be too friendly to the coil but it will probably gunk up before the salt does any damage.
Thank you for that, I have a freezer full of swedish match and one angry pancreas.

Bagazo

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
Thank you for that, I have a freezer full of swedish match and one angry pancreas.
One thing you have to keep in mind is that with the extraction techs that don't include some form of concentration and maybe even those that do, the resluting extracts won't scratch the itch that snus is used for by vaperors.

Now, if you just want to use up what you have on hand then a simple extract should be fine.

Last edited:

jdoebean

Oct 25, 2014
Chicago, Il
One thing you have to keep in mind is that with the extraction techs that don't include some form of concentration and maybe even those that do, the resluting extracts won't scratch the itch that snus is used for by vaperors.

Now, if you just want to use up what you have on hand then a simple extract should be fine.
Itch is dam spot on, still fall back to it. Vaping in Crookcounty Il is treated like smoking, no inside, not near doors by 30' as is spitting dip. Still manage to sip a bit like its a medical device sometimes.

Pokepie

Mar 28, 2015
Colorado
I am just about to finish my final heat steep (this should actually be the correct term here) of my first go at your technique Str8vision. The liquor was amazingly bright after the first couple batches were done. I am running five samples to start. I have very high hopes for this method. One question I have is after the freezer time couldn't you just syphon off the top strata and not mess with the gunk in the bottom? There would be nothing down there valuable to the final product would there? I hope to minimize coil gunking or is this not an issue with your final NET?

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Hope the extractions work out well for you. I haven't tried syphoning off the top clean portion after freezing but if I did I would still run it through a coffee filter just to catch any residue I may have inadvertently pulled. The oils, waxes and other undesirable elements leached during this extraction process are coil/wick killers so you want to remove as much of them as is possible. They will pass through regular filtration (even 1 micron), so precipitating them via freezing is the best option for removing them.

Reactions: gt_1955

Pokepie

Mar 28, 2015
Colorado
Hope the extractions work out well for you. I haven't tried syphoning off the top clean portion after freezing but if I did I would still run it through a coffee filter just to catch any residue I may have inadvertently pulled. The oils, waxes and other undesirable elements leached during this extraction process are coil/wick killers so you want to remove as much of them as is possible. They will pass through regular filtration (even 1 micron), so precipitating them via freezing is the best option for removing them.
1st I am planning on using a pipette to do the syphoning hopefully leaving the sediment as untouched as possible. That step will have to wait however as I am waiting for my vacuum filter paper (BS 1.5 micron) to arrive. They will end up sitting in the freezer a week. Hopefully to no ill effect. My tobacco order came in and I just couldn't wait to try.
The idea I'm tossing around now is getting some Irish Moss, which is a brewery fining agent. In beer it gets proteins to floc or congeal thus falling out of the wort. In theory it could pull more protein out without touching the flavor esters. However 1 micron or 1.5 in my case may already be doing all that can be done.

Last edited:
Reactions: Str8vision

Bagazo

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
1st I am planning on using a pipette to do the syphoning hopefully leaving the sediment as untouched as possible. That step will have to wait however as I am waiting for my vacuum filter paper (BS 1.5 micron) to arrive. They will end up sitting in the freezer a week. Hopefully to no ill effect. My tobacco order came in and I just couldn't wait to try.
I have done this and the taste was really weak. Great for me because it was what I was going for.

The idea I'm tossing around now is getting some Irish Moss, which is a brewery fining agent. In beer it gets proteins and yeast to floc or congeal thus falling out of the wort. In theory it could pull more protein out without touching the flavor esters. However 1 micron or 1.5 in my case may already be doing all that can be done.
But it does leave all the sugars and much of the dextrins that give beer mouthfeel. I'm willing to bet that these, due to the sheer volume, are the main things behind gunk.

gt_1955

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
South Australia

As GT mentioned our only local supply of pga which was the Polmos rectified spirit mentioned earlier, is no longer available. I have about 300ml left. It used to cost $62 for 500ml. I have a friend with a still, he might be able to help out.
Ian, I (or more accurately my grandson) found an online store in Oz that still stocks it: nicks . com . au ($70/500ml)

Reactions: Ian444
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread