Status
Not open for further replies.

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
People are seeming to have problems printing the right size with the currently available VAMO template file so I made one that should print accurately. The graphic portion of the page in the PDF file was saved to be no larger than the graphics themselves. That should be small enough allow it to be printed at 100%.

The dimensions in these files fit my version 2 chrome VAMO. However, I have no way of knowing if the dimensions are correct for all chrome VAMO production runs. Check with cheap printer paper before cutting the material you are using for the wrap itself. Delete the end tabs if you prefer the wrap edges to abut rather than overlap. The button placement is different than this template on my stainless steel VAMO.

Print at 100% size.
VAMO template chrome.pdf
Open source Inkscape should be able to edit it if you need to tweak dimensions. Most electronic cutters should be able to import this file.
VAMO template chrome.svg.zip
This is a cutting file and only works with Silhouette Studio software.
VAMO template chrome.studio

This photo shows the wrap pieces on the VAMO and illustrates the pieces in the template files.
file-8.jpg

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
Apologies for anyone who has seen this photo in the Show us your girly, pretty, decorated, pink! thread but I thought people here might want to see what a template looks like when used to skin a VAMO.

I skinned this chrome VAMO and Vivi Nova (standard clear tank that comes with it) with some Papilio Inkjet White Waterproof Vinyl from this sample pack. I can verify that it is waterproof. I also tested leaving some 18 mg. juice on a piece with bright red, blue, purple and black inks. It didn't smear the inks.

I used the extra glossy paper setting on my Epson XP-600 which uses Claria inks. The Papilio site indicates the Claria inks may have some problems drying. However, I didn't have any ink drying issues at all. The inks dried right away and didn't rinse off.

file-9.jpg

This pattern I made effectively hides the places where the VAMO sections come together but I can feel them through the vinyl. Using the template pieces included in the files to cover the VAMO sections separately would look better if you use a single color or a pattern that doesn't hide sins.

These files include the template I used for skinning the Vivi Nova.
Print at 100%
Vivi Nova template.pdf
Open source Inkscape should be able to edit this .svg file if you need to tweak dimensions. Also, most electronic cutter software should be able to import this file.
Vivi Nova template.svg.zip
This is a cutting file that only works with Silhouette Studio software.
Vivi Nova template.studio

I've seen a few scattered posts indicating that this 3D carbon fiber vinyl also works well to skin mods although I haven't had a chance to try it yet.
SimCarbon 3D Carbon Fiber Vinyl Film Wrap BLACK 12" x 60" Sheet
SimCarbon 3D Carbon Fiber Vinyl Film Wrap WHITE 12" X 60" Sheet

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
I don't see how I could get the perfect round holes cut.
Is there ones out there which already are cut to shape with the holes cut in?

If you are very patient you can cut the circles with a new #11 X-Acto blade. Put the vinyl on a silicone mat or cutting board and gently insert the tip of the blade on the outside diameter line of the circle, just barely deep enough to penetrate the vinyl. Pull the blade up, repeat and work your way around the circle. Go around the circle again if the circle doesn't pull free.

J-Wraps also sells skins/wraps for the VAMO. I've not used either vendor but I've seen ECF posts indicating that people have been pleased both with Vapor Skinz and J-Wraps.
J-Wraps VAMO skins/wraps

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
Hello peraspera and thank you for the skins :)

Is it just me or the .pdf is wrong ? It gives me this when I open it :

View attachment 168053

I got the same thing so I replaced the dropbox file with the file I have stored locally. Try it now and see if it works. I'm not sure what happened to the file. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread