Vandy Vape BERSERKER (24mm) MTL RTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinda

Aug 24, 2017
Try kanthal 28ga,7 wraps,2mm and put it and spread it on the deck as much cotton as possible.That works very nice for me.12,5W - 13W.a

Whoops I forgot to mention that the very first thing I put in the berserker was a copy of my doggy style build so I could do a direct comparison. 28g kanthal, 7 wraps, 2mm contact coil vaping between 10-13w, and it wasn't that impressive. The flavor seemed a little worse than the doggy so I changed over to the clapton pretty quickly.

That's what I use in my Berserker except I use SS wire.

Maybe I'll try that next time instead of kanthal. Is your coil contact or spaced?

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
Whoops I forgot to mention that the very first thing I put in the berserker was a copy of my doggy style build so I could do a direct comparison. 28g kanthal, 7 wraps, 2mm contact coil vaping between 10-13w, and it wasn't that impressive. The flavor seemed a little worse than the doggy so I changed over to the clapton pretty quickly.

Maybe I'll try that next time instead of kanthal. Is your coil contact or spaced?
I only use spaced. I find it allows more flavor.

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
Spaced coils are my biggest frustration in vaping right now haha. I can't seem to wick them properly to avoid the big POP but I'll give it another go tomorrow. Maybe I should try with rayon and just wick it pretty tight?
Use more wick.

kinda

Aug 24, 2017
Yeah I mean I've tried wicking tight in the past and still got the POP. At one point I thought the extra cotton might have been causing it by having too much juice build up inside the coil. It's also possible I was spacing the coil too far apart though. Going to try and space it as minimally as I can this time around.

Thanks for all the input!

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
Yeah I mean I've tried wicking tight in the past and still got the POP. At one point I thought the extra cotton might have been causing it by having too much juice build up inside the coil. It's also possible I was spacing the coil too far apart though. Going to try and space it as minimally as I can this time around.

Thanks for all the input!
Post a pic of your build

kinda

Aug 24, 2017
This is what I ended up with. Not perfect but I tried to space as little as possible. Coil is around 0.6 ohms. Haven't wicked yet.

y0MgohV.jpg

XFiyls7.jpg

Last edited:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
This is what I ended up with. Not perfect but I tried to space as little as possible. Coil is around 0.6 ohms. Haven't wicked yet.
Coil looks good. If extra cotton doesn't take care of your popping problem; try slowly increasing your power/temperature setting.

I don't like a "hot" vape so I tend to start at the low end of suggested power ranges. I have found (on more than one occasion:facepalm:), that if the power is too low for the particular build, that will also create popping. As I ramp up power, the popping goes away, and I get the more familiar/desired sizzle. :)

kinda

Aug 24, 2017
Okay I wicked it tightly enough to where the coil slightly moved as I was pulling the cotton through, but it didn't deform it or mess up the spacing. Still got the big POP but was able to get rid of it by turning the wattage up to 20. Now I just get the normal popping that doesn't send juice flying into my mouth.

I've been reading through this thread for the past week and making note of what builds people are using. I saw many are using spaced coils in the 8-15w range and not having issues with it. If I tried to wick it any harder I think it would be too much cotton. I'm not sure if the tails (length, fluffing, etc) would have an effect on getting that big pop or not.

I ordered some muji pads in case the way I'm wicking with cotton bacon is the issue. Pads look so much easier since I can just cut off strips by width rather than peel off strands and try to gauge the thickness. I'll keep vaping it at 20w for now but still want to figure out how to improve my wicking in the future.

That being said, I really enjoy the draw and flavor on the berserker! I bought a SJMY doggy style before this since I always thought I liked a loose MTL, but now I'm realizing how much I prefer a tighter draw. The doggy actually seems too airy now :D

newyork13

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
western Massachusetts
Ok, so understand before you all jump on me, that I'm asking this question for information, and there's no implied criticism on my part. (And because, though I've been using rayon for the last few months I have a ton of organic cotton to use with vaping, since I don't use makeup. LOL.)

I was always led to believe the rayon should be tight in the coil, and the cotton fairly loose. But, @kinda is packing the cotton tight. And, the thread's responses went back and forth between cotton and rayon. And I think conflusing the two in replying to kinda.
So, cotton loose? In which case @kinda is packing too tight?

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Ok, so understand before you all jump on me, that I'm asking this question for information, and there's no implied criticism on my part. (And because, though I've been using rayon for the last few months I have a ton of organic cotton to use with vaping, since I don't use makeup. LOL.)

I was always led to believe the rayon should be tight in the coil, and the cotton fairly loose. But, @kinda is packing the cotton tight. And, the thread's responses went back and forth between cotton and rayon. And I think conflusing the two in replying to kinda.
So, cotton loose? In which case @kinda is packing too tight?

Both cotton and rayon should be snug in the coil. Cotton expands when wet. Rayon tends to shrink and compact. So, Cotton needs to have some room to move back and forth in the coil when you pull the ends on a new wick install. You always want to make sure that cotton is contacting the coil with no spaces for hot spots to form.

Rayon probably needs to be tight enough that it's a little harder to slide in the coil without bending the legs. I twist my rayon as I pull to get it to move without bending the coil legs. Later on, when you replace a Rayon wick you will find that it slides back and forth and out of the coil easily due to the initial shrinkage as it breaks in.

Trial and error will tell you where the sweet spot in flavor lies.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Yeah sorry that's my fault for making it confusing. I said I was going to try rayon next but ended up going with cotton again. I decided that I wanted to try and get the wicking down pat for cotton first, then deal with rayon later.

The cool part about Rayon is that it stays clean far longer than cotton. The coil will crust up and the rayon wick will be clean after a water wash during a coil change. Most of the time all I see is a grayish tint on the part that was under the coil after I remove the wick and run it under water. Cotton is a goner far before Rayon. I just replace Rayon once it's out of the coil, but it's cool how clean it is after a week of vaping on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread