Not open for further replies.

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
Trump Administration Weighs Ban on Flavored E-Cigarettes

Sitting in the Oval Office with Alex M. Azar II, the secretary of Health and Human Services, and Dr. Ned Sharpless, the acting Food and Drug Administration commissioner, President Trump acknowledged that there was a vaping problem, and said, “We’re going to have to do something about it.”

Mr. Azar said that the F.D.A. would outline a plan within the coming weeks for removing most flavored e-cigarettes that are not tobacco products from the market.

Pressure also began to mount as Michael R. Bloomberg, the former mayor of New York, decided to step in by announcing a $160 million push to ban flavored e-cigarettes. Long an opponent of traditional smoking, the former mayor said his organization, Bloomberg Philanthropies, would seek prohibitions of flavored e-cigarettes in at least 20 cities and states.

11ECIGARETTES2-articleLarge.jpg

From left, Dr. Norman Sharpless, the acting F.D.A. commissioner, Melania Trump, President Trump and Alex M. Azar II, the health and human services secretary, discussing flavored e-cigarettes in the Oval Office on Wednesday.

Pamawoman

Too Blessed To Stress
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2012
Orlando
I'm out of luck because I live in a nursing home now and they don't allow diy here. I guess I could try to order supplies at my last address (it's a long story) and maybe diy there, if I can.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk
YOU are the type of vaper that we MUST fight for!! It makes me so sad to know that so many will have no choice and go back to smoking. This is a tragedy in the making.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
So Obama was presented with better information about vaping? Or that there was no one dying from it during his terms.. ? I'm so upset right now.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk
Nobody was dying from it then and nobody is dying from it now.

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
Barron got busted? So much for fancy private school.

This is running around Instagram. Both Grimm and Mike posted it
View attachment 837895

Thought they were fries from McDonald's at first
It's noted in this article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/tech...llateral-damage-trumps-new-ban/?noredirect=on

Hours after Trump announced the plans for a ban on Wednesday, a meme started circulating among vaping enthusiasts. It shows Trump with his hands up, holding two bouquets of cigarettes in each fist. Underneath, in bolded text, is the phrase, “MAKE AMERICA SMOKE AGAIN.”

Professional vapers have shared this meme widely, some using the hashtag #Resist and others writing long captions vowing to fight the ban. Vaping enthusiasts who connect online or meet at conferences held across the country every year belong to a tightknit community, in part because many bond over the experience of quitting regular cigarettes for e-cigarettes, Culley said.

“We feel like these products saved our lives,” he said. “People are super passionate about vaping, and I don’t think people outside vaping understand that.”

Elliot said just hours after the announcement that he had heard of “many people in the industry who were die-hard supporters of President Trump who have now denounced their support of him.

tA71ana

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Round N Round the Mulberry Bush
Human beings are so stupid (especially the one in the White House).
None of those idiots will even consider what happens when you ban something so widely used.
Creeping Volstead Act 2.0 anyone?
Criminal enterprises popping up out of nowhere to fill the void (and the crime that is precipitated as a result).
If they think Flavours are dangerous now (they aren't), just wait.
If they thing things are unregulated now, just wait.
If they bothered to look, they would see that Vape Juice Manufacturers are one the the best Self - Regulated groups out there.
Folks losing their Businesses and the Folks employed by them losing their Jobs - I do hope they remember that when 2020 rolls around.
As for these Kids.....Parents need to stop expecting everyone else (the Schools, the Cops, the Celebrities, the Neighbors, the Internet ect.) to instill Morality and Common Sense into their Kids - THAT IS THEIR JOB AS PARENTS.
I'm so sick of Parents that use their Kids to bludgeon everyone else.
And they wonder why Kids are increasingly becoming unwelcome here and there.

And for goodness' sakes, get out EARLY the day of the 2020 Presidential Election and Vote out that Maniac out of Office, because it doesn't just depend on who gets 270, it depends on who gets to 270 FIRST.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Mr. Azar said that the F.D.A. would outline a plan within the coming weeks for removing most flavored e-cigarettes that are not tobacco products from the market.
Read that statement again. I suspect it's somehow an error, either Mr. Azar put goofed or the reporting journalists did. ALL our vapes are considered "tobacco products" by the FDA.

Somehow, I don't think they're just going to go after flavored non-tobacco (cannabis?) vapes?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
It's noted in this article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/tech...llateral-damage-trumps-new-ban/?noredirect=on

Hours after Trump announced the plans for a ban on Wednesday, a meme started circulating among vaping enthusiasts. It shows Trump with his hands up, holding two bouquets of cigarettes in each fist. Underneath, in bolded text, is the phrase, “MAKE AMERICA SMOKE AGAIN.”

Professional vapers have shared this meme widely, some using the hashtag #Resist and others writing long captions vowing to fight the ban. Vaping enthusiasts who connect online or meet at conferences held across the country every year belong to a tightknit community, in part because many bond over the experience of quitting regular cigarettes for e-cigarettes, Culley said.

“We feel like these products saved our lives,” he said. “People are super passionate about vaping, and I don’t think people outside vaping understand that.”

Elliot said just hours after the announcement that he had heard of “many people in the industry who were die-hard supporters of President Trump who have now denounced their support of him.

This is the central part of the story that's at the root of the problem.

"In recent weeks, this community has been rocked by the national discussion around vaping, driven in part by the federal investigation of more than 450 cases of lung disease linked to e-cigarettes, including six deaths. Many of these patients have reported using cannabis cartridges, but health officials say it is too early to eliminate other types of vaping."

Sure, being conservative, that's fine. No one wants to jump the gun and miss something that might result in more deaths. That's how science and medicine work. You test to be sure. Which is why these decisions are being made with NO SCIENCE to back them up. But God forbid anyone let's the facts develop and act in the public's best interest, just jump on in because BT has been just waiting for this chance to muddy the waters and finally got a break they could exploit. I mean, if BT lobbyists tell politicians "this stuff is dangerous" you think they worry about being misled? After all, when did BT ever say a tobacco product was bad before, right?

By the time the health officials do rule out all the other types of vaping (big surprise) it'll be after the fact and by then, you think any of those politicians will care? Maybe a little when Medicare costs go up for the resurgence of lung cancer cases (especially now you can treat it with $100,000 worth of new drugs), more cases of worsening COPD, and the ever ubiquitous heart attacks (also more expensive to treat with the new meds available these days). But hey, just raise the Medicare tax and blame it on the other political party that its their fault taxes went up. Because they will go up, and the public won't ever see the connection. Because there will be quite the die off in vapers going back to smokes because they were unprepared to continue on their own over the next 10 years.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Human beings are so stupid (especially the one in the White House).
None of those idiots will even consider what happens when you ban something so widely used.
Creeping Volstead Act 2.0 anyone?
Criminal enterprises popping up out of nowhere to fill the void (and the crime that is precipitated as a result).
If they think Flavours are dangerous now (they aren't), just wait.
If they thing things are unregulated now, just wait.
If they bothered to look, they would see that Vape Juice Manufacturers are one the the best Self - Regulated groups out there.
Folks losing their Businesses and the Folks employed by them losing their Jobs - I do hope they remember that when 2020 rolls around.
As for these Kids.....Parents need to stop expecting everyone else (the Schools, the Cops, the Celebrities, the Neighbors, the Internet ect.) to instill Morality and Common Sense into their Kids - THAT IS THEIR JOB AS PARENTS.
I'm so sick of Parents that use their Kids to bludgeon everyone else.
And they wonder why Kids are increasingly becoming unwelcome here and there.

And for goodness' sakes, get out EARLY the day of the 2020 Presidential Election and Vote out that Maniac out of Office, because it doesn't just depend on who gets 270, it depends on who gets to 270 FIRST.
You really don't understand what's at stake in any way do you? You obviously didn't watch the clown show called the Democrat debate tonight.

I also hate to tell you that vapers don't have any friends on either side of the aisle be it demonrats or republicants.

tA71ana

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Round N Round the Mulberry Bush
You really don't understand what's at stake in any way do you? You obviously didn't watch the clown show called the Democrat debate tonight.

I also hate to tell you that vapers don't have any friends on either side of the aisle be it demonrats or republicants.
What I see is a slow roll towards Prohibition by a bunch of knee-jerk Politicans (regardless of Affiliation).
I see Parents who are apparently not taking too much an active role in how their Kids are being raised and figure that the World should be made idiot - proof for their little darlings.
I don't recall mentioning Democrats or Republicans either in my Post.
So enlighten me since you feel I do not understand.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
No, the politicians seem to have banded together on this one.

I will be preparing for the worst case. However, I am going to make a prediction, how true it will be, I am uncertain. I think there will be a (starting slowly) fairly in the end draconian vaping ban.

I don't believe it will last; I do think pendulum swings. How long it will take, I'm not sure. But, I do think this type of thing can be so reactionary to start, it sort of gently sways backwards.

In case I am entirely wrong I will prepare for the worst to the best of my ability. Thanks to ECF I am in a LOT better shape than many and will be "doing my worst" until the time comes, whenever that actually will be.

I will say that when it comes to achieving things that I need and at this point, well, vaping is a NEED, I have been fairly lucky and pretty good at it. I just hate the black/grey market-- it's expensive, there IS an element of danger involved, no matter HOW much research you do and precautions you take and it's usually 3--4 times more expensive.

Which is why I am so grateful to ECF.

Anna

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Secretary Azar is actually blaming the Obama administration for allowing "these products to go on to the market in an unregulated way, by delaying enforcement, in the hopes that people consuming combustible tobacco would transition to a less harmful nicotine delivery vehicle."
That is of course incorrect. Under Obama's FDA, the PMTA dealine was August 8th, 2018. That's more than 13 months ago now. It was Trump's FDA that initiated the delay, first to August of 2022, but later they pulled the deadline for flavored products forward by one year to August of 2021.

Then a couple of months ago there was a court ruling that this delay was not proper because it didn't go through the correct regulatory process (notice of proposed rulemaking, public comment period, and so on); that they couldn't do that simply by issuing "guidance". This resulted in a decree/settlement that the new PMTA deadline for all products would be March 11, 2020.

Bottom line, we've been on borrowed time since August 8th, 2018. Does it really matter that much whether they ban flavored products in another month or two (after they issue new guidance and give 30 days notice) or whether it happens next March? Because next March, everything that doesn't have a PMTA submitted is banned, regardless whether it's a flavor that "appeals to children" or not.

Pamawoman

Too Blessed To Stress
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2012
Orlando
Question about the President's wife was a serious question. Why is she there?
I think Barron must have got busted with a Juul and she was there to make sure Trump said the words she wanted to hear. Sounds like a parenting issue?? JS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread