Variable Volt Gripper

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunderpersonn

Verified Member
Jul 4, 2012
Madison, WI
Hello to Everyone,
Thanks for all of the valuable information. I think I'll be purchasing one of these units. I have a couple questions:
1.) Someone mentioned that ohm meter was off by .2. Has anyone else experienced inaccurate ohm measurements?
2.) Another person mentioned the kit came with a junky battery charger. I don't see where I can get a better quality battery charger on Madvapes. Any links of where I might purchase a higher quality charger for the batteries?
3.) Based on your opinion, am I better off purchasing just the box and getting a different set of batteries? I don't have any of these batteries and can't decide between the kit or just the unit.

Thanks in advance!

BubbaBlue

Verified Member
Mar 5, 2012
Maryland
Hello to Everyone,
Thanks for all of the valuable information. I think I'll be purchasing one of these units. I have a couple questions:
1.) Someone mentioned that ohm meter was off by .2. Has anyone else experienced inaccurate ohm measurements?
2.) Another person mentioned the kit came with a junky battery charger. I don't see where I can get a better quality battery charger on Madvapes. Any links of where I might purchase a higher quality charger for the batteries?
3.) Based on your opinion, am I better off purchasing just the box and getting a different set of batteries? I don't have any of these batteries and can't decide between the kit or just the unit.

Thanks in advance!
I was probably the one who mentioned the ohm meter being off. It's not. Operator error on my end not realizing the carto heating up causes the ohms to go up. Doh. It's pretty close.

Never tried MV IMR batts... had some AWs already.

gunderpersonn

Verified Member
Jul 4, 2012
Madison, WI
Thanks for the info!
I'm still confused where I can pick up a good charger. Does anyone have a link where I might order. Madvapes doesn't seem to have one. Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place. I'd be happy to order the kit but I already have tanks galore and cartos. I'd be happy to get the batteries from madvapes but I seem to remember the madvapes person posted they didn't have batteries sold separately that would work. Additionally, they don't offer the charger separately. Any links on their website for these items would be most appreciated:
IMR 18350 Charger
IMR 18350 Batteries that work on the VV Gripper.

Sorry for being such an idiot but I know nothing about this since all I've owned are KGO batteries. Google searches seem to result in nothing, or I'm sure about what is being offered. I'm looking forward to my first VV device!

Thanks again,
Dawn

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
IMR 18350 Charger
IMR 18350 Batteries that work on the VV Gripper.

Sorry for being such an idiot but I know nothing about this since all I've owned are KGO batteries. Google searches seem to result in nothing, or I'm sure about what is being offered. I'm looking forward to my first VV device!

Thanks again,
Dawn

The VV Gripper takes 18650 IMR batteries, the different numbers designate different sizes...:) MV has them available here:

IMR 18650, LiMn 2000mAh Battery - IMR Batteries - Batteries and Chargers

GTL Li-Ion Battery Charger - Li-Ion Chargers - Batteries and Chargers

Bassmanspiff

Verified Member
Jun 8, 2011
Mount Carmel Illinois
Here's another charger HG-1210W Lithium Ion Battery Charger 50 cents more and it comes with a car charger... pretty sure they are just the same charger rebranded. I have one that's branded Trustfire that works like a charm.

As far as the Ohm checking, It seems to be pretty spot on. advertized 3ohm boge cartos register at 2.9 and 1.5ohm smoktech dual coils read straight up 1.5. Even helped me figure out some mystery cartos from the bottom of my vape box. Damn my disorganization.

Last edited:

Rader2146

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Waco, TX
All boost regulators use pulse width modulation. It's the basis of what makes them work the way they do. The real question is whether they have a properly matched inductor and capacitor(s) to provide a flat constant voltage.

@2:31 shows square wave converted into flat DC with an inductor and capacitor.

scinsc

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2010
USA
Anyone got any tips on getting the battery door to open easier?

I have tried to open it with my hand and for my device it is 100% impossible. I end up having to side a card down and open the door.

I hope you are sliding it to the side and not trying to just pop it off straight down. Hard to tell from the description. To me the latch on the battery door is the only thing I am leery of with this PV. Not sure how I would fix it if it broke off.

I really like this thing. Very comfortable and easy to use. Pocket friendly and I’m getting good battery life with it. Not sure it would survive being stepped on but I am pretty careful with my PV’s.

txtumbleweed

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Walla Walla
Anyone got any tips on getting the battery door to open easier?

I have tried to open it with my hand and for my device it is 100% impossible. I end up having to side a card down and open the door.

You must be talking about the V8. The Gripper battery compartment is much easier to open.

GIMike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Around OKC, OK
So, my round ego twist rolled off the table and died. I was thinking of getting a VV mod, and I think this device may have me sold. I can't afford the kit (already have a tank and plenty of cartos), so thinking about making my own kit on the site. But it's awfully expensive (compared to my ego-twist @ $25), any codes I can use? Sorry if this is mentioned elsewhere, gripper is all I have on my mind.

**EDIT** Was "building" my kit and found this, but I'm guessing that Protected 18650 Battery, 3000 mAh - Li-Ion Batteries - Batteries and Chargers wouldn't be something that would fit or want to be used in this? Sorry, I've been an ego user for far too long, don't know much about mods and separate batts

Last edited:

Errol

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Salt lake City, Ut
You must be talking about the V8. The Gripper battery compartment is much easier to open.

Hi Tex. I have the same problem with the Gripper as with the V8 except the Gripper has a wider gap at the hing end of the battery door so I can use a dull kitchen knife to gently wedge the battery door open with no harm to the door or body.

Errol

txtumbleweed

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Walla Walla
Hi Tex. I have the same problem with the Gripper as with the V8 except the Gripper has a wider gap at the hing end of the battery door so I can use a dull kitchen knife to gently wedge the battery door open with no harm to the door or body.

Errol

Thanks Errol I didn't realize some were having problems with opening them. My Gripper slides open very easily and it is much easier to put the 18650 in it than the two 18350's in the V8. I definately don't like the battery compartments on the V8.
I've only used the Gripper a few days but so far I really like it. I like the LED display and button setup much better too plus nice to have another PV that reads ohms. How are you liking yours?

Errol

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Salt lake City, Ut
Thanks Errol I didn't realize some were having problems with opening them. My Gripper slides open very easily and it is much easier to put the 18650 in it than the two 18350's in the V8. I definately don't like the battery compartments on the V8.
I've only used the Gripper a few days but so far I really like it. I like the LED display and button setup much better too plus nice to have another PV that reads ohms. How are you liking yours?

I ended up using 18340 batteries in my V8, the 350s were just too tight getting in and out and I was concerned I would end up breaking it.

Really like the layout and the readout on the Gripper but I have a problem with it. Have had a ticket in for a refund since last week but no response yet.

Errol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread