VG Pipe Tobacco Essense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vash

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2012
ethervapes.com
Yer I can't wait. I am hoping that the flavouring can mask some of the less pleasant premade e liquids I have taking up storage room, also provide a great daily vape with my plain e liquid. I hope I'm not expecting too much!

Since I started extracting I find that they are my All day vapes now.I still vape few other dessert style blends that I DIY but NETs in my Reo are the best vape I have had :)

Can anyone recommend a good pipe tobacco that has cake tones to it ? Would love something with a pound cake or cupcake taste too it.

azzaman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Vg doesn't really boil, I had a bit of steam stuff coming up. Looked hot. Put the vanilla tobacco in. Mixed it then put in back on the heat for 30 seconds. Running cold water around the saucepan to cool it down. Smells awesome. Colour is very dark already. I'll wait and see and report back.

Note: I did 100ml vg to 5 large tablespoons. I think it was too much tobacco. Next time I am going to use less and compare the two.

Last edited:

azzaman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Did a quick test vape, dry burn on my reo, couple of drops on the coil. Then I put a ml or two in the bottle. I was too lazy to filter. So I just grabbed a small amount from the saucepan through a needle.

Considering it wasn't filtered and I only did it a few minutes ago. This stuff is awesome. I feel like I got a little hit from something. Which I wasn't expecting. I will be more patient now and wait until it has had some time to develop more.

Rlafontaine1971

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Augusta ga
They both turned out about as well as they could. They taste pretty much just like pipe tobacco, although minus the burning taste. The latakia in the Frog Morton though does add some smokiness to it, which works well if you like those kind of blends.

They taste much, much better when properly filtered.

vackit.jpg

Rlafontaine1971

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Augusta ga
Is that your filtration set up? woah!

That setup cost less than $60. The filters I use are more suited for capturing the microscopic particles (plant material) and the little hand pump is used to pull a vacuum. The end product is much cleaner, coils last a hell of a lot longer and the taste is much better. I didn't realize the plant material had that much of an impact on the flavor but once it starts hardening on your coil the flavor starts getting muted. If you plan on using NETS continuously then I would highly recommend one of these. I've been experimenting with some different extraction equipment lately too.

Vash

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2012
ethervapes.com
That setup cost less than $60. The filters I use are more suited for capturing the microscopic particles (plant material) and the little hand pump is used to pull a vacuum. The end product is much cleaner, coils last a hell of a lot longer and the taste is much better. I didn't realize the plant material had that much of an impact on the flavor but once it starts hardening on your coil the flavor starts getting muted. If you plan on using NETS continuously then I would highly recommend one of these. I've been experimenting with some different extraction equipment lately too.
Where did you get that from?

Chinook

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
OR, USA
I saw these mentioned in another thread.

Syringe Filters PTFE 25mm 0.45um 10pack: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I haven't used them yet but if I decide to experiment with DIY NETs, I'll try them. Some people mentioned that they use these AFTER filtering the extracts through coffee filters or syringe+cotton ball combo first. These filters should be OK with small scale extractions less than 100 mLs. Rlafontaine1971's impressive filtering system will be probably worth for bigger scale projects :)

LucentShadow

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Michigan, USA
I saw these mentioned in another thread.

Syringe Filters PTFE 25mm 0.45um 10pack: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I haven't used them yet but if I decide to experiment with DIY NETs, I'll try them. Some people mentioned that they use these AFTER filtering the extracts through coffee filters or syringe+cotton ball combo first. These filters should be OK with small scale extractions less than 100 mLs. Rlafontaine1971's impressive filtering system will be probably worth for bigger scale projects :)

I've seen a few say that those work well, but I'm unsure what they are doing to pre-filter differently than I am doing.

I got those exact syringe filters, and they instantly clog on my extracts. I do a big cotton plug in a syringe as a first filter, changing it for every 10-20ml, then 2-3 average density coffee filters with no perforations.

Getting one drop through the syringe filter is exceedingly difficult, and is probably being forced around the filter with the amount of force required. I can clear them by back-flushing them with water, so I know that they are not plugged by defect. Apparently I need better filtration before these would be useful, and I don't see any better readily-available options.

I'd also be interested to know more about Rlafontaine1971's filtration setup, as it looks like it may be the step needed before my syringe filters, or perhaps good enough by itself.

Chinook

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
OR, USA
I've seen a few say that those work well, but I'm unsure what they are doing to pre-filter differently than I am doing.

I got those exact syringe filters, and they instantly clog on my extracts. I do a big cotton plug in a syringe as a first filter, changing it for every 10-20ml, then 2-3 average density coffee filters with no perforations.

Getting one drop through the syringe filter is exceedingly difficult, and is probably being forced around the filter with the amount of force required. I can clear them by back-flushing them with water, so I know that they are not plugged by defect. Apparently I need better filtration before these would be useful, and I don't see any better readily-available options.

I'd also be interested to know more about Rlafontaine1971's filtration setup, as it looks like it may be the step needed before my syringe filters, or perhaps good enough by itself.

Indeed, interesting! Thanks for sharing. You are doing quite a bit pre filtering too! I wonder if other people are using the larger micron syringe filters instead of these 0.45 um ones.

Rlafontaine1971

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Augusta ga

I use 1.5 micron filter paper inside of the Buchner funnel. Cotton is a good pre-filter but wont capture or retain microscopic particles. When I first started doing this I was using cotton and high quality coffee filter papers. The filtering process took a very long time, was a little messy and just wasn't as effective as I was hoping for.

Also, If you want to add a nice little flavor bump to your NET then throw in a cocoa bean, vanilla bean, dried cherry or something like that in with your tobacco while your doing the extraction. I've been doing all kinds of extractions over the last couple of months.

Forgot to mention this. It's more of a personal preference for me but I've been adding anywhere from 10% - 20% vodka to my VG for all of my NET extractions.

Last edited:
I used the coffee filter method several times on mine, and there's no visible sediment. I was worried that plant matter might be changing the flavor because my Frog Morton extract was only so so. But then I tried my Molto Dolce and it was glorious. Damn near perfect.

My method definitely isn't as efficient as some, but it seems as long as you drop your bottle of extract in some hot (but not near boiling) water, it thins out enough that it filters through coffee filters within a few hours. Otherwise it might take DAYS if it isn't thin first.

I like the idea of thinning the VG with vodka as well, as that would make the process a whole lot easier.

Chinook

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
OR, USA
An idea for 1-step filtering...

1) Warm up the extract in a warm water bath
2) Shape a cotton ball so it'll snugly fit into the syringe
3) Cut up a circular piece of coffee filter so that it'll enclose the bottom and sides of the shaped cotton ball but not the top
4) Shove cotton ball + coffee filter combo into the syringe with the coffee filter part facing the tip part of the syringe
5) Attach one of those micron filters at the tip of the syringe
6) Slowly and patiently press in the juice :)

Will this work?

Paper filter when using high pressure, like in a syringe, could cause the paper to rip and allow particulates through the filter.

Has anyone tried any of the Spectra woven filters? They look like they could be promising, and they are autoclavable, so I would think the pressure wouldn't be an issue.

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
The main reason I don't use extractions more often is, even after cotton/syringe filtering and multiple runs through coffee filters I end up with gunk. I don't have an visible particulates in the juice. What happens I start vaping and for the first 1 ml I'm totally floored. OMG, this is it! Then around the 1 ml mark I start to get a burning flavor that I unfortunately enjoy lol. Then I realize I'm burning things at the coil and being reminded of well...burning tobacco. Then I forget about it for a few months.

Next time I do this I'm going to try something like the above

EDIT: And this was much worse with the pipe tobaccos I've used. When I used a cigar it actually vaped clean for much longer, not surprising. But I'm not really a cigar man...

Rlafontaine1971

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Augusta ga
Where did you get that from?

It would be best to just do a google search for Buchner filter with hand pump and go from there. You can get them on Amazon, Ebay or directly from the supply shops. I got mine from a laboratory supply house while I was on the road a few months back. You can get it as a complete kit or purchase each item separately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread