who says that VMOD XL is the best bottom feeder on the earth ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fernand

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2010
Californeea
I can't say anything about "worth it".

But it's clear you must provide a wall, a surface or wire for the little grounding spring on the Kick, to attach it electrically to the negative terminal. That's an easy mod to the XL.

Then the batteries have to be shorter to fit the Kick + battery in the XL, so it's not the 18650, it's more like an 18500. They sell the right batteries, and it seems they must be High Drain type, i.e. IMR, which put out more instantaneous current but have less capacity.

So it's a drop in capacity and vape duration for three reasons. The battery is smaller, it's an IMR type, and you're raising the voltage, there are some losses there as well. So if you were to actually run it at the same exact voltage, say 3.7 volts, it cannot vape as long as the standard 18650 mechanical setup at 3.7 volts.

The Kick is not adjusted for voltage. Like the Darwin, it's a wattage regulator. There's a little trimmer potentiometer on top that you set the wattage with. The Kick compensates for the resistance of the atty and changes the voltage to maintain a constant wattage.

If you vape with a LR atomizer, say 1.5 ohms, on a 3.7 volt battery, the wattage you use is

3.7 / 1.5 * 3.7 = (3.7 ^ 2) / 1.5 = 9.12 watts

If you now pop on a 3 ohm atty, you will probably also want 9.12 watts. The Kick will automatically compensate to maintain around 9.12 watts. The voltage will have to increase to

SQRT (9.12 * 3) = 5.23 volts

You can check that it's correct:

5.23 / 3 * 5.23 = 9.12 watts

How exactly you set the little trimmer with a screwdriver in the XL and where you set it is something actual users will have to tell you.

But one more thing is worth mentioning. There are people who believe that wattage is the arbiter of how much vapor you'll get, and it makes sense, since wattage is power, heat, energy. But in practice it's a little more complicated. For instance there are devices like the 3 ohm StarDust clearomizer that theoretically should be weakie vapes on an eGo battery, since the wattage is only:

3.4 / 3 * 3.4 = 3.85 watts

and yet a StarDust clearomizer kicks out darned good vapor on an eGo battery, showing that wattage is not the only factor: the construction of the atomizer can change the required wattage a lot. If you apply the 5.23 volts you would expect to need for a good vape on a 3 ohm StarDust, it's too much and will generally pop the coil in seconds.

So what I'm saying is that a set-it-and-forget-it device that maintains constant wattage is not quite going to require no adjustments, there will be exceptions. And adjusting the Kick is inconvenient since you have no access to the trimpot from the side or from the top in an XL. That's why I haven't jumped at the Kick.

Now in practice, the constant wattage theory works for a lot of atties/cartos, and many people like the Kick, so they'll tell you ...

One more thing. I've come to believe that good vapor comes from an atty with many turns in the coil. This creates a finer mesh through which the vapor is created. On most LR atomizers there are only 3 or so loose turns in the coil, and the vapor is mediocre. If the makers use a special lower resistance wire, it takes more wire length to get the same resistance, so such coils will have more turns. That's what the better LR atties like the HH.357 have. The old style 3-3.5 ohm atties also may have say 8 turns, but the resistance is high, so you need say 5 volts to get a good vape. My expectation is that with a Kick you might get good vapor even with low cost standard resistance atties (run at 5 volts), and you might not need to buy the "cisco coil" type LR atties you need to get good vapor at 3.7 volts. That's a big plus if it works out.

Last edited:

jherron

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2011
West Virginia
I just recieved my vmod xl , so far its definitely a great mod for the money. ive been wanting a reo grand for some time now but i can never seem to catch one while there instock so i said screw it ill give the vmod a shot and im glad i did . its size is very pocket friendly . this will now be my primary on the go device . previoulsy it was a megalodon in mini mode with a carto tank attached , but the 18350 just didnt have the battery life i wanted . the vmod has all i need plus some in a nice compact design .now I kind of wish i went the bottom feeder path in the beginning .

i do have one question though , the manual said to refill when you got down to a 1/4 of the bottle left . can you not feed this thing dry ?if so that is a bummer

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
Jherron -- I sure have fed to a dry bottle with good result! And, I hadn't heard that mentioned before---new set of instructions perhaps? The only thing I see is that you do have to tilt the bottle more degrees when the bottle is getting empty. I'm not the only one who has done this routinely -- something one can not do well with feeders with tubes in the bottles.

Vmod XL is my primary on the go device as well.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
And now you can change the shells to match your mood!

Guess what! The new (pretty sweet) color shells are AVAILABLE on Vapage.com, right now! (They are in limited suppy... just an FYI.)

They are really beautiful and more of a frosted anodized, which makes them 1) less slippery if your hands are wet and 2) warmer in touch than the older ones, and 3) more scratch resistant. Win win WIN!

Look at these! (green, blue, pink, gunmetal, purple) I love the baby pink. The blue is awesome too. And oh, that gorgeous purple... Oh hellsbells, I love them all. They have a sort of neon glow to them.

VMOD XL Aluminum Case & Cone Replacement- Solid Color)

7a34a807.jpg

Chris77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Fishers, IN
I like everything about the VMod XL I have, except for how airy the vape is. I've re-set the O-rings, tightened everything as good as they'll get, have used a variety of different atomizers including the two that came with the set - so far, no good. Way too airy too inhale and totally kills TH.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all eyes...

erictho

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2011
Edmonton
omg. you guys. i received my vmod xl in black today. i got to play with it a bit, and it is by far more impressive than my rev2. i don't have any batteries, and they're expected to arrive on the 23rd. which seems really overestimated because i usually get orders from this supplier in 3 business days, let's hope it is not so.

Andy Thatcher

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2012
Brit in Orlando
omg. you guys. i received my vmod xl in black today. i got to play with it a bit, and it is by far more impressive than my rev2. i don't have any batteries, and they're expected to arrive on the 23rd. which seems really overestimated because i usually get orders from this supplier in 3 business days, let's hope it is not so.

Did you get the battery's ?

erictho

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2011
Edmonton
man i would love to share that video with everyone.

i did get batteries! i had a meeting this morning, and they were there waiting for me when i got home. they had only finished charging when it was time to leave for work again though.
i'm really fighting the urge to not fill it with liquid that i have, since i'm expecting an order tomorrow.
>.>
i wrote the above then set up my vmod with the silo cartomizer that's provided with the kit. the vape it gives is slightly warm and very very smooth. the taste is a little less "juicy" than i recall the flavor wit the boge lr i usually use. but it definitely kicks the crap out of my ego i had. i'm in love. at first i thought the button placement was a little counter intuitive, but i did try to get the hang of it this weekend when i could only pretend to use it. now i actually have it loaded with something the awkardness has seemed to disappear.
it's worlds apart from the rev2 in construction. it's also nice to have a true 3.7 vape, to which the egos pale in comparison to me.
...did i say i loved it already?

sorry if that video looks too large. :|

Last edited:

Andy Thatcher

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2012
Brit in Orlando
When that Silo dies try the atty.

Xl users seem to fall into carto and atty users. Can't say for certain where I lean as ermmm I have just been using attys really.

I really do plan on trying the Silo for an extended spell but it is just sooooo good with an atty.

Isn't it a pity to have these choices lol

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

erictho

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2011
Edmonton
it was really nice it came with an atty. the only time i've used them is with my ego-t starter kit and after that gong show i never invested in them again, but always wondered about them for at least just testing out new flavors.
i'm kinda leaning towards using it for that purpose, but think it'll eventually end up on the bottom feeder. an atty/bottom fed combo seems to make logical sense.
do you clean them like a regular atty or do you just toss it once it starts to suck?

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
Vapage VMOD XL Gets Run Over by F250 Super Duty - YouTube

Here you go Kat --- hope it the link works!

and erictho -- there are a zillion different opinions on the care and use of an atty. Generally, an atty is an atty and you mostly run into opinions more than facts about the differences required in care. Of course, that's my opinion! :laugh:

I ditch atty's if or when the coil blows or after I'm darn sure it has simply worn out.

Carto's --- mostly I just toss them and don't try much in the way of "repair"!

erictho

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2011
Edmonton
ya fair enough i guess i could try a boil or something if it doesn't look too worn out. but i highly doubt i will be blowing it out/dry burning, etc. and any part that ends up on my bottom feeder is usually worked to the bone until it's no longer satisfying.
that's really why i love cartos. they're so cheap and for the mileage you get it's not worth fussing over, imo. see. you're right. an opinion-laden response.
:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread