Status
Not open for further replies.

AnsonJames

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
IRELAND
Different metals used. Steel vs. mystery metal. Machined parts, vs. stamped parts. Trimmed and polished parts, vs. getting parts with burrs. Not having to clean machine oil off parts. The list goes on and on as to the differences. The casual vapers probably wouldn't know or care, though...

I'll quite happily save $100 just by cleaning off a tiny bit of machine oil, most of the newer cloned atties are finished as well - if not better than the authentics.

The newer versions of the "big" atties haven't been in the least bit innovative either- Taifun and Squape added air control and nothing else. The kayfun v4 only really upgraded to juice control - a feature that was very poorly executed when you look at the simplicity of the Ithaka/Odysseus juice control from a couple of years back.

Last edited:

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
But these mech mods and atties especially can be produced with the materials demanded by the designer, to exact specs at a fraction of the cost they are being sold... if produced in China.

I'm not criticizing Svoemesto for sticking to their business model. That's their prerogative. But you won't convince me that they couldn't have their tank produced in China to be exactly as produced elsewhere.... for cheaper. They could sell it cheaper, and they would sell more of them. How does Apple prevent massive cloning of their product and still have it produced in China? Apparently it can be done. Most everything we buy is being manufactured overseas in places without the patent laws we have in the US.

I am guessing the Chinese will simply start producing more gear like the Lemo of their own design. It's the Chinese that stand to take a bigger cut of the pie. Certainly the Lemo is making more money for eleaf than the manufacturers of the Svoemesto clones. I think the Chinese mfg will be the ones to simply cut out the high end designers eventually.

I could be wrong.....and am making casual observations and guesses. Just an average vaper's observations and musings. I find the topic interesting though.

Maybe, maybe not. The company I work for has factories in Shenzhen. They can't product the same quality products we produce at the one I work in. Don't know why. They are modern factories with engineers and US oversight. Could be raw materials... We don't have the QA teams at the plants like Apple does at the Foxconn plants, but nobody has those resources... There are millions of iProduct 'clones' sold in SE Asia; not so much in the US. Apple has the resources to keep them out of North America. My guess is a deal with the PRC government...

If Sveomesto made Kayfuns in China I wouldn't buy one at any cost...

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
Mystery metal? Can you prove to me my Hotcig Kayfun clone has mystery metal?
Or are you making unsubstantiated claims?
Why wouldn't they use stainless steel like SM?
You think copper, brass and soft stainless steel are premium metals that China doesn't have an abundance of?
China is the worlds second largest producer of copper.
I'd venture an educated guess that most European authentic mod manufacturers use metal sourced from China....unless they are using "mystery metals"...lol

You can mail it to me and I will see what temperature it melts at and tell you what it is really made out of...

PRC manufacturing has a habit of using lead as filler or calling any metal stainless...

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Maybe, maybe not. The company I work for has factories in Shenzhen. They can't product the same quality products we produce at the one I work in. Don't know why. They are modern factories with engineers and US oversight. Could be raw materials... We don't have the QA teams at the plants like Apple does at the Foxconn plants, but nobody has those resources... There are millions of iProduct 'clones' sold in SE Asia; not so much in the US. Apple has the resources to keep them out of North America. My guess is a deal with the PRC government...

If Sveomesto made Kayfuns in China I wouldn't buy one at any cost...

Considering the Chinese kayfuns seem to perform as well or better than authentics, you really can't be sure where they are made, now can ya?

I worked with a Ventura, CA based knife maker who has some of their blades made in China.
These aren't cheap knives, nor expensive.
They have a solid rep, and have consistent manufacturing of tempered steel knife blades.
One of the most famous knife brands around.
China can work metal. And they do a damn fine job. Soft metal e cig parts are nothing to make.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
Considering the Chinese kayfuns seem to perform as well or better than authentics, you really can't be sure where they are made, now can ya?

I worked with a Ventura, CA based knife maker who has some of their blades made in China.
They have a solid rep, and have consistent manufacturing of tempered steel knife blades.
China can work metal. And they do a damn fine job. Soft metal e cig parts are nothing to make.

They are made in Germany, unless you believe Svoemesto is guilty of fraud...

I'm sure they can make a finely machined and milled atty or mod out of stainless. Haven't seen one yet, though...

Cellodick

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2014
Hollywood
Different metals used. Steel vs. mystery metal. Machined parts, vs. stamped parts. Trimmed and polished parts, vs. getting parts with burrs. Not having to clean machine oil off parts. The list goes on and on as to the differences. The casual vapers probably wouldn't know or care, though...

Unlike you formal vapors????
I think us "casual" vapors can taste machine oil as well you fancy suckers errrm I mean Vapers.
I own sandpaper, and can take care of any burrs I may get by saving 200 bucks. And can you tell whether it's xxx steel or "aerospace/medical grade steel" when you vape it?

Cellodick

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2014
Hollywood
You can mail it to me and I will see what temperature it melts at and tell you what it is really made out of...

PRC manufacturing has a habit of using lead as filler or calling any metal stainless...

Maybe with the cheap factories your company works with. Don't judge every company by the shortcuts your boss takes.

Cellodick

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2014
Hollywood
They are made in Germany, unless you believe Svoemesto is guilty of fraud...

I'm sure they can make a finely machined and milled atty or mod out of stainless. Haven't seen one yet, though...

Why wouldn't they be guilty of fraud?

You should start looking better. I've seen a bunch of PRC attys finely machined out of stainless, but since you'd never buy one you probably haven't.

Darryl Licht

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2015
So Cal

Not Cold Steel, please say it aint so!

Cellodick

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2014
Hollywood
Perhaps you missed the "accidentally" part?

Hey, it was late and I'd been drinking beers... I didn't notice until this morning when I checked my order! If they're substandard, believe me they'll go into the "round file".

Shows that drinking will kill morality.
I think you need to throw them away out of principle. Whether or not they work great.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Noooooooooooo, not Mr. Thompson!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought they were all USA made!

According to half the posters in this thread,
It costs $200 to bring a US made soft metal tube to market.
You think Lynn can heat treat a stainless steel blade and attach a handle ( and add a sheath) for $40?
Insanity!!!
( actually, only a few of the CSS line are made in China to Lynn's specs.
Some are still made in the US)

Darryl Licht

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2015
So Cal
According to half the posters in this thread,
It costs $200 to bring a US made soft metal tube to market.
You think Lynn can heat treat a stainless steel blade and attach a handle ( and add a sheath) for $40?
Insanity!!!
( actually, only a few of the CSS line are made in China to Lynn's specs.
Some are still made in the US)

That sucks big time as I really like their stuff and was looking forward to their next parking lot sale!

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
That sucks big time as I really like their stuff and was looking forward to their next parking lot sale!
Sucks?
What are you talking about?
CS never hid where those models were made. They are made to Lynn's specs.
Don't you read the mailers? Lol

Point was that it's a great product. that takes a lot more skill and precision to make than threading plumbing copper, that's made in China.

Darryl Licht

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2015
So Cal
Sucks?
What are you talking about?
CS never hid where those models were made. They are made to Lynn's specs.
Don't you read the mailers? Lol

Point was that it's a great product. that takes a lot more skill and precision to make than threading plumbing copper, that's made in China.

I don't get any mail but their catalog, and no mention of anything being made in China on their website!

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I don't get any mail but their catalog, and no mention of anything being made in China on their website!

I don't think any of their knives are made in the US any longer.
The cold steel "Laredo Bowie" in SK-5 steel has made in China stamped on the blade.
Still better quality than most, still gets incredible reviews.

Cellodick

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2014
Hollywood

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I don't think they're trying to hide it.
Cold Steel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Probably means you can get some nice cheap "clones" made in the same factory with the same materials by the same guys!!!

It's an example of quality craftsmanship, and metal working that surpasses the basic rudimentary skills needed to produce a quality mechanical mod.

Made in China does not mean poor quality or inconsistent production.
Only an uneducated person would suggest as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread