Status
Not open for further replies.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Most B&Ms at least in my area only sell clones. Nobody would buy an authentic with a B&M mark-up. They'd sit on the shelves for months if not years.

Same here and most every B&M I've been to in several states. AL, GA, KY, IN, IL, KS, TN, NC......

That's kind of a shame when you consider it. If not for the clone makers…there would be a larger market for individual mod makers to enter. And competition between them for recognition and market share would have an impact on prices domestically given enough felt the adequate incentive to do so. As they are both producers and creators we would see even more diversity and innovation, to my thinking. It's competition for market share that drives innovation. Not short product life cycles. Instead we get corporation RoC and one Shenzhen's as good as another.

What we will see as a result is the end of the creator as producer. The former once again made just an element of production as in so much modern industry. And with that there goes the "shiny" we're so fond of. Creativity and quality reduced to utility and commodity. The latter very much attractive to those regulators enamored of command economy.

Good luck all.

:)

Last edited:

Joseph Swint

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2014
Canton, Ohio
To me that's the heart of it! Again you can buy a $30 clone/counterfeit of a $150+ authentic atty to look cool.

OR

Buy one of many good authentic attys that do the same thing at $50 and under!

I own 4 clone atties. The first one, I didn't realize was a clone. I saw everyone online talking about Kayfuns, and saw ads for kayfuns from different manufacturers so I just thought that was a type of atomizer. Similar to how an ego battery is a type of battery. Anyway, I got it and later realized it was a clone. The other 3 I purchased knowing full well they were clones, they were advertised as "x" style atomizer. Point is, I wanted "x" style atomizer at y price point is why I bought them. They perform well and do what I expected. I also own 4 authentic atomizers at the same price point. If the authentics were widely available at the price point I'm willing to pay, I'd have gladly purchased them. OTOH all 3 of my mods are authentics. That's why I bought clones, I'm only willing to spend x amount of money on an atomizer so I looked at what fit into that price range. I wouldn't knowingly buy a clone that's marketed as an authentic, but have no problems buying something styled after something else. (and yes I like wal-mart shoes)

Joseph Swint

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2014
Canton, Ohio
Whoops! Some of you will be pleased that I accidentally purchased some clone coils for my subtank mini.

I must also admit that I am curious to see how they stack up against the real McCoy's!

Let me know how they do! I saw some on fasttech for $1 a coil, but with coils, i'm hesitant to by clone or non-OEM. Once I'm out of the one's I bought to travel with, it's rba part only for me.

Cellodick

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2014
Hollywood
Whoops! Some of you will be pleased that I accidentally purchased some clone coils for my subtank mini.

I must also admit that I am curious to see how they stack up against the real McCoy's!

You must throw them out immediately, they may hurt you. Clones are bad, what about your morals?

Oh, who are we kidding, it's the same thing from the same factory.
Didn't you wonder why you were getting such a good deal? And if not a good deal, you should return them.

Darryl Licht

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2015
So Cal
You must throw them out immediately, they may hurt you. Clones are bad, what about your morals?

Oh, who are we kidding, it's the same thing from the same factory.
Didn't you wonder why you were getting such a good deal? And if not a good deal, you should return them.
Perhaps you missed the "accidentally" part?

Hey, it was late and I'd been drinking beers... I didn't notice until this morning when I checked my order! If they're substandard, believe me they'll go into the "round file".

AnsonJames

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
IRELAND

Probably the most snide remark I've ever seen on this forum.
It's quite obvious you became a member of this forum to troll and to be obnoxous to other members trying not to smoke.

Congratulations on being the first person to go on my blocked list in 2015.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    Overall, I do believe there is a small psychological component involved with buying clones. However, I would say for the majority of vapers that are quitting smoking it is a matter of utility. That being knowing the gear will work.

When you go into the real hi end stuff, clearly it's intended for major enthusiasts. Some of those companies wouldn't be able to make enough to meet demand if they charged a non-enthusiast price. Being a clone also has some utility, you can find out what it is more easily.

Anyway, if cheap clones of these products weren't available, most of us would just do without them. At the original price a lot of them are completely out of the market. I think a lot of people would buy non-clones of similar products if given the chance, but mostly we aren't. I'm sure some would prefer the clones though.

Logos add some class to the looks, but I wouldn't care if the frilly writing said "Frilly Writing" instead.

The RTA portion of my Kanger sub tank outperforms all of my clones and authentic atties. Pretty soon folks won"t have to buy stupidly overpriced originals - you'll just have to buy a reasonably priced Chinese original.

Looks like a Kayfun type design to me, or at least a copy of the concept. They could have copied themselves (Protank/Taifun based bottom coil RTA element) although that might be a copy of something else too.

AnsonJames

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 23, 2011
    IRELAND
    When you go into the real hi end stuff, clearly it's intended for major enthusiasts. Some of those companies wouldn't be able to make enough to meet demand if they charged a non-enthusiast price. Being a clone also has some utility, you can find out what it is more easily.

Anyway, if cheap clones of these products weren't available, most of us would just do without them. At the original price a lot of them are completely out of the market. I think a lot of people would buy non-clones of similar products if given the chance, but mostly we aren't. I'm sure some would prefer the clones though.

Logos add some class to the looks, but I wouldn't care if the frilly writing said "Frilly Writing" instead.

Looks like a Kayfun type design to me, or at least a copy of the concept. They could have copied themselves (Protank/Taifun based bottom coil RTA element) although that might be a copy of something else too.

Kayfun is derived from the Ithaka/Odysseus in my opinion.
    Svoemesto simply eliminated the need to use no/low resistance wire.

Bored2Tears

Verified Member
    Sep 26, 2014
    Western South Dakota
    I bought a Lemo. I think it best represents this argument. It is Chinese branded , reasonably priced, performs remarkably and has been tremendously successful. No clone of it that I am aware of. I haven't looked.... They eliminated the need for it to be cloned by pricing it within reach and producing enough to fill demand. Why's that so difficult to do? It isn't. If I am capable of designing, manufacturing (or contracting for its manufacture) and marketing an atomizer....then I am capable of making the Lemo.

If these companies are that under capitalized, they should consider letting the Chinese production in on some of the profits. I don't see how thy can have it both ways. Clearly they produce too few to fill demand... But they have the means to market the product and create the hype behind it?

Guess I could be confused. Someone explain what I am missing.

stevegmu

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 10, 2013
    6992 kilometers from home...
    I bought a Lemo. I think it best represents this argument. It is Chinese branded , reasonably priced, performs remarkably and has been tremendously successful. No clone of it that I am aware of. I haven't looked.... They eliminated the need for it to be cloned by pricing it within reach and producing enough to fill demand. Why's that so difficult to do? It isn't. If I am capable of designing, manufacturing (or contracting for its manufacture) and marketing an atomizer....then I am capable of making the Lemo.

If these companies are that under capitalized, they should consider letting the Chinese production in on some of the profits. I don't see how thy can have it both ways. Clearly they produce too few to fill demand... But they have the means to market the product and create the hype behind it?

Guess I could be confused. Someone explain what I am missing.

Maybe some of the high end manufacturers, ike Svoemesto, want a high end product not made in China, knowing there are plenty of buyers who will pay for a high end product not made in China...

Bored2Tears

Verified Member
    Sep 26, 2014
    Western South Dakota
    Maybe some of the high end manufacturers, ike Svoemesto, want a high end product not made in China, knowing there are plenty of buyers who will pay for a high end product not made in China...

Or maybe they want to sell the perception it needs to be manufactured by someone other than China to be "high end". I'm confident they can produce e cigs, batteries, and atomizers to the tolerances to perform flawlessly. Lemo being a good representation IMO.

AnsonJames

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 23, 2011
    IRELAND
    Or maybe they want to sell the perception it needs to be manufactured by someone other than China to be "high end". I'm confident they can produce e cigs, batteries, and atomizers to the tolerances to perform flawlessly. Lemo being a good representation IMO.

Kanger Subtank being a good representation also.

Most of the Chinese atties are instantly dismissed offhand by the $200+ brigade - even if they're better performers than the so called "high end" atties.

stevegmu

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 10, 2013
    6992 kilometers from home...

Different metals used. Steel vs. mystery metal. Machined parts, vs. stamped parts. Trimmed and polished parts, vs. getting parts with burrs. Not having to clean machine oil off parts. The list goes on and on as to the differences. The casual vapers probably wouldn't know or care, though...

Bored2Tears

Verified Member
    Sep 26, 2014
    Western South Dakota
    Different metals used. Steel vs. mystery metal. Machined parts, vs. stamped parts. Trimmed and polished parts, vs. getting parts with burrs. Not having to clean machine oil off parts. The list goes on and on as to the differences. The casual vapers probably wouldn't know or care, though...

But these mech mods and atties especially can be produced with the materials demanded by the designer, to exact specs at a fraction of the cost they are being sold... if produced in China.

I'm not criticizing Svoemesto for sticking to their business model. That's their prerogative. But you won't convince me that they couldn't have their tank produced in China to be exactly as produced elsewhere.... for cheaper. They could sell it cheaper, and they would sell more of them. How does Apple prevent massive cloning of their product and still have it produced in China? Apparently it can be done. Most everything we buy is being manufactured overseas in places without the patent laws we have in the US.

I am guessing the Chinese will simply start producing more gear like the Lemo of their own design. It's the Chinese that stand to take a bigger cut of the pie. Certainly the Lemo is making more money for eleaf than the manufacturers of the Svoemesto clones. I think the Chinese mfg will be the ones to simply cut out the high end designers eventually.

I could be wrong.....and am making casual observations and guesses. Just an average vaper's observations and musings. I find the topic interesting though.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 26, 2013
    God's Country

Mystery metal? Can you prove to me my Hotcig Kayfun clone has mystery metal?
    Or are you making unsubstantiated claims?
    Why wouldn't they use stainless steel like SM?
    You think copper, brass and soft stainless steel are premium metals that China doesn't have an abundance of?
    China is the worlds second largest producer of copper.
    I'd venture an educated guess that most European authentic mod manufacturers use metal sourced from China....unless they are using "mystery metals"...lol

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread