Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Now I hear both sides of the story, yes to added air and no, now I have to go and research it out then decide but probably going to the less air method since so far I have had no floral, alcohol or any other smells in my mixes. I'm assuming the added air is to dissipate the alcohol and other nasty's.
I can't say about shake and vape Hangsen tobaccos but I vape them after a week of steeping and mixing every other day and they are good enough. So far with some of the other fruit, custard and sweet mixes I've made they have to sit especially the custards and some of the fruits. I have shake and vape some custards and fruits and they were kinda flat but after 2 weeks of sitting they became amazingly good.
In my world I like to figure out the parameters of what I'm doing before jumping in without a clue and wasting my time and money.

Reactions: JeremyR

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
You have to understand the difference between airing out and steeping. They are 2 completely different things. Airing out is getting rid of unwanted alcohol. That is done by leaving the cap off the mix for about 24 hours and just letting it sit (Usually after steeping is complete). Steeping is the process of melding all ingredients and allowing a chemical change to happen.

You can read about it in my blog. Links are still a little screwy so you'll need to scroll back to the top of the page after clicking the below link. You can also see my other DYI blogs by clicking the link in my sig line below.

Everything you wanted to know about steeping and then some. | E-Cigarette For

Last edited:

Art Mustel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2009
Guess everyone is different. Many find just made e liquids unvapeable, i never do. To me, they improve with time, but a liquid that I find unvapeable right away will be unvapeable after a month. I think it works good to me (and i only do tobacco flavors). Probably i am wrong or my palate is, but lately i try to avoid whatever flavors that taste bad after mixing. Now, there is where Inawera and hangsen rock, in my opinion, because any mix i do with them is good, and with time they become glorious.

EddieAdams

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
New York
Guess everyone is different. Many find just made e liquids unvapeable, i never do. To me, they improve with time, but a liquid that I find unvapeable right away will be unvapeable after a month. I think it works good to me (and i only do tobacco flavors). Probably i am wrong or my palate is, but lately i try to avoid whatever flavors that taste bad after mixing. Now, there is where Inawera and hangsen rock, in my opinion, because any mix i do with them is good, and with time they become glorious.
I agree mostly. There are a few tobaccos that change significantly with time. Generally though if you don't like them initially, time doesn't help.

Reactions: GaryInTexas

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
I have to also agree. If you can't stand the flavor right after mixing time will not change that. The flavor is either your cup of tea or its not. For instance I don't really like hangsen arabic and others love it. Does that make it a bad flavor...No, Its just not right for me.

Art Mustel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2009
I have to also agree. If you can't stand the flavor right after mixing time will not change that. The flavor is either your cup of tea or its not. For instance I don't really like hangsen arabic and others love it. Does that make it a bad flavor...No, Its just not right for me.

Same here, Arabic is not bad but I can only vape it occasionally due to that strong curry? flavor or whatever spice it has.

EdT586

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2015
Canada
I am looking for some mixing syringes. PG on one side and VG of the other for a 50/50 mix right into the bottle !

twist-and-seal-dual-syringe.jpg

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
i use to use a fish tank bubbler to steep joose,especially is it was perfumey in smell
it never made changed the nic either
A sure way to get your fish hooked on vaping ... Seriously though, other than the perfume taste, does air actually help develop or steep flavors? I have heard conflicting opinions on this. My juices seem to steep faster when stored in an over-sized container with lots of air on top and plenty of shaking.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey

I certainly agree with you. Many tobacco mixes I can vape right away but then there are some like TFA'S black honey tobacco that have a chemical taste and need to be steeped 4 weeks just to get rid of that taste. But as you said even those that can be vaped with no steeping do improve with age and there are others that fade with age. It all depends on the flavoring.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
A sure way to get your fish hooked on vaping ... Seriously though, other than the perfume taste, does air actually help develop or steep flavors? I have heard conflicting opinions on this. My juices seem to steep faster when stored in an over-sized container with lots of air on top and plenty of shaking.

Air is an oxidining element when combined with Nicotine. So air does play an important part in the steep process but over exposing the mix to air can to quickly ozidize the mix and introduce a harshness to it. So the important part of this is timing. This can be observed by how fast the color changes. If you have a lot of air space you may want to cut down on the amount of time that you steep. Also heat has a lot to do with steeping much like air. The hotter you steep the less time it needs.

denali_41

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Der
i have done what i call hard steeping ,,setting the bottle in water on coffee mug warmer with the bubbler going at the same time , when i have done this inthe past i would do all day ,as in 12 hours for multiple days
but that was mostly with vendor bought juice,but since starting DIY i no longer need to steep anything i make
fruits or tobac no matter.

another point in fact when buying from vendors, most juice has already set on the shelf for an undisclosed amount of time before you bought it,,hyped up hot selling juice is an exception ,but accept that by the time you get a fresh made juice it is already approx 2 weeks old and i have hard steeped some juice for 6 months and still had to trash them because they never tamed down

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
but that was mostly with vendor bought juice,but since starting DIY i no longer need to steep anything i make

most juice has already set on the shelf for an undisclosed amount of time before you bought it

Hmmm .... You used to steep juices that were two weeks old, but not a fresh juice that you just made ? :?: How does that figure, unless somehow your habits changed ... BTW, where do you get a bubbler, from a aquarium shop? I need to try this if it's not too complicated.

Last edited:

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
i have done what i call hard steeping ,,setting the bottle in water on coffee mug warmer with the bubbler going at the same time , when i have done this inthe past i would do all day ,as in 12 hours for multiple days

another point in fact when buying from vendors, most juice has already set on the shelf for an undisclosed amount of time before you bought it,,hyped up hot selling juice is an exception ,but accept that by the time you get a fresh made juice it is already approx 2 weeks old and i have hard steeped some juice for 6 months and still had to trash them because they never tamed down

Do you actually put the air hose in the juice then heat steep it and let the air bubble through the mix. Interesting thats one steeping method I haven't herd before. That's one way to keep the liquid moving. Hows that compare to let say natural steeping or the usual fast steeping methods used here.

Reactions: Exchaner

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
I've found most HS tobaccos "get right" within a week just sitting quietly on a dark shelf. I'm lazy so that's my preferred method.

I've been "seed" steeping with my big batch ADV's. I mix Desert Ship 120mls at a time. I have a 30ml line on the bottle. When I hit that I just mix 90mls on top of it. I have the 90ml recipe taped to the bottle. It's ready to roll right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread