Deeming Regulations have been released!!!!

serenity21899

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Antioch IL
I don't think this is anything to get too alarmed about.
There is a way around almost any regulation.
For instance, I'm coming to gaping from smoking.
I don't pay $10 a pack, I pay around $1 a pack. I buy my tobacco in leaf form, and there is no tax because it is not in its final smokable form.
I imagine that the same will apply to nicotine - any taxes etc will probably not apply until it is made into e liquid.
Same goes for flavorings, PG and VG - they are not e liquid until you mix them all together.
True, you will only be able to make it for personal use, and this will put many (most?) E liquid manufacturers out of business, but it doesn't have to be the end of vaping.

I'm not sure how this will affect PV's themselves, but there is plenty of time to stock up on mech mods (no electronics to fail) stainless steel (ie no glass to break) tanks, rebuildable decks etc.
Resistance wire for coils will not be banned.
18650 batteries will not be banned.

It will be crappy, but it won't be the end for those determined enough to vape.

The ones that get hurt in all of this are the new vaper who doesn't know about all this stuff, and those who have not yet found vaping.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Just keep an eye on News Headlines for - Crxess Arrested for Home Brew E-liquids;)

Maybe I'll bump into you in a Homeland Security Detention Camp somewhere. Look out for a skinny bald guy with a white beard.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Not sure I understand what you mean "FDA compliant". Certainly they haven't applied, much less been approved, as a new tobacco product?

I'm sure they haven't met whatever the new ruling requires. It's too soon.

The vendor I use states that Dekang has been registered with the FDA. I should have said "registered" instead of approved. Registration may just reflect the fact that they use childproof bottle caps that are FDA approved. At this point I have no idea what the FDA is going to approve in e-juices. That will all come later as they answer those questions. Clean rooms and inspections are in the future. I haven't seen anything that defines what can or cannot be in a bottle of juice.

E-Liquid Market has this statement on their site.
Dekang has also been registered with the FDA since August 22nd of 2011 and they have received the GMP (Good Manufacturing Procedures) for food and pharmaceutical grade manufacturing.

PressPlayVape

Mod Addict
ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2015
CA
Yup, the people that are still smoking are going to be the ones truly screwed by these regs if they stand, hopefully between HR-2058 and the various lawsuits I expect to come there will be some relief, 2 years is a long time for things to change. At the end of the day though the most tragic part of this is the people that will lose years off their life because they won't look at vaping as a legitimate alternative.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Gonna stock up on juice...

th

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
OK, I'm tuning out for the rest of the night.

This has been an epic 9 year adventure, but it seems that it's all coming to a close. Very sad days indeed.

We knew this was coming, but now it has, I can't quite believe it.

I've read a ton of things that knocked me for a loop today, but this one knocked me the furthest.

Thanks, @Katdarling , for the "heads-up", and I (for one) sure do hope you come back with a big more vigor, SJ. After all, it's your "fault" we're here. ;)

Not giving up yet. I'm simply not ready to.

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California

The vendor I use states that Dekang has been registered with the FDA. I should have said "registered" instead of approved. Registration may just reflect the fact that they use childproof bottle caps that are FDA approved. At this point I have no idea what the FDA is going to approve in e-juices. That will all come later as they answer those questions. Clean rooms and inspections are in the future. I haven't seen anything that defines what can or cannot be in a bottle of juice.

Since they mention GMP, I wonder if they make their own nicotine. If they supply that nicotine for use in gums or patches distributed in the USA, they would need FDA registration.

Reactions: Sloth Tonight

Jewell

Sep 15, 2012
Chicago, IL, USA
I haven't posted on ecf in ages but I am so disgusted & discouraged I guess I have to join in the vent. (Although I haven't posted for a long time, I have sometimes lurked, and I have written letters etc as suggested by CASAA, to share my experience and argue against the harm that would be caused by regulations like these that were just published. )

Because of vaping I have been smoke-free for about 5 years (after smoking for almost 35 yrs, despite having tried to quit with the patch, the gum, medication etc. )
These regulations would have ensured that I never quit!

And to be totally honest, if I couldn't vape, i probably would eventually end up smoking again. :( But I will sure try everything to avoid that . Pretty crazy I will have to be a criminal to do something healthier.
These regs are even beyond the worst I had expected and seem completely designed to drive out everyone but BT who can make a few crappy cigalikes.
I am just so disgusted and discouraged over this.

I already build my own coils, I use RBDs and RBTs almost exclusively, but I need to prepare for DIY liquids, stock up on supplies, & get me some mech mods with fewer parts to go wrong.
The way theyre bringing so many items into FDA control is scary crazy. I'm wondering how many damn things I need to hoard. Do I need to stock up on batteries and wire as well as 100mg nicotine ?
Here's to crime.

Oh I will be contacting reps about HR 2058. But this pro- BT/pro-BP bs the FDA has come out with has me feeling not so hopeful right now.

Sorry i just needed to b!tch.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
I don't think anyone has had time to properly deconstruct the FDA document yet. It's long and complicated and written in a government language that looks like English but isn't really. People are working on it. Vaping.com said they would try to get some analysis published tomorrow, and CASAA has their experts working on it. I think we are going to have to wait a while to get more definitive answers. Plus a lot of it seems to have been written in a fuzzy way which allows the FDA to fill in the gaps later.
What's the use. It's like getting punched in the face 10 times then begging to be punched in the face 150 more times.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Apparently nothing will be taken off the market for two years. Manufacturers will have to submit to an approval process. If they don't pass or refuse to do so, it looks like they will be illegal after two years.

The FDA is concerned about ecig safety, especially in the area of exploding batteries. They are also concerned about fruit and candy flavors that attract children and teenagers under 18. We don't have anything to worry about today, tomorrow, or anytime in the next two years. That gives us time to breathe before they pry our present mods out of the hands of ecig vendors.

This article hits on the high points of the FDA ruling.
FDA Issues New Rules on E-Cigarettes

There's a video on Bing's search engine with an FDA press release video that explains the intent of this ruling. One point that was made is that people who use ecigs have the right to know that they are safe. The rest was mostly about preventing anyone under 18 from purchasing ecigs and supplies.

fda electronic cigarettes ruling - Bing video

Last edited:
Reactions: Sloth Tonight

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
We'll see after a couple judges are replaced...:facepalm:
Oh indeed. California is already ahead of that curve, with about 10 bills inflight to really screw gun owners this year. They are keeping the NRA quite busy, assuming they don't just throw their hands up and just walk away from the state.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
May be this will mobilize enough people to make a difference. These kinds of governing decisions are one of the reasons, but not the only reason, Trump is doing so well. I'''ll support him becuse, if I have to be miserable, I want company.

The brits are going to vote on EU membership soon. That EU court case and the impending rules are will timed to motivate British vapers. I hear the vote will be close. May be the vapers will turn the election away from the EU. Threats to vaping have made me a single issue voter, that's what I would do.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    I have said for a long time that we shouldn't be playing nice all along. The process of waiting on these regs caused the entire US vape industry to become reactionary, with a falsely created veil of proactivity . We should have been proactive and simply pushed for congressional legislation to remove all authority from the FDA to regulate vapor products. We didnt, until far too late in the process, so we end up with this.

Up to now it's been a bit awkward to take action because you were reacting to what appeared to be happening but hadn't yet. In some ways that was the recipe for not being taken seriously, complaining about something yet to happen. *Now* the ball's in our court to respond, unfortunately that's the the way government has always worked.

What I don't understand is who is this group to tell me that I cannot use or do something with my own body? [...]

That ship sailed a long time ago. But I agree it should be reconsidered ... vaping's only the latest reason.

The thing i'm concerned about is D.I.Y. If these or any future regulations affect D.I.Y then i'll start worrying. No one can deny the massive profit margins gained from pre made e liquids. I think the government have noticed this too. Those companies who have been making and selling e liquids from the start, i'm pretty sure they'll easily be able to afford any fees payable to the government. All the little guys will most certainly go out of business though.

Can e liquid manufacturers justify their prices ?.
    Are these guys to blame for e liquid regulations ?.

I think eliquid makers could absorb some of the costs of taxation. The size of the industry as a whole is a motivation for regulation, but overcharging is too fine a detail for them.

Reactions: 7sixtwo

Users who are viewing this thread