Deeming Regulations have been released!!!!

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
BTW - Much of the CRP that e-liquid Retailers package with Isn't going to be Allowed anyway.

Because if you Don't Hold a Cert for a given CRP Standard you are Required to use, your CRP Packaging is Not very meaningful in the Eyes of who will Ensure CRP Compliance.
I haven't read into the compliance part of it. Who would hold the cert, is it the bottle/lid manufacturer, or would the liquid manufacturer who fills the bottle have to have the certification?

Slots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
Eastern Wa.
My wife uses a similar contraption.
And that similar contraption would be me.
:laugh:
I take advantage of my "better half" too, but even he has his limits :blush:
This is the one we use ... opens any size, from fingernail polish to gallons.
https://www.amazon.com/OxGord-Arthr...F8&qid=1469304877&sr=1-15&keywords=jar+opener
Sadly, e-juice bottles are shaped weird, and don't fit, so I just use a piece of rubber style shelf liner for "grip" .. and plyers if needed :w00t:
Hate those "push and twist" cap ... very poor construction .. nobody thinks about us seniors :cry:

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Ok, I have to say it, and then I'll shut up about this portion of it. There is ONE alleged case of a child dying in the USA due to accidental ingestion of liquid nicotine, and it was nicotine concentrate not ready to vape e-liquid, and the lid was nowhere to be found.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I take advantage of my "better half" too, but even he has his limits :blush:
This is the one we use ... opens any size, from fingernail polish to gallons.
Amazon.com: OxGord Arthritis Jar Opener for Under the Kitchen Cabinet - Counter Top Lid Remover - Stainless Steel - 2016 Newly Designed Model: Kitchen & Dining
Sadly, e-juice bottles are shaped weird, and don't fit, so I just use a piece of rubber style shelf liner for "grip" .. and plyers if needed :w00t:
Hate those "push and twist" cap ... very poor construction .. nobody thinks about us seniors :cry:
This is the kind I have and it will open just about any type of lid.

oops, should have said any size. Child proof/resistant is a different ball game though :facepalm:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Add to that, if you're a retailer, are you accountable for knowing/proving that the sealed package you are selling adheres to the standard?

For a Retailer of an e-Liquid that falls under the Jurisdiction of that Poison Prevention Act, Yes, Yes you are.

And that's is what a Cert does. Ensure that the Containers you are Purchasing conforms to some Standard.

If the Containers you are Buying for your Product have No Certification, then How can they be said to be in Compliance with a Standard?

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
For a Retailer of an e-Liquid that falls under the Jurisdiction of that Poison Prevention Act, Yes, Yes you are.

And that's is what a Cert does. Ensure that the Containers you are Purchasing conforms to some Standard.

If the Containers you are Buying for your Product have No Certification, then How can they be said to be in Compliance with a Standard?
I meant a retailer of pre-filled/sealed bottles of e-liquid. Like, say, if you sell njoy's liquid line in your shop. Are you required to have proof that the bottles that njoy uses meet the standard, or is that up to njoy. What is the retailer's responsibility?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I haven't read into the compliance part of it. Who would hold the cert, is it the bottle/lid manufacturer, or would the liquid manufacturer who fills the bottle have to have the certification?

Yes... The Manufacture of the Container is the One who would Seek Certification a Given Container. And would be the Holder of the Cert. Which then gets Extended to whoever buys the Cert-ed Containers.

Else the e-Liquid Retailer would have to Cert EVERY order of Containers they Purchased. And that would be Pricey. Seeing that CRP Certification is about 5 ~ 7K a pop. Given the Cert to be Obtained.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I meant a retailer of pre-filled/sealed bottles of e-liquid. Like, say, if you sell njoy's liquid line in your shop. Are you required to have proof that the bottles that njoy uses meet the standard, or is that up to njoy. What is the retailer's responsibility?

If all you do is Sell the Pre-Filled Bottles, and Don't Alter them in Any Way, then you just Request the CRP Cert from whoever you buy the Pre-Filled Bottles from. And then Stick it in a File.

And when some Smuck with a Badge wants to know if you are Compliant with the PPA, you just pull the Cert from your file and make Him/Her a copy.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Yes... The Manufacture of the Container is the One who would Seek Certification a Given Container. And would be the Holder of the Cert. Which then gets Extended to whoever buys the Cert-ed Containers.

Else the e-Liquid Retailer would have to Cert EVERY order of Containers they Purchased. And that would be Pricey. Seeing that CRP Certification is about 5 ~ 7K a pop. Given the Cert to be Obtained.
So, if you're a retailer, contact the manufacturer about the certification, if you're the e-liquid manufacturer contact the bottle manufacturer for the certification. Not a bad idea for all three of those to have evidence of compliance, I'm guessing.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
So, if you're a retailer, contact the manufacturer about the certification, if you're the e-liquid manufacturer contact the bottle manufacturer for the certification. Not a bad idea for all three of those to have evidence of compliance, I'm guessing.

When a Cert is Issued on something like CRP, everyone in the Supply Chain usually holds the Cert.

But the Retailer is Almost Always the one who Bears the Responsibility to Ensure that Compliance is Meet. Because they are the Ones who are Selling to the End User. And the End User are the Ones that the Requirement was/is supposed to Protect.

A Retailer doesn't have to Know Everything about CRP. Or what Mechanics are involved with Cert-ing a CRP Container. Doesn't have to Know much in fact. Only what Standard the CRP needs to Adhere to. And that I have a Piece of Paper (a Cert) that Legally States that the Containers Meets these Standards.

This is Also where Retailers get into Trouble.

Because as the Manufacture of a Container, I can Call just about Anything CRP. But if it Hasn't been Certified by an Independent Testing Company who is Legally Allowed to Issue a given Cert, the container I sell and the Container the Retailer buys Isn't going to Comply with the PPA.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Because as the Manufacture of a Container, I can Call just about Anything CRP. But if it Hasn't been Certified by an Independent Testing Company who is Legally Allowed to Issue a given Cert, the container I sell and the Container the Retailer buys Isn't going to Comply with the PPA.

That's great, because a friend of mine just received one of those dripping, oozing, leaking all over the place packages from a new eliquid vendor.

Their entire post office box was sopping wet, the whole PO smelled like vanilla custard, and it had gotten on other people's mail.

Hard to believe in 2016 this is still happening, with vendors not even having a clue about shipping liquid.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
That's great, because a friend of mine just received one of those dripping, oozing, leaking all over the place packages from a new eliquid vendor.

Their entire post office box was sopping wet, the whole PO smelled like vanilla custard, and it had gotten on other people's mail.

Hard to believe in 2016 this is still happening, with vendors not even having a clue about shipping liquid.
You and your friends have the most rotten luck. Out of the 15-20 times I've ordered e-liquid, I've never had a bottle leak in the mail. Maybe I'm just really lucky.

I also don't think CRP will prevent leaking if there's a problem during shipping.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
I also don't think CRP will prevent leaking if there's a problem during shipping.

Nope. It won't.

Due to the nature of the bottles we use, we're kinda stuck between a rock and hard place when it comes to methods of sealing. The best way, of course, would be to put a foil seal on the bottle opening, but that would necessitate providing the "dripper" attachment in the box which would be just another small part to get lost before you got everything ready to go.

While it's easy to prevent leaking with the proper manufacturing processes, it tends to drive up customer costs, too. Not to mention, a lot of these "cowboy outfits" start up on the cheap with no real manufacturing process in mind.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
For laughs and giggles I just took a look at
my Prescription bottles. They are the ones with the tab on the container you hold down
with your thumb and unscrew the cap. There is a warning on the bottom of the cap that says,"not child resistant".

I did not know this and have trouble sometimes opening these bottles when my
tendinitis kicks in. So much for child resistant caps.
Regards
mike

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
For laughs and giggles I just took a look at
my Prescription bottles. They are the ones with the tab on the container you hold down
with your thumb and unscrew the cap. There is a warning on the bottom of the cap that says,"not child resistant".

I did not know this and have trouble sometimes opening these bottles when my
tendinitis kicks in. So much for child resistant caps.
Regards
mike
Unless you have little children in your house, ask your pharmacy to use regular snap off caps.

Users who are viewing this thread