Deeming Regulations have been released!!!!

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

The real point, though, is that my wife makes a LOT of mistakes.
And as the main keeper of the finances, I can tell you that it leaves a mark.
LOL

Sounds like Duncan Hunter would have been Better Served by having You manage his Campaign Finance Spending than whoever he had.

Because they way things are going, Mr. Hunters campaign finance manager might have to Testify against Mr. Hunter. And that 2 Blue Card Defense might not be something He would want to testify to.

schismz

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I guess I just wasn't sure that ethics are still a matter of concern.
Me either, doesn't having ethics preclude you from becoming a successful politician wherein the main prerequisite is being a charming sociopath? I don't actually care how corrupt he is, or whose money he spent on what, this makes him no different then every other politician. It's too bad that he got caught, 'cuz when you're doing things that are against the law, the most important thing is: try not to get caught. The only part of this equation I care about, is that he was motivated (for whatever reasons he has) to promote vaping ... so that's too bad.

How do you know when a politician is lying? -- Their lips are moving. <-- old cliche, but pretty true.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
The real point, though, is that my wife makes a LOT of mistakes.
And as the main keeper of the finances, I can tell you that it leaves a mark.
If I left the finances to my wife the only question would be who throws us out of our house first and how many weeks it would take. I will likely die before her (just the way it is men) so I'm not sure how she's gonna make it. I tried and I tried and I tried to teach her and it is utterly futile.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Yeah, but Hunter was leaving this to his campaign treasurer to track, unless maybe his wife had the job and was good on the expensing of those charges. I always thought they had to have an accountant review that stuff at least once a year to prevent this sort of problem. Not excusing his actions, but there should have been some sort of backstop to prevent this from occurring, or if it did, correct it before it ran on for two years.

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
Today, I contacted a vape vendor in Ontario to ask if they would ship to the U.S. and I was told they would not because of the Deeming regulations and their credit card company as well. I asked if they'd do it if I sent them a certified check or money order so it wouldn't go through their credit card system and they said no. I pushed it again, and explained that I get vape mail packages delivered here almost every week, but they wouldn't relent.

I had heard about the credit card companies doing this, but this is the first time I have had an issue buying vape gear and it was an upsetting & unsettling experience. It gave me a glimpse at how bad things will be if we are not successful in getting some sort of relief from the heinous Deeming Regs.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Yeah, but Hunter was leaving this to his campaign treasurer to track, unless maybe his wife had the job and was good on the expensing of those charges. I always thought they had to have an accountant review that stuff at least once a year to prevent this sort of problem. Not excusing his actions, but there should have been some sort of backstop to prevent this from occurring, or if it did, correct it before it ran on for two years.

But that is All Based on a Campaign Treasurer not allowing something like this to happen.

Right?

Last edited:
Reactions: Eskie

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Right. And it's what the treasurer will testify to that will determine how this plays out for him.

Hard to Say.

I could see the Justice Department offering some limited Immunity to someone like a Treasurer for rolling over on Duncan.

Or maybe everyone just Lawyer's Up and sticks with the 2 Blue Card, it was All a (Wink Wink) Honest Mistake thing.

Or maybe it will go down the Route that many have where No Charges are Filed. And it's Business as Usually in Washington DC.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Today, I contacted a vape vendor in Ontario to ask if they would ship to the U.S. and I was told they would not because of the Deeming regulations and their credit card company as well. I asked if they'd do it if I sent them a certified check or money order so it wouldn't go through their credit card system and they said no. I pushed it again, and explained that I get vape mail packages delivered here almost every week, but they wouldn't relent.

I had heard about the credit card companies doing this, but this is the first time I have had an issue buying vape gear and it was an upsetting & unsettling experience. It gave me a glimpse at how bad things will be if we are not successful in getting some sort of relief from the heinous Deeming Regs.

Did the Order you wanted to do contain e-Liquids? Or Post 8-8-16 Hardware? Or maybe Both?

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
Did the Order you wanted to do contain e-Liquids? Or Post 8-8-16 Hardware? Or maybe Both?

I hadn't actually placed the order, so the vendor didn't know what I was going to order. Before I pulled the trigger, I sent them a message and asked if they would ship to the U.S. I wasn't going to order e juice, just some attys. Do you think if they knew that it was an order for hardware, not juice, they might reconsider?

It's hard to say about the hardware. I first became aware of it last October, but wasn't some hardware sort of rushed through so it could be considered to have been released before 8/8, but it didn't actually make it onto store shelves until later?

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
I hadn't actually placed the order, so the vendor didn't know what I was going to order. Before I pulled the trigger, I sent them a message and asked if they would ship to the U.S. I wasn't going to order e juice, just some attys. Do you think if they knew that it was an order for hardware, not juice, they might reconsider?

It's hard to say about the hardware. I first became aware of it last October, but wasn't some hardware sort of rushed through so it could be considered to have been released before 8/8, but it didn't actually make it onto store shelves until later?

I don't think they would reconsider. Why the need to order from Canada?

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California

Perhaps the company is not registered with the FDA as a tobacco product importer, and does not want to be? Aren't we at that stage now?

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
Perhaps the company is not registered with the FDA as a tobacco product importer, and does not want to be? Aren't we at that stage now?

I'm not sure about the timeline, but I bet you are right! They don't want to register as a tobacco product importer! They didn't want to budge at all!

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY

I thought that was pushed off for requiring registration until June. I could easily be mistaken on that, but there was a 6 month delay built in for the early regulatory requirements.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... Do you think if they knew that it was an order for hardware, not juice, they might reconsider?

I just Don't Know. But the Reason I asked was inline with what Les posted.

If your order was for an e-Liquid(s) that contained Nicotine, they might be doing No US shipping. But for a Pre 8-8-16 piece of Hardware, where being a "Tobacco Product" is Kinda Iffy at Best?

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY

If your order was for an e-Liquid(s) that contained Nicotine, they might be doing No US shipping. But for a Pre 8-8-16 piece of Hardware, where being a "Tobacco Product" is Kinda Iffy at Best?

Fear, it is a tool used by the government to alter behavior, similar to uncertainty.

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
I thought that was pushed off for requiring registration until June. I could easily be mistaken on that, but there was a 6 month delay built in for the early regulatory requirements.

That sounds right, Eskie. I am sure they aren't really staying on top of everything, but have made a decision to steer clear of any possible entanglement with the FDA. Do you think the FDA would sue vendors in other countries if they sold vape gear to us?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I thought that was on Ingredient Listings.

But I could be Mistaken.

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015

I guess there's nothing to lose by going back to explain that it was not e juice, but I already tried to change their minds three times. I doubt they'll change their minds at this point no matter what I say.

Users who are viewing this thread