Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
so coke goes well with rum. what goes well with ever clear. never found and answer to that so I just chocked it down strait in the day
Hawaiian Punch with orange slices in it.

Sent from my LG-V700 using Tapatalk

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
I love the Hybris. It has the same controls as the Rider Robust, but it's better made. It's basically a Twist with a replaceable battery. I have several.

Yeah, I saw that you were over in Burnie's thread, also, so I knew that you had a handful of them yourself. ;)

so coke goes well with rum. what goes well with ever clear. never found and answer to that so I just chocked it down strait in the day

We always mixed it with Grape Nehi soda... they even sold it that way. It was called "Purple Passion". ;)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I like the performance and longevity I get from rayon. I use Delasco rayon balls not the beauty parlor stuff. I'll over look any manufacturing processing. After what I've already done to myself by smoking for 45 years - I'm not concerned about all organic wicking material. Then look at all the poo-poo on using Kanthal, Titanium, Nickel, SS wire and what 'fumes' could be coming off the wire. It'll drive a person to smoke worrying about all that. I just vape it.

I thought the "fumes" came from making contact coils with kanthal. Thats my understanding from reading, thats what caused me to shy away from making contact and micro coils anymore. I have only used kanthal so I have no knowledge of other types of wire and their effects.
I've inhaled all sorts of things including ciggys over my lifetime so the thought of a bit of dirty rayon really doesn't scare me, but so far its the best wicking I have come across. I have a box in the closet filled with the past wicking I've used, silica, ekowool, cotton balls, cotton baton and hemp fiber so I've progressed with the fads. Until there is a new wicking that out performs rayon I'm going to do my best to put a dent into that 500 foot box I have.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
I have a box in the closet filled with the past wicking I've used, silica, ekowool, cotton balls, cotton baton and hemp fiber so I've progressed with the fads.

Ain't that the truth ... plus DIYing ceramic wicks from AO stones

WhiteCeramic_zps57ed2a57.jpg

IMG_1328-Version2_zpse7924022.jpg

and before that Fish Sticks ...

IMG_0914.jpg

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah

I started out with silica, & still use silica. ..... It works, and that's all I care about.
    Kinda gave up on trying to keep up with the times. Fact is, when folks start talking about the new stuff I have no clue what their talking about. ....... and ...... I don't care.
    I'm not smoking, and because of that I'm still alive.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I thought the "fumes" came from making contact coils with kanthal. Thats my understanding from reading, thats what caused me to shy away from making contact and micro coils anymore. I have only used kanthal so I have no knowledge of other types of wire and their effects.
    I've inhaled all sorts of things including ciggys over my lifetime so the thought of a bit of dirty rayon really doesn't scare me, but so far its the best wicking I have come across. I have a box in the closet filled with the past wicking I've used, silica, ekowool, cotton balls, cotton baton and hemp fiber so I've progressed with the fads. Until there is a new wicking that out performs rayon I'm going to do my best to put a dent into that 500 foot box I have.

Dr. Farsolina says that when you anneal a new coil by dry burning you get a silver-gray layer on the new coil and that's an Alumina coating. It protects the wire from rapid degradation during vaping. If you dry burn it too aggressively when you install a new wick, then that coating gets burned off and you are left with a slightly rough finish on the coil that causes it to gunk up quickly.

Electric heating elements in home heating systems are another source of a similar type of heat that's blown throughout the house every day. Go figure. We are constantly exposed to things that aren't particularly good for us. Heating elements probably better than sitting by an open fire to keep warm and ecig coils are very likely many magnitudes safer than burning tobacco.

I'm with you on the Rayon. I just didn't see that much difference between Rayon and cotton when I tried it. Rayon is easier to work with and it does wick better. People say that when burned it turns into ash. It's probably fine as long as you keep it wet.

At least there are no medical reports that say it causes a problem.

Last edited:

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA
    I just didn't see that much difference between Rayon and cotton when I tried it. Rayon is easier to work with and it does wick better. People say that when burned it turns into ash. It's probably fine as long as you keep it wet.

So does cotton :)

But, uh, "easier to work with" and "it does wick better" - are two reasons I prefer rayon! ;)

Debadoo

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 18, 2012
    Texas, near Fort Hood
    MMMMmmmm... I love ginger beer.
    that's something I've always wanted to try but never did. You did make me do a search and we can get it around here. So, it's on my list.

Brickhouse Custard
    TFA Vanilla Custard - 10%
    TFA French Vanilla Creme - 5%
    TFA Dulce De Leche - 5%
    TFA Egg Nog - 5%
    TFA Vanilla Bourbon - 3%
    TFA Sweetener = 2%
    Sounds yummy.......I have one of those flavors, and the sweetner, but FA not TFA. Don't reckin I'll be tryin it. :lol:

WUT?!?!?! Bite yer tung, woman!
    newp, not gonna.......that wood hert! But.......I did bite the inside of my cheek a few times a couple weeks ago.....does that count?

Woohoo. Got me a fancy schmancy avatar photo now. Accidentally took a pic of myself fooling around with Photo Booth on my iMac. Now that I know how to upload the pic, I'll find something prettier sooner or later. Won't be easy, though. :thumb:
    kewl! and aren't you just a cutie pie!!

I looked at that item on ebay. I did not give out a credit card number or indicate in any way that I was going to buy it. So last week I get a letter from ebay that the seller has filed a non payment complaint against me and that I have until 4/29 to pay for it or the order will be cancelled and to take care of this matter to contact customer service for the next step. My first question to myself was, "Or what?". I have no idea how to prove a double negative. I just filed the notice in the virtual wastebasket and chalked it up to being ebay.
    good grief!

Hawaiian Punch with orange slices in it.

Sent from my LG-V700 using Tapatalk
    One of my adopted kids liked it in Mt Dew......wasn't bad. Bet it would be better in the code red mt dew, that stuff was yummy!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    So does cotton :)

But, uh, "easier to work with" and "it does wick better" - are two reasons I prefer rayon! ;)

I have a box of Sally's rayon cellucotton. I've vaped Rayon once or twice on it and went back to Koh Gen Do. I try to vape most of the time by inhaling just far enough to exhale through the nose. For me, it's more about flavor and seeing the exhale than it is about inhaling deep into the lungs.

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 29, 2014
    Houston, TX, USA
    Glad you got a lil OT, was worried maybe your wife had had a rough time. Glad that wasn't the case.......now don't make me come chase you down again Mister

Nope, just been pretty busy here at work. Next week is gonna be a bit of a doozy, as well, so I prolly won't be around too much next week either. So, consider this your "head's up". ;)

that's something I've always wanted to try but never did. You did make me do a search and we can get it around here. So, it's on my list.

Yes, ginger beer can be found here... both with, and without alcohol. I use ".... and Bull" to make Moscow Mules, and those are pretty awesome! :D

Still can't find the "zebra beer" (that's what I called the one I had in Australia). I have no idea what the actual name of it is, so it's been impossible for me to locate it. If I can ever figure out what the name is, then I'll go to Spec's and see if they can order it for me.

I also really, really, really like hard apple ciders. Angry Orchard varieties are my current favorites!

Sounds yummy.......I have one of those flavors, and the sweetner, but FA not TFA. Don't reckin I'll be tryin it. :lol:

I haven't played with anything but TFA so far, but I've got some new flavors to try out. INW and FA are in there somewhere.

rhelton

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 15, 2014
    spokane, wa

WhiteCeramic_zps57ed2a57.jpg

IMG_1328-Version2_zpse7924022.jpg

IMG_0914.jpg

Do they work good? I have always wanted a go at some and never bought any cause I always heard horror story's about em'.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 23, 2011
    Skippack, PA
    Do they work good? I have always wanted a go at some and never bought any cause I always heard horror story's about em'.

Oh snap! That was problem #1 ... they are very easy to break our DIY's and commercial ceramic wicks need to be handled w/ kid gloves. "Oh snap!" ... was the common phrase among ceramic wick users. It rarely failed ... just before finishing grinding one ... Oh Snap!

AOWicks_zps40de0804.jpg

Problem #2 ... they act as a heat sink ... so you either had to raised your watts/volts or lower the Ωs on a mech.

Problem #3 ... the learning curve to wrap the wire tight to the ceramic wick. Most of us were heating the kanthal at the same time as wrapping it around the wick. Any gaps where the wire wasn't touching was a troublesome hot spot.

One way to do it was inserting the wick in to a 'holder' then holding the exposed part directly in the torch flame and 'glow' the wire while wrapping around the wick tight enough just to avoid the "Oh Snap" while wrapping it.

IMG_1657_zpse7338a48.jpg

IMG_1492_zpsf11ff6da.jpg

Problem #4 ... if you were buying commercial ceramic wicks they were ridiculously expensive. Particularly with the "Oh Snap" built in feature.

Other than that they worked well and gave a clean taste to the vape.

If you really want to try 'em, PM me a mailing addy. I can send you some. I've got both commercial and I think some DIYs around that I no longer use. You'll need a decent size wick hole ... I forget the diameters, I'll check later and get back to you.

Last edited:

rhelton

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 15, 2014
    spokane, wa
    Oh snap! That was problem #1 ... they are very easy to break our DIY's and commercial ceramic wicks need to be handled w/ kid gloves. "Oh snap!" ... was the common phrase among ceramic wick users. It rarely failed ... just before finishing grinding one ... Oh Snap!

AOWicks_zps40de0804.jpg

Problem #2 ... they act as a heat sink ... so you either had to raised your watts/volts or lower the Ωs on a mech.

Problem #3 ... the learning curve to wrap the wire tight to the ceramic wick. Most of us were heating the kanthal at the same time as wrapping it around the wick. Any gaps where the wire wasn't touching was a troublesome hot spot.

One way to do it was inserting the wick in to a 'holder' then holding the exposed part directly in the torch flame and 'glow' the wire while wrapping around the wick tight enough just to avoid the "Oh Snap" while wrapping it.

IMG_1657_zpse7338a48.jpg

IMG_1492_zpsf11ff6da.jpg

Problem #4 ... if you were buying commercial ceramic wicks they were ridiculously expensive. Particularly with the "Oh Snap" built in feature.

If you really want to try 'em, PM me a mailing addy. I can send you some. I've got both commercial and I think some DIYs around that I no longer use. You'll need a decent size wick hole ... I forget the diameters, I'll check later and get back to you.

axKTBPn.jpg

LOL

I should be able to use em in a Origen genny maybe?

Thank you PM sent

Iffy

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Florida Suncoast
    Oh snap! That was problem #1 ...

If you really want to try 'em, PM me a mailing addy. I can send you some. .

Oh my, Mike, dat brings back a flood o' memories!

BTW, anyone want a couple of 40mm diamond cutoff discs like Mike's, send me a PM. Noper, never used 'em...

Diver9543

Resting In Peace
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 26, 2015
    Oklahoma City, OK, USA
    Well, I lost all of the multi-quotes. I know there were a couple new faces to say hello to, I was going to agree with a few things that were said, I was also going to congratulate @Vape? on her progress, and let @Debadoo know I was glad to hear she made it home. I took a little time off-line and was working on getting a few things together at home, making some juice and organizing my mods and toppers. I now have a box filled with my "saved for the end times" mechanicals. Now it is time to get caught up on the Back Porch or rather the Back Porches since I saw where #6 was started.
    Jerry

Debadoo

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 18, 2012
    Texas, near Fort Hood
    I prolly won't be around too much next week either. So, consider this your "head's up". ;)
    Ok, won't whack ya since ya warned me........just don't be forgettin where "home" is! Never tried hard apple cider but I'm sure I"d love it! I didn't even see that zebra beer on an image search. Sure ya didn't drink some other brand and start seein zebras???? :lol:

wow........I know yur the tinkerin type, but no way could I go through all that!

and let @Debadoo know I was glad to hear she made it home.
    awwwww that's sweet, thanks! and............ I need my hiney whooped........ I didn't post on here about Kay. I don't think she did either, only on BP, but one or two here don't visit both porches........... but she had hip replacement surgery yesterday. she's doin fantastic!! She's in great spirits......the surgery went very well..... she's already taking 3 short walks a day and they are so pleased with her progress!!

Speaking of not visiting both porches......... @FlamingoTutu where you iz??? Are you stll at yur folk's house?? miss ya hun!!

Miss my @LittleBird too!!!! :wub:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread