Status
Not open for further replies.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY

Anyone else taste the same with HS RY4 ? If this is suppose to the best/genuine RY4 I don't think RY4 is going to be a keeper !

Well, no burnt plastic taste to me but I much prefer making my own Ry4 type mixes. I'd suggest picking up some Hangsen Highway, vanilla, caramel, and sweetener. Experiment a little to get the percents you like.

There's a huge RY4 roundup thread that has some good recipes. It should pop right up with a search.

Reactions: EdT586

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Hello guys and gals. I apologize if this has been answered before. I'm a newb to ecigs and to this forum and have tried to search this thread but couldn't find the answer so far.

What percentage range do I use for USA mix lights? do I start at 5% and work my way up? or is that too low/high to begin with.

thank you in advance.

5% is a good starting point.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Hello guys and gals. I apologize if this has been answered before. I'm a newb to ecigs and to this forum and have tried to search this thread but couldn't find the answer so far.

What percentage range do I use for USA mix lights? do I start at 5% and work my way up? or is that too low/high to begin with.

thank you in advance.

Start at 5 and go up or down depending. I go 3-4% on all of them, that's me. From 5% add flavor to increase or add base to reduce.

I find as little as .2% can make a difference

Last edited:

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I'm finding my Hangsen tobaccos nice at 6%, a weeks steep along with magnetic mixing warmed up (tap hot) juice every other day.
I did make a bit of a goof but it did surprise me to how good it was. I accidently filled a kayfun that I had Hangsen red cola(9%) in with FA 7Leaves(10%), both already mixed with 60/40 and nic. The 7leaves popped the cola flavor out and its fantastic. I then made a 65% 7Leaves, 35% HS Cola and its tastes better than the straight HS cola. Trial, error and good accidents are all apart of the learning curve with both successes and failures

Reactions: Exchaner

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Just been vaping on some HS RY4 18mg for a couple of days now to see what all the fuss was about. Prior to the HS RY4 I tasted some Dekang Cigar Empire and that stuff was junk, it tastes like burnt phenolic even after two weeks of steeping. Poured everything out and wash my tank and changed a new wick and poured in some HS RY4. I detect some of the same burnt phenolic as with the DK Cigar Empire, but not as harsh.

Anyone else taste the same with HS RY4 ? If this is suppose to the best/genuine RY4 I don't think RY4 is going to be a keeper !

Some strong flavors can hang around in atties for a long long long, long long time.. I had a dripper given to me about 6 months ago.. And to this day I can still taste whatever flavor they had in there.. I've washed it many times.. All I can figure is that its down in the center pin.. Or absorbed into the insultaor. Will have to completely disassemble and boil or something. I literally can't believe the old flavor is still so strong.

denali_41

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Der
Near the top of the page, there is a darker gray line ... just below the orange "Forums" sign.
Listed on there , look for "watched Threads", and click on it. All of the treads you contribute too should pop up.
That should get you there I hope ... it works for me

all the previuos threads i have posted in won't show up now,,i have to go find them and then mark them to watch

major PITA !!!

Reactions: JeremyR

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
Some strong flavors can hang around in atties for a long long long, long long time.. I had a dripper given to me about 6 months ago.. And to this day I can still taste whatever flavor they had in there.. I've washed it many times.. All I can figure is that its down in the center pin.. Or absorbed into the insultaor. Will have to completely disassemble and boil or something. I literally can't believe the old flavor is still so strong.

Try soaking it in PGA for a day and rinse well with warm water.

Art Mustel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2009
Just been vaping on some HS RY4 18mg for a couple of days now to see what all the fuss was about. Prior to the HS RY4 I tasted some Dekang Cigar Empire and that stuff was junk, it tastes like burnt phenolic even after two weeks of steeping. Poured everything out and wash my tank and changed a new wick and poured in some HS RY4. I detect some of the same burnt phenolic as with the DK Cigar Empire, but not as harsh.

Are those HS and dekang pre made liquids or are you talking about flavoring?
if they are pre made, then you need to check if they are authentic...not so an easy task, but on both the "clone" bottles are different than the original, real Mccoy.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I bought a used kayfun a while back out of FB. It was my first and last FB buy other than coops. It had something awful and strong in it and then to boot it had a stale juice smell. I broke it down into bits, soaked in isoprop, boiling water, found every nook n cranny and still YUK. I ended up putting a strong menthol into it and eventually the menthol prevailed.
I have noticed too but will try again with another batch is that the Hangsen lemon was great first mixed and a few days and now after sitting a week+, a drop on the back of the hand tastes good but in the atty its flat, and very little taste.
I scale out my base then tap hot water I warm it up a bit before adding my flavor and nic. The warmth helps incorporate the flavors better but just barely warm. I don't believe in heat steeping in any way since it wrecked a few juices I had in my earlier vaping days. Having a DIY magnetic mixer is great and does a wondrous job.

EdT586

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2015
Canada
Are those HS and dekang pre made liquids or are you talking about flavoring?
if they are pre made, then you need to check if they are authentic...not so an easy task, but on both the "clone" bottles are different than the original, real Mccoy.

They are pre-made with genuine bottles and date markings from a reputable reseller.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
Having a DIY magnetic mixer is great and does a wondrous job.

Does a magnetic mixer help mix the juice with air, or does it just shake the liquid? I find air to be critical in steeping; heat alone helps some, but it only goes so far for me.

Last edited:

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
To much air will oxidize the NIC to quickly and cause a harshness. So I would follow the standard practice of steeping and not intentionally try to introduce air into the mix. An electronic stir plate (Magnetic mixer) does not really introduce air into the mix it just stirs. That in combination with heat is a pretty good steep method. I see people using frothers to steep and have to think to myself "'not a great idea to blow air through a mix" but to each his own.

Last edited:

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
To much air will oxidize the NIC to quickly and cause a harshness. So I would follow the standard practice of steeping and not intentionally try to introduce air into the mix. An electronic stir plate (Magnetic mixer) does not really introduce air into the mix it just stirs. That in combination with heat is a pretty good steep method. I see people using frothers to steep and have to think to myself "'not a great idea to blow air through a mix" but to each his own.

I might be weird that way, but I actually like oxidized nic because it gives me a good throat hit. I believe Jeremy might be in the same camp. As to steeping with air, I find my juices not too complete unless I shake the heck out of them for a few days - enough to make them go cloudy from bubbles inside. It's a tedious job, but I have never had much luck with heat alone - unless of course I wait a whole month.

Last edited:

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I didn't know that you can oxidize the nic by over adding air. Nice to know cause I shake the juice before hand just to watch the air bubbles move around. I'll from now on I'll just stir with as little air as possible. My juices are 60/40 so by warming it up a bit you can get a nice vortex going till the liquid cools down then the vortex disappears but after that initial warming, I set the juice aside and wait with no other heating.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
I might be weird that way, but I actually like oxidized nic because it gives me a good throat hit. I believe Jeremy might be in the same camp. As to steeping with air, I find my juices not too complete unless I shake the heck out of them for a few days - enough to make them go cloudy from bubbles inside. It's a tedious job, but I have never had much luck with heat alone - unless of course I wait a whole month.

My new steep method will be - a fish tank type bubbler. LoL

I bet thats how they make vt th nic. I've been thinking about it for a while.

I'll try it soon. Probably with the nic first, to see how it changes.

Last edited:

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
My new steep method will be - a fish tank type bubbler. LoL

I bet thats how they make vt th nic. I've been thinking about it for a while.

In fact there are steeping devices on the market that work similar to a paint shaker mixing air and liquid together. Haven't tried it myself, but if it works, that might indicate air is equally effective as heat in steeping juices.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread