Status
Not open for further replies.

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
I took your advice and built to omerta. Kanthal, 0.6 ohms, dual 3mm 28g vertical coils, this thing was hard to build and pinch the coils... Even harder to wick. But I got it going. Plenty of air for me, not a cloud machine but intense flavor. The small chamber and domed cap and I may have over wicked it a little so I was drinking the juice too.... Then I realized a couple drops on top, 2-3 hits and re-drip. :D

IACk9f7.jpeg

P34Asbc.jpeg
thats a clone right! the authentic has the post holes pointing sideways which makes it easier to build. mine is the same as yours!

sando7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2014
Louisville, KY (PRP)
Yeah mine's a clone, from AC it was like $5? I forget. It looked like it "wanted" verticals so that's what I put it in... Next time I'd try Horizontal coils. WOULD HAVE TO BE EASIER. Can't be any harder than VERTz.

it's a female Dog either way ya go, i had to use 30 ga nichrome80 to get a nice warm vape :w00t:

think i'm gonna pick up some more G1 Ti from R.L. before the price goes up (stock-up) i only have 5 card-board wraps left :eek: :D

Reactions: Phone Guy

Phone Guy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2013
Arlington, Texas - USA

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Hey guys, I have joined your ranks! Or at least, I am about to.

I had been planning to try out Titanium anyway, based on recommendations of @TheotherSteveS, @tchavei and @sando7 . But my interest suddenly increased when I purchased my latest Chinese TC clone, the new Infinite 50W VaporFlask clone from FT. Because this mod has a new feature called Nickel Purity. If you've not heard of that already, it's a setting from 10-100 (% we presume) of how pure the Nickel is. Designed for cheap Chinese wire and the like which isn't very pure at all. But quite possibly very useful for Titanium, and perhaps twisted Ni200/Kanthal.

So I've taken the plunge, using Zivipf, and got quite a good range to get me going:

RkdmZ4v.png

I got an 8% discount using coupon code zivipf88 which I found in a search - a discount for some German forum the name of which I didn't even look at :)

I paid the extra for faster, tracked shipping, so I'm hoping the wire might reach me at the same time as my Flask - around Tuesday/Wednesday of next week. Looking forward to trying it!

Last edited:

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Now, as for Nickel Purity. We know from a video review of the Geeco Zero 60W clone, using the same Infinite/SXK chip as the 50W VF clone I just ordered, that the NIckel Purity works as a scale from 10-100. Here's that video at the point where he starts showing that scale: VapanFagan review of Geeco 60W @ showing of Nickel Purity menu. Watch from the beginning for more of his discussion on that, but be warned he's not very technical so don't expect much technical discussion on the feature at all.

It's going to be really interesting to see how this setting works and what benefits it has for Ti, and maybe twisted Nickel/Kanthal.

So as to how it works? My guess (hope) is that it must modify the expected resistance gain / the coefficient of resistance.

Therefore at 100% it would expect the full Nickel coefficient of resistance and at 50% it would act as if the coefficient is half that value?

As for the coefficient value - I've seen 0.0059 / 0.006 several places for Nickel, though one site I just looked at has it at 0.00641. But I'm not 100% sure what it is for Ni200. I saw one place saying 0.004 but I don't think that can be right, because a) I have seen 0.004 referenced twice as the value for Nichrome which is only 80% nickel, where Ni200 is 99.6%; b) when I play with coefficient calculators the resistance gain predicted from 0.0059 is in the ballpark of what I see when I Set Resistance on a cold and hot coil on my IPV4. I've been assuming therefore that the coefficient is perhaps 0.0055 or something similarly close to the pure Nickel value.

So if all that is right, then Titanium (0.0035) would warrant a setting of 58%, assuming we compare it against 0.006 for Nickel and assuming their 100 is also Nickel @ 0.006.

Imagine if we just turned that setting to 58 or a similar number, and Titanium operated perfectly without a manual temperature adjustment! Could we dare to dream it would be so simple? :) Of course it's rare things are quite that simple, so I'd fall off my chair if 58 did just work immediately. But with some playing about, there surely should be a number that works, at least much better than using Ti on a mod without the setting.

This is what I hope to test when I get both the mod, and the Ti wire, next week :)

Last edited:

sando7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2014
Louisville, KY (PRP)
you should enjoy it, looks like all grade#1 which is what you want, yep i seen the purity setting thing and the wire above should reach med/max settings, i really have no first-hand knowledge on this yet but i would imagine it's main use would be for using lower grade wire which you would not want to use any-way....everyone seems to rave over the 26 ga, yet i been quite happy with double-twisting the 30...the temp settings will be different than Ni200 it's recommend to use 80 to 100 degrees less because the Ti runs hotter than Ni.....my Hanna no logo clones like it at 370 to 380, my v3 flask likes it at 350 to 360 and the IPV4 likes it at 340 to 350 & have been sticking with Ni200 on my rdna40 VS so far.... your gonna have to play with it to find your preference for heat & hit-wise and the atty/air-flow/wicking material you use will have determining factors (cotton has a lower flash-point than rayon), plus the resistance of the Ti builds will be higher.....man i've used so many different RDA's my head was spinning but i have found the rite atty for each device and still working on the wattage & joules but i'm slowly tuning it in....i finally have my IPV4 hitting pretty hard & warm...there is definitely a learning curve here and there is no one setting to fit all....you seem like someone who will enjoy this new adventure so i wish ya the best and enjoy cause your on your way :thumb:

g-nite all i'm beat.

Last edited:

Rikk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2014
Utah
I love temp control..it rocks..... (rolls eyes)
And you WILL love it....A few months down the road, when you're all kicked back vapin nickel builds on one of your new DNA mods you just built, reminiscing and laughing at the time when you used to roll your eyes at the thought of using temp control because you just couldn't seem to get a good vape out of it. Yes, you will.

Reactions: Phone Guy

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Now, as for Nickel Purity. We know from a video review of the Geeco Zero 60W clone, using the same Infinite/SXK chip as the 50W VF clone I just ordered, that the NIckel Purity works as a scale from 10-100. Here's that video at the point where he starts showing that scale: VapanFagan review of Geeco 60W @ showing of Nickel Purity menu. Watch from the beginning for more of his discussion on that, but be warned he's not very technical so don't expect much technical discussion on the feature at all.

It's going to be really interesting to see how this setting works and what benefits it has for Ti, and maybe twisted Nickel/Kanthal.

So as to how it works? My guess (hope) is that it must modify the expected resistance gain / the coefficient of resistance.

Therefore at 100% it would expect the full Nickel coefficient of resistance and at 50% it would act as if the coefficient is half that value?

As for the coefficient value - I've seen 0.0059 / 0.006 several places for Nickel, though one site I just looked at has it at 0.00641. But I'm not 100% sure what it is for Ni200. I saw one place saying 0.004 but I don't think that can be right, because a) I have seen 0.004 referenced twice as the value for Nichrome which is only 80% nickel, where Ni200 is 99.6%; b) when I play with coefficient calculators the resistance gain predicted from 0.0059 is in the ballpark of what I see when I Set Resistance on a cold and hot coil on my IPV4. I've been assuming therefore that the coefficient is perhaps 0.0055 or something similarly close to the pure Nickel value.

So if all that is right, then Titanium (0.0035) would warrant a setting of 58%, assuming we compare it against 0.006 for Nickel and assuming their 100 is also Nickel @ 0.006.

Imagine if we just turned that setting to 58 or a similar number, and Titanium operated perfectly without a manual temperature adjustment! Could we dare to dream it would be so simple? :) Of course it's rare things are quite that simple, so I'd fall off my chair if 58 did just work immediately. But with some playing about, there surely should be a number that works, at least much better than using Ti on a mod without the setting.

This is what I hope to test when I get both the mod, and the Ti wire, next week :)

Your theory looks good but so did mine a few weeks ago... It probably won't work. Besides both materials having a different temperature coefficient, their temp/resistance curve is, most likely, not linear between each other. I found this when I did the water test.

Nickel will read 212F while Titanium reads 210F (2F deviation)

With eliquid, nickel reads 430F (no cotton scorch marks when dried out) and Titanium around 340F

As you can see, the 90F difference applies around temperatures of 400F but not at 200F which can only be explained by different temperature profiles between the two materials.

We really need those companies to start including Ti profiles in their boards.

Tony

sando7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2014
Louisville, KY (PRP)
just watched the video on the purity settings and Ti was not mentioned, but i wonder why it would not work the purity of both wires is almost exact.....the purity settings are just what i thought they were for "for lower grade wire" that is sold in 3rd world countries....personally i think it will work because the settings go from 10 to 100 and all it really does is lower the firing temp at the lower settings, so in theory if your using a 99.6 or 99.7 pure wire set it all the way up and then control your temp & wattage as normal.....i bet it will fire just fine.

i sure will be glad to find out if Ti indeed does work on this Zero cln. mod w/purity setting....also if you watch the video at the end of watching the e-mail for single mod sales are given.....just might pick me one up.

and good morning every-one!

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Cool, my TI wire shipped already from Zipvipf! Nice turnaround from them, shipped about three hours after opening time this morning. I did put a little message with the order, saying it was for an urgent project and I would be so grateful if they could ship fast :) I was worried because all the products say "Can ship in 1-3 days." Anyway, all worked out fine!

Your theory looks good but so did mine a few weeks ago... It probably won't work. Besides both materials having a different temperature coefficient, their temp/resistance curve is, most likely, not linear between each other. I found this when I did the water test.

With eliquid, nickel reads 430F (no cotton scorch marks when dried out) and Titanium around 340F

As you can see, the 90F difference applies around temperatures of 400F but not at 200F which can only be explained by different temperature profiles between the two materials.

Ah OK, interesting. Is that a test you described in this thread? I'd be very interested to read more details - do you have a link handy, or could tell me a keyword to search for?

I am an absolute newbie to all of this, and indeed physics and maths in general. But my understanding so far was that:

"Besides both materials having a different temperature coefficient, their temp/resistance curve is, most likely, not linear between each other"

cannot be correct. I understood that the temperature coefficient IS the temp/resistance curve. And that it's always linear - it has to be, because it's derived from a formula; in the same way that resistance increase from thickness of material has to be linear.

(EDIT: I might be wording that terribly, an example of me having no knowledge of even intermediate maths: I suppose 'deriving from a formula' doesn't have to mean 'linear' as such, eg if the formula involves squares - what I mean to say is that the same formula is used for both Ti and Nickel, using a different base number, so in both cases the resistance increase is predictable from the same formula in the same way as long as the right coefficient is used.)

So the Ti coefficient of 0.0035 defines one curve, and Nickel's 0.006 defines another. If temp sensing is done using nickel's 0.006 it will be way off using Titanium, but if the right coefficient is used, it should then be accurate - just as accurate as it was with nickel.

For some evidence of this, take a look at a Temperature Coefficient of Resistance calculator, here's an example at HyperPhysics, and another, simpler. The first at HyperPhysics requires you to enter coefficient in the format 59 x 10^ -3 (you enter 59 and -3, they being the values for Nickel), the latter is simpler and I used 0.006 for pure Nickel - there's a table below the second calculator showing some example values - but not Ti, which would be 0.0035 on the second calc and 35 x 10^ -3 on the second.

There's several such calculators on the 'net and I've played with a few. They all work on the same basis - put in the coefficient number, a starting resistance, starting temp, and then either end resistance or end temp, and it will calculate the other for you. These calculators don't ask for what material you're using, they just ask for the coefficient - that is my evidence that, at least for temperature prediction, coefficient is all that's needed to derive a temperature offset from a resistance offset, or a resistance offset from a temperature offset.

I'll say again that I'm absolutely not an expert, and I emphasised should above because I guess there definitely could be other things at work in practice.

For example, perhaps assumptions are made in the TC chips about the heating properties of Nickel, such as "apply 20W and it will increase in temp by X" which don't hold true for Ti. So maybe adjusting the coefficient, if indeed NIckel Purity even does that, will help it sense the right temperature, but won't help it achieve the desired temperature because that's controlled by some other fixed variable that can't be adjusted.

But I am pretty sure that the coefficient itself is simple and directly translatable between Nickel and Titanium, as long as the coefficient number is altered. What I'm not at all certain of is whether the Nickel Purity setting even modifies the coefficient!

I have emailed the Geeco guy to ask him - my question was technical so no great hope of help, but perhaps he'll pass it on to someone who knows. I told him I was getting in to YouTube and was a big poster on ECF, in the hope that this would encourage him to help me to get more publicity for his new mod :) (Which in fairness, it will - if Nickel Purity does work for Ti, that's going to bring a lot of interest to these new mods that have it.)

I'd be really interested to learn more on the test you did - could you let me know exactly what you did, and/or link me to details?

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I found this when I did the water test.

Or you just set your device to around 350F and vape and be happy. :D

Reactions: sando7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread