Status
Not open for further replies.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
Here's a real good suggestion that probably won't fly :p
However, the results would be phenomenal.

By the way ... for the benefit of new members ...
There's reasons why ya don't see a lot of Calls to Actions asking
for Mass e-mails and click here to sign Petitions.
:p

Back to the subject of this post

Someone said recently ... there's an estimated 10 Million vaping in the US alone.
You couldn't prove it by the numbers we see vaping in public.
The overwhelming vast majority of vapers will NOT openly vape in Public.
Don't believe me?
How many have you seen out there vaping ... Lets say, within the last 30 days.
Anyone here spend anytime hanging out on the E-cigarettes in Public forum lately?

We have a huge Army of Walking Talking Billboards for our movement.
hiding out in their homes, cars, smoking areas, ETC ... out of sight from the general public.

Solve that problem ... WOW !!

I told ya it was a real good suggestion ... but probably won't fly.
Unless someone has a brainstorm idea that would get the army of vapers to "come out"

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
It sure would solve the problem LOL. I don't go out much, I'm retired, and it seems I'm the only one that vapes around in my town. Usually at Starbucks sitting outside, and no one has given me a second look when I take out my provari with a 4ml glass tank. Maybe they're all closet vapers, who knows.

Only time someone went into a tizzy was when I was vaping on my eGo C with a cartomizer sitting outside a restaurant after we were done eating. Two women were walking into the restaurant and the last one grabbed the first one and asked her "What is she smoking?" as she shoved the first woman into the restaurant. It was comical, I would have been more than happy to answer her question but she acted as if she had seen something illegal going on.

Maybe some vapers are taking a vacation from having taken the abuse from the holier than thou non-smokers we had to put up with and are just content to vape at home or in the car.

I personally don't have any problem vaping in public. :)

Benji5981

Oct 30, 2012
Midwest USA

Someone said recently ... there's an estimated 10 Million vaping in the US alone.
Don't believe me?
Anyone here spend anytime hanging out on the E-cigarettes in Public forum lately?

hiding out in their homes, cars, smoking areas, ETC ... out of sight from the general public.

Unless someone has a brainstorm idea that would get the army of vapers to "come out"

Yes I'm not sure why we vapers stay "in the closet" so to speak. Fear of lots of questions? Actually, we should be looking forward to the inquisition of others. What an opportunity to share a enjoyable and healthy replacement for analogs!!

Benji5981

Oct 30, 2012
Midwest USA

Don't believe me?

Yes I'm not sure why we vapers stay "in the closet" so to speak. Fear of lots of questions? Actually, we should be looking forward to the inquisition of others. What an opportunity to share a enjoyable and healthy replacement for analogs!!

Crazyinariz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2012
Tempe, AZ
Howdy!

Other than restaurants I openly vape without even asking about the policy anymore. At 1st I would find someone who worked wherever I was and ask them the policy but I quit doing that about a month in. Ciffee shops, bars, grocery stores, etc... I just pull out my shiny new chrome lavatube and vape away. I'm not sure if it's allowed or if I'm just too big and scary looking but at most places nobody ever says I can't vape.

StereoDreamer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2012
Columbia MD
I have concealed handgun permits issue from 4 states, and can legally an lawfully carry concealed in 39 states. I can "open carry" in almost as many states--many without ANY PERMIT whatsoever.

So what do I--as a vocal an outspoken 2A activist--do?

Do I carry concealed everywhere, because I'm afraid I might "offend" someone's tender sensibilities? Do I hide my lawfully-owned and carried self-defense handgun under my shirt or jacket, so I won't be bothered by people asking questions (Are you an undercover cop? Is that Legal? Is that a REAL gun? etc, etc, etc...) Do I hide it because I don't want to draw the attention of "anti's" who might confront me for lawfully carrying? (BTW, what sort of brain-dead idiot gets all rude and confrontational with an OBVIOUSLY armed person because the gun "scares" them?!?)

No. I Open Carry--EVERYWHERE an EVERY TIME I can.

Sure, sometimes, carrying in "stealth mode" is better--when I'm wearing a suit, when I'm visiting people I know aren't rational about lawful carry, when my 3-year-old grand-daughter comes to visit. But if I am in a jurisdiction that recognizes my fundamental human right to self defense, I ALWAYS Carry Openly because it lets the world know where I stand on my own safety and security, it lets "officials" know that I know my rights and am free to exercise them, and it often provides an excellent "teaching moment" when someone asks me why I carry...

And the SAME GOES for vaping.

Granted, Vaping is not a Constitutionally-guaranteed fundamental human right. But it IS still legal in the vast majority of places in the USA, requires no special license, permit or permission, and it is something I enjoy doing, so I'm not going to hide it. I have nothing to be ashamed of. Vaping is not a crime (in most places). PLUS, it provides many EXCELLENT educational opportunities. And I LOVE being a vape-evangelist...

In the last week, I've had three different people--one of which was a non-smoker who was curious (not confrontational, and in fact, he was supportive of Vaping). Each time, I gave them my "elevator pitch" about vaping, and the specific mod I was using, and if they were interested in vaping, I gave them a card for my favorite vendor (which had my ref code on the back).

I understand that, just like in the gun-toting community, not all vapers are inclined to be activists/evangelists/educators, and that is cool. If you are shy, or just don't like interacting with strangers, or for whatever reason don't want to be bothered, then fine. You have the right to vape however you please.

But I ENJOY talking to people about Vaping. I like making converts. I like being able to walk into a mall/restaurant/bar/store vaping while the smokers huddle outside in the cold/rain/sweltering heat. I like being a positive force for Vaping Rights, by educating non-smokers about what Vaping REALLY is, and hopefully converting even people who are anti-smoking to "our side".

We need all the friends we can get. Some jurisdictions are starting to crack own on Vaping--an unless we can present a unified, numerous and authoritative voice, we will slowly have our "right to vape" chipped away, with restrictions, bans, an eventually outright legislative prohibition (BTW, vaping is not a right, any more than drinking coffee or chewing gum is a "right", but you know what I mean...)

By going about our daily routine--going to the grocery store, sitting at a bar, shopping for a new bike for the kids, whatever, an vaping like it is a normal activity--we normalize the activity in the public eye. If every vaper in the US "open vaped" for the next month, I GUARANTEE that most of these silly government moves to restrict vaping would stop immediately, because they would realize that there are MILLIONS of us who will GLADLY vote for "the other guy" next election, when we remember how the "current gang of thugs" treated us as vapers.

Don't hide your mod under a bushel. Open Vape...

Last edited:

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
The only way we'll get "the masses" to understand just how different e-cigarettes are from traditional cigarettes is for them to experience them up close and personal. Otherwise, all they have are pictures, which can't possibly convey how the vapor is non-irritating and basically odorless in an open setting where smoke may still bother them (ie., bar, restaurant, mall, park, pool, office.) If you think of the fact that 99% of the support for laws against second hand smoke were passed based solely on the fact that people find it annoying (rather than any real proof of health risks,) it's the lack of annoyance factors that will "sell" e-cigarettes to non-smokers more than anything else. The only way to convince them that e-cigarette vapor won't annoy them is for them to actually experience it, because pictures and video just seem to show "smoking." Our biggest weapon against the ANTZ is an educated AND EXPERIENCED public. If they don't see and experience them being used around them first-hand, all they have to base their opinion on is images of people doing something that sure LOOKS like smoking and hearing the ANTZ telling them how bad e-cigs are. How e-cigs SMELL (or rather, DON'T smell) is their greatest asset. People don't really care about our health, they care about not being annoyed (even if they claim they are also worried about their health.) So we MUST convince people, without a doubt, that the smell won't bother them. Then when some ANTZ says on the news or to a legislator, "E-cigarettes are the same as smoking and should be banned where smoking is banned" it's not just us knowing that it's a complete lie. The ONLY way to do this is to get out in public and SHOW THEM.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
The ONLY way to do this is to get out in public and SHOW THEM.
Truer words were never spoken !!!
1-ThumbsUp_zpsc134b2bb.gif

Last edited:

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
Kristin's reply (above) reminds me of when I first heard the FDA wanted to ban E-cigarette
I said to myself ...
The ONLY way we are going to win this fight is if we convert Millions of smokers.

The assumption was All e-smokers would be openly vaping in public
and spreading the truth.

Well ... Ya know what they say about Assuming

StereoDreamer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2012
Columbia MD
The ONLY way we are going to win this fight is if we convert Millions of smokers.

We HAVE. The last figures I saw, there are an estimated 5 million UNITS of e-cigs sold in the US this year.

The trouble is, many of them feel, for some reason, that they need to sneak around like junior-high kids, clandestinely vaping in bathrooms, closets and hidden stairwells, instead of out in public--like they did when they smoked analogues...

The assumption was All e-smokers would be openly vaping in public
and spreading the truth.

Yeh, I don't get it. When these folks were smoking Marlboros or KOOLs, they did it where other people could see them--in bars, on the street, standing in the "smokers area" outsie offices, businesses and malls.

But now, they feel they need to "stealth vape"--even in places where there is no prohibition on vaping. Some folks even consider "stealth vaping" to be some sort of "secret victory" like they are pulling one over on "the man", when in fact, they are self-marginalizing--literally volunteering to act like segregated second-class citizens.

Vaping is NOT a crime (in most jurisdictions), people. There is NOTHING to be ashamed about. You should be PROUD of the fact that you are:
1) no longer killing yourself slowly by smoking cigararettes,

2) no longer endangering (or offending) non-smokers with your second-hand smoke, and

3) you are supporting a vibrant an growing entrepreneurial sector of the economy--one of the FEW growth industries in the West that isn't totally owned and operated by the very companies that are trying to perpetrate eugenics on you by selling you dangerous tobacco products that are DESIGNED to slow-kill you, or taking dangerous prescriptions drugs (to help you "kick the habit") that are DESIGNED to make you crazy, suicidal, homicidal, impotent or depressed.

Get out there, people, and VAPE OPENLY!

Thompson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2012
North of NorCal
I think its because of the perceived possibility of people thinking its for illicit substances, and not nicotine.

A cig by any brand is easily recognized by all the telltale signs.

But an ecig, especially the larger APV mods, can look rather...illegal.

I've noticed people staring at me using my APV out of my periphery but have gotten used to it.

As this thread touches on, the only way to get those inquisitive stares to stop (and the assumption that it is something illegal) is to use them openly and answer any and all questions forwarded. It can't hurt to be a bit considerate too if somebody is truly that bothered by it, even after explanation.

It doesn't help with these companies rebranding eGo batteries and the like for illicit use (not to mention the extortionate prices they set).

thelump

Verified Member
Apr 2, 2009
Stockton,CA
I openly vape in public all the time, I smoked in public all the time i don't see a difference. I still wont vape in many buildings unless the owner gives me the okay.I think going to the smoking area at work or in public is a good thing. We can help educate more smokers by being with them and exposing them to the wonderful world of vaping. With me going to the smoking area at work, I've exposed many of my co-workers and guest it.

StereoDreamer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2012
Columbia MD
I think its because of the perceived possibility of people thinking its for illicit substances, and not nicotine.

A cig by any brand is easily recognized by all the telltale signs.

But an ecig, especially the larger APV mods, can look rather...illegal.

That is simply an absurd idea, and a silly, cowardly cop-out for people who just don't want to be bothered with strangers asking them questions.

Please show me ONE SINGLE instance where ANYONE in the USA has been arrested for using such a device with illicit substances. Or better yet, give me one reliable news story or even a credible account from a forum where a legitimate Vaper was harrassed by LEOs for "Open Vaping" because they thought he/she was using it for something illegal.

We'll wait...

EXACTLY. Such instances do not exist. Anyone who is afraid they will be harassed by LEOs because they are using a PV in public is just buying into the disinformation being pumped out by the ANTZ.

And WHO CARES if some uneducated do-gooder thinks you are doing something illegal? If they are THAT concerned, they can call the cops. And when the police show up, I'll explain to them that is it a PV, it is 100% legal, and that I'd like them to apologize to me for wasting my time and illegally detaining me, and I'd ALSO like to file charges against the person who called it in for "filing a false police report", which, BTW is a FELONY in most jurisdictions. The police are, BTW, legally obligated to investigate and apprehend people who they KNOW have committed a felony...

Vaping is NOT a crime.

Last edited:

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
I've gota an idea ...
That really wouldn't require any money and little effort.
:)

Here in Missouri there's a restaurant that announced "E-cigarette smoking Welcome Here"
The local paper picked up the story and then it hit the Internet and was big news for a while.
:thumb:

The rough draft plan
1. Pick a large city (to insure a large e-smoking population)
2. Make some calls in that area asking bars, clubs, restaurants,
any eateries or fun places where people congregate ....
Asking if they would officially welcome vapers ...
In return we would network ALL e-cigarette forms and spread
the news ... "If you live in or near (fill in the blank) or plan on
visiting there ... Vapers are Welcome at (Fill in the Blank)

All the establishments need to do is Officially welcome us
and we will do a major Internet networking advertisement
campaign for them ABSOLUTELY FREE
:toast:

Then we select another city and repeat the above

We might even be contacted by establishments we didn't contact
wanting to know if we would be willing to drive more customers
to their establishment.

Folks ... Money talks and the rest Walks
The more I think about this idea the more I know it will work
AND getting vapers to "come out" and have fun and Vape and have fun together
the public would see e-cigs are safe and fun ... AND e-smokers are normal people
and vapers can share their testimonials with non-smokers.

Food for Thought ... so to speak
1-BigGrin.png

abracadebra

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2012
Queensland banana bender land of OZ
im doing my bit in the land of oz....if there are any vapers in my neck of the woods...I never see them.....I vape outside shopping centres....im asked questions often.....I had my first vape in the pub the other night....the bouncers came over I explained it wasn't smoke..he said ok walked away....yes stop hiding at home aussie vapers get out there.....:thumb:

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
Encouraging "closet vapers" to get out there is helpful and important.
However, having a list of establishments and public gathering areas
which welcome e-smokers ... would be a huge insensitive for "closet vapers"
to go to these places and feel comfortable vaping.

Meet at (fill in the blank) and eat, drink, socialize and party with fellow vapers !!

Several e-cig marketers have found having a large area set aside just for vapers
to hang out and vape (chairs, couches, beverages etc) to be a "boom" for their
businesses. The next level ... getting other companies to be vaper friendly would
be a boom for their businesses.
:)

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
I do know what a bunch of you guys and gals are thinking.
"Most" businesses will not be willing to welcome e-smokers.
DA !!!

We don't need "MOST" to welcome e-smoking ... Just 1 or 2 in each community.
Trust Me ... the word will spread to other establishments that e-smokers
are just like everyone else ... We ain't a rowdy crowd and we will patronize
any restaurant or bar (for example) that welcomes us ... AND we will
spend Money at these establishments!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread