440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
um, i don't understand.
i get that people are hoarding bleach n stuff, but why vg?
I guess demand to use it in DIY hand sanitizer may have spiked demand for the last couple weeks, leading some vapers to assume it won't be readily available. I recently bought a gallon and it takes a couple years to use it up so I'm not concerned at all. If I thought I would run out in the next 90 days I'd probably pick some up.

Some of the stocking decisions may be too emotional - my wife now has 124 ounces of mayonnaise. If I point out she's four ounces short of a gallon she'd probably get another jar. At least she can relate to our vape stockpile!

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I guess demand to use it in DIY hand sanitizer may have spiked demand for the last couple weeks, leading some vapers to assume it won't be readily available. I recently bought a gallon and it takes a couple years to use it up so I'm not concerned at all. If I thought I would run out in the next 90 days I'd probably pick some up.

Some of the stocking decisions may be too emotional - my wife now has 124 ounces of mayonnaise. If I point out she's four ounces short of a gallon she'd probably get another jar. At least she can relate to our vape stockpile!
I keep looking at my 4ft by 10 ft pantry with full shelves from floor to ceiling and wondering what I forgot. LOL

Mind you this is our normal everyday pantry. Not a special stockup for this emergency. An experience with a post hurricane power failure for 2 weeks when we had no reserve at all outside the freezer (which went bad fast) taught me a hard lesson a few years ago. I keep a 30 day + supply of food, water and necessary other items (meds etc) at all times. Vaping wise I prepped for 40 years.

Now it helps that I am a canner. So I have things like quart jars of home made stews and massive numbers of pint jars of home made soups. Meat I canned myself when I was able to buy it cheap. Bread is easy to make just hit youtube for many recipes. Bananas getting a bit too brown? I dehydrate them into my own banana chips (actually I do that with all fruit that is getting a bit overripe).

There are ways to oven can dry rice and beans so they never get buggy.

Much like we prep for the May 12 vaping deadline we need to be read for emergencys in other parts of our lives. You never know when a job will be lost, a lengthy illness, a natural disaster will happen or as is now a pandemic. I am not talking end of the world crazy prepper stuff. Just common sense.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
i'm real suprized that people knew vg could be used for that.
i didn't know.
in fact, i never heard of vg before i started vaping.

well, i have plenty.
i sure won't buy more til prices drop.
Small bottles of glycerine can be bought at drug stores and it is marketed as a moisturizer. If you look a toiletry labels it is in MANY of them.Heck I have used drug store glycerine (which is USP VG) to make eliquid in an emergency.

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    Went with Heartland Vapes because I could get to $50 and get the free shipping by buying 4 gallons of VG. I use max VG and I don't plan on quitting vaping so I'll definitely use it and if there's going to be a shortage or price increase I'd rather be ahead of it.

Also grabbed some 1L bottles because I don't feel like having to pour out of a gallon into my tiny little funnel. Got the squeeze tops for them and if that nozzle fits inside of my 100 ml bottles I'm going to be ecstatic. It's the little things...
    It is showing as 16.99 for a gallon so how did you get 4 gallons plus other stuff for 50.00?

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    It is showing as 16.99 for a gallon so how did you get 4 gallons plus other stuff for 50.00?

Maybe @Haktuspit meant 4 liters? That would come to under $28 for 4 liters of VG.

EDIT: Upon reading the post again, I think @Haktuspit said Heartland was used since shipping is free over $50, not that the total purchase was $50.

Last edited:

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA

Uh, is that like a few bricks shy of a load? Yeah, good you didn't say anything! :lol:

Ideas and information gets passed around SUPER quickly (lightning speed) these days through social media.

And, surprisingly, some of it is even accurate. Just don't drink the bleach. :rolleyes:

BigPappa

Ultra Member
    Sep 21, 2019
    Fort Myers, FL
    Too funny.... I just came here to ask a question and noticed the recent posts.... you will see why it's funny when I ask.

I could not find 99% rubbing alcohol but I have some 70% on backorder that I think has a chance of shipping soon.... My question is: With 16oz of 70% alcohol, how much VG should I add so that the end product has 60% alcohol?.. My blonde hair is getting in the way of my math.

Myrany

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 14, 2013
    Louisiana
    Too funny.... I just came here to ask a question and noticed the recent posts.... you will see why it's funny when I ask.

I could not find 99% rubbing alcohol but I have some 70% on backorder that I think has a chance of shipping soon.... My question is: With 16oz of 70% alcohol, how much VG should I add so that the end product has 60% alcohol?.. My blonde hair is getting in the way of my math.
    Honestly all you need the VG for is to keep it from drying out the skin. How to make your own hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes

Has the recipe at 70% or higher alcohol. Instead of aloe vera gel you would use VG

The stuff I made the hubby for work I only put 1 tablespoon of VG to 1 cup of 70% alcohol. Just enough to keep his hands from drying out but not so much they get slippery or sticky which would make maneuvering his wheelchair hard for him. Couldn't find small spray bottles so he has it in a nice new vape juice dropper bottle. LOL

Last edited:

BigPappa

Ultra Member
    Sep 21, 2019
    Fort Myers, FL
    Honestly all you need the VG for is to keep it from drying out the skin. How to make your own hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes

Has the recipe at 70% or higher alcohol. Instead of aloe vera gel you would use VG
    Yeah... I knew it was to stop the skin from drying out, which is important for the wife who uses it like a dozen times a day working with pre-k kids at the local school.... she actually ran out of hand sanitizer last Friday... bad timing... but that recipe they show would bring the alcohol percentage below 60% wouldn't it?? (2/3 cup 70% and 1/3 cup VG).

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 9, 2010
    Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)

7 parts iso 70% to 1 part vg (14 oz iso + 2 oz vg for a pint of sanitizer) yields 61.25%

Shake the bottle to make sure the vg doesn't separate

Myrany

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 14, 2013
    Louisiana
    Yeah... I knew it was to stop the skin from drying out, which is important for the wife who uses it like a dozen times a day working with pre-k kids at the local school.... but that recipe they show would bring the alcohol percentage below 60% wouldn't it?? (2/3 cup 70% and 1/3 cup VG).
    When I made it I put in one tablespoon because more made it slippery for him. Just enough to keep from drying out. You responded while I was editing. He also is a teacher. So we are fully expecting that both of us will end up with this thing. He brings home every bug that goes around.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Thanks, everyone.

How fast is shipping from Heartland? I haven't ordered from them in years.

My experience is they ship within 2-6 days, depending on if there is a nic sale or not. Nic sale = slower shipping. No nic sale right now, but if they are getting runs on VG, then shipping could be slowed.

EDIT: The one time it took 6 days to ship, I believe they had a problem with their system, so that wasn't typical.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 6, 2011
    Somewhere out there
    Honestly after stocking up for vaping, I am not in the mood to stock up on food and other items, geez it never ends! But guess I'll soldier on :) I do have sanitizer, alcohol and gloves and Lysol and bleach so I have a good start. I even have aloe Vera to make my sanitizer if I run out. Masks are on order so should be here soon. Thank goodness I can vape thru the stress LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread