Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
For those that drew a distinction between vaping and nicotine, I thought the vaping of nicotine was implied by contrasting the term "vaping" with that of our "(previous) addiction to cigarettes". If I meant solely vaping, irrespective of nicotine, I wouldn't have brought cigarettes into the equation. I didn't edit the post becasue I don't mind the distinctions being made, however I was referring to nicotine through vaping.

frosting

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Connecticut
Well.... I would bet there is some level of addiction absolutely. I shouldn't fool myself into thinking otherwise. However, it is not nearly to the degree smoking was. I can go without my PV. To me it's more of this feeling like... "I'm allowed" to do it more now because it's not smoking, no tar, no crazy chemicals. It's become much more of a want than a need.

Back peddling a little regardless of the addiction issue, when I was doing soul searching about quitting smoking before I discovered e-ciggs I discovered a truth about myself: I LOVED smoking. It became so ingrained. It was a social thing, a stress relief thing, helped digestion after a meal, and was a pleasure the act itself anyways. Not necessarily the side effects. I hated the side effects which is what led me here.

To sum it up simply.... I'm having my cake and eating it too! Which is basically why ASH and cold turkey quitters(the majority) seem to hate on the wonderful world of vaping. I enjoyed smoking, but I enjoy vaping sooooo much more.

mistinthewoods

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Brooklyn, MI
I have been thinking about this topic for a while and would like to know what you all think.

-Are you physically addicted to vaping?
-Are you psychologically addicted to vaping?
-If you answered yes to both physiological and psychological addiction to vaping, how does it play out in comparison with your (previous) addiction to cigarettes? Any similarities? Not even close?
-Is it possible that some of us are infatuated with vaping as opposed to being straight-up addicted?

Thoughts?​
:pop:

- Not any more.
- No. I just like it. 3 days in the hospital without a vape didn't bother me at all.
- I didn't answer yes so, yeah, no comparison.
- Vaped nicotine is addictive like caffeine is addictive (I get bad headaches if I don't get my coffee). I tapered down to 0-nic a year ago and have been nic free ever since so there's nothing left to be addicted to. My juice is stupid cheap to mix now too. :)
Thems is my thoughts!

JENerationX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2011
Rochester, NY
I don't think I'm as addicted to the nicotine anymore. I'm on 12mg juice, and I can leave it alone for hours and not have that irritability that I had when I was smoking. I also think because I can theoretically vape anywhere, I'm not as tied to getting that "nic fix" going into a restaurant, movie, event etc. where I won't be able to smoke. I used to smoke on the way to the store, smoke one before entering, smoke one on the way out, and smoke one on the way home. Now I can take a few puffs whenever I want, so I don't HAVE to vape like I HAD to smoke. I can also do it inside, so I don't go outside with 2,3,4 cigarettes and smoke them all, then come in for an hour or two. I can take 4-5 puffs and be good for at least an hour or two.

I do LIKE vaping a lot more than I liked smoking though, so there are times when I'm stressed or having a tough phone conversation that I may chain vape. I think that has more to do with the hand to mouth habit than the nicotine though. I'm going to start experimenting with 6mg and maybe even 0 nic to see if I can.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I was (and still am) addicted to the actions of smoking. Inhaling, holding, and using an ecig satisfies that part of the habit. I'm still addicted to nicotine, but not to the point I was with tobacco.

At work, I'd get stuck on a tough problem, troubleshooting and trying to half split and work my way forward toward the offending component. Periodically, I'd go out and smoke. That got me away from the stress point and into the outside where I could enjoy fresh air in between hits and relax a little ... listen to the birds sing ... see some sunshine. After a few minutes, I'd go back to the computer room with a new slant and make some more progress. Sometimes getting away from the problem spurred my mind to think of new ideas on how to isolate a tough problem. Many eureka moments came during a smoke break.

Trill

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2012
Nashville
Yep and yep. I'll answer the second question first. Vaping is -the- reason I was able to quit smoking. I am addicted to the nicotine itself, but I need the vapor and the oral fixation fix and the ritual/habit. But, yeah, the other morning, I woke up, was vaping the hell out of some cranapple, kept reaching towards the area where I used to keep my cigs/lighter. Finally realized that the cranapple was 5mg, so I switched to my 24mg mix and was fine.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Well, I'm kind of a strange case in that I'm not sure I was ever addicted to cigarettes.

I only had on average around 6 cigarettes per day, but did that for over 27 years.
I could often go all day (only on weekends, not a work day) without having one and not even thinking about it.

But there was one cigarette I had to have, even on weekends, and that was the first one of the day.
And I mean first thing when I woke up, top priority, of critical importance!

With vaping, I very often go until well into the afternoon before I even take my first vape.
In fact, I just had my first vape today only about 20 minutes ago at nearly 5pm.
:)

b3ast1e

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
UK South Coast
I get about the same withdrawal from vaping as I did from smoking, I often chain vape. But I find I can go half a day without even thinking about it. When I smoked, the only way I could get through a long haul flight without going crazy was to sleep it away.

I know I'm addicted to more than the hand to mouth and ritual because I tried stepping down from 18 to 8mg and was hanging. As soon as I got it back up to 18mg I was cool again.

CommaHolly

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Plant City, FL
I am addicted to the psychological aspect of hand to mouth, inhaling, seeing vapor, etc,,,,,,,,relaxing with a cup of coffee and my PV,,,,,,,driving and vaping, etc,,,,,,,,but it's much less of a need the longer I vape. I can go hours without if necessary and think nothing of it,,,,,,,,,,,but I ENJOY vaping,,,,,,,if I am bored and having nothing better to do, I will often vape MORE than I smoked,,,,,,,I am down to 6-12 mg now, from 18-24 originally,,,,,,,,I could care less if there's nic in there,,,,,,,I expect I will get down to zero,,,,,,if you gave me a choice between nicotine OR vaping,,,,,,,,I'd pick vaping every time.

malus_rex

Jun 15, 2012
Maryland
I'd say I'm physically addicted to nicotine and psychologically addicted to vaping. I've only been vaping (cig free) for two months now, and I still have a supply of both cigarettes and snus, which I almost never touch.

Yesterday I had a problem with my ego-c and couldn't get it working at all for several hours. When the physical addiction to nicotine kicked in after a couple hours without a vape I started working feverishly to fix my ecig. After 20-30 minutes I was getting frustrated much like i would back in my smoking days, so I popped in a snus. This satiated the frustration part of addiction (physical) but I still couldn't focus on anything else until I had fixed my ego.

The snus I used is a pretty strong variety I picked up a few months ago in europe... The first time i tried it the nic levels made me sick. It definitely cured my nicotine fix, but at the same time there was still some part of the addiction driving me to get a vape as soon as possible.

All that said, I have no desire to give up vaping. As others have hypothesized, I believe some people have an addictive personality. In the absence of vaping, even passing the addiction, I think I would find something else to become addicted to, or simply go back to smoking. In the past I have also been addicted to cola, tea, coffee, hard candy, energy drinks, and probably others. So far vaping is the first addiction i've had that actually improved my health...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread