Best tobacco for flavor extraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourgurnard

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
London
Just recently ran a few tanks of Red Virginia and an Oriental, plus one other which I will come back to.

The method for each was pretty much the same. I put 10g of tobacco into a canning jar, and covered with 120ml pg/15ml vodka. Left alone in a dark cupboard for six days then heated at 135-140f in my slow cooker with the lid off the jar for 5hrs. The final mix, which had reduced down to about 75ml, was then filtered through a generic coffee filter, then further filtered using 5 micron filter felt (took 30hrs:eek:).

I initially tried a wee sample of each in one of my drippers:shock:....bloody hell, wow! - Now, I'm no connoisseur by all means, but if you had to pin me down and describe the flavour, I would describe the RV as smooth/slightly woody with a hint of fruit. Simply gorgeous. Looking forward to trying this with other tobacco leaf and even flavour concentrates. Maybe a touch of FA maple syrup? - Like I said before, I'm no connoisseur, so to describe the oriental, I would say it was quite robust although not as full on as an aged burley. Aromatic/deep flavour with what I would say, a slight hint of spice? - Anyhow, it's bloody lovely. I also made up a separate sample of oriental and 2% TFA Almond Amaretto. Its pretty good, but think I need to make it 4% next time. The amounts I used of the concentrates were: Red Virginia 20% and Oriental 25%. While I think the Oriental is about right for my taste, I will probably knock the RV down a couple of percent.

Onto the last one I mixed. It was a Cameroon leaf in which I used the same method as above, however, the amount was 7.8g. This was sent to me with a few grams of ''assorted'' leaf as the place I purchased it were out of stock of another leaf I was after. Mixed at 20% - it is very, very weak and getting hardly any flavour at all. No harm no foul though, it was a freebie after all.

Been spending a lot of time on a few UK/US online pipe and tobacco shops. Just looking at all the different brand names of pipe tobacco. It's enough to make your mouth water!
While I'm buying in quite a bit of leaf - in a lot of cases, I'm not going to be able to gauge the percentages of a particular brand, so will probably end up buying a few tins. Great this N.E.T malarkey;).

Edit:
oops, forgot to mention. Although it does take a while to filter - the 5 micron filter felt enables me to get 9-10 ml through before I need a dry burn/new coil.

Interesting! Did You get Your leaf from the Guys in 'the Emerald Isle'?...
My 1st try at this was using Red Virginia Leaf & it's still a staple for Me; Sweet, Strong & Distinctive!
2nd go was with Semi-Oriental, which is n't as much to My taste.
3rd go:- bought cigar leaf (Dominican, Brazilian, Colombian & Havana..) Results similar to Yours...tho' I'm guessing that a longer steep or longer heating may've coaxed more flavour from them...the Havana was stronger than t'others.
Try Red Virg. with Aged Burley...the sweetness of the RV wiv a bit more 'robustness' from the Burley!

Last edited:

Burley Blend

Sep 29, 2015
UK
Interesting! Did You get Your leaf from the Guys in 'the Emerald Isle'?...
My 1st try at this was using Red Virginia Leaf & it's still a staple for Me; Sweet, Strong & Distinctive!
2nd go was with Semi-Oriental, which is n't as much to My taste.
3rd go:- bought cigar leaf (Dominican, Brazilian, Colombian & Havana..) Results similar to Yours...tho' I'm guessing that a longer steep or longer heating may've coaxed more flavour from them...the Havana was stronger than t'others.
Try Red Virg. with Aged Burley...the sweetness of the RV wiv a bit more 'robustness' from the Burley!

I did mate, although his stock levels and communications can be a bit hit and miss. Decent enough leaf though. Love the Aged Burley, so will defiantly be mixing it with some RV.

farisjc

Jun 12, 2014
Cambridge, MA
seems contrary to the name.... "bitter", but ends up sweet?

What I meant to say was I mix my juices with 20% NET extract and 80% VG, so all my juices turn out relatively sweet. Even if the extract is some robust English, like Billy Bud, it still turns out sweet in addition to being intensely smokey. I'm just wondering if adding Bitter Wizard would lessen the sweetness.
When I tasted W2V's Paris I remember it being remarkably "unsweet" for a juice that is purportedly 95% VG. I guess that kind of flavor profile is what I'm looking to add to me collection. BTW anyone have any hunches as to what kind of tobacco was used to produce Paris blend?

farisjc

Jun 12, 2014
Cambridge, MA
I did an extract from a half smoked cigar for S&G's ( turned out really nasty) wasnt sweet, had that smokey texture to it ( bit too much maybe) smelled of dirty ashtray....

Maybe that's what W2V does for their Paris blend. That's been one of my suspicions all along. Maybe that's why the juice is so hard on the coils: you literally have to recoil after every 1mL, maybe less.

Reactions: Str8vision

Vapenstein

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
Maybe that's what W2V does for their Paris blend.

I selected the tobaccos used for all of the former Vapenstein Blends. Since these products are still being sold by W2V I am not going to say what tobaccos were used, but I will put to bed any ideas that partially smoked tobaccos were used in any of them. Each of these blends were made with extracts from processed tobacco.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
picked up 3 types of Pipe tobacco from a local shop..
an Ammaretto blend ( almond tainted)
something called McTruffle ??? ( hints of truffle supposedly) smells really good tho
and a Raspberry based tobacco ( also smells wonderful)
doing all 3 in a WARM PGA steep ( 140F) for several hours

ohh also trying a new twist on the Celestial Seasonings Raspberry Zinger tea ( in PGA only room temp)
so far its all raspberry with little to no "tea" hints, the PGA is a nice purple color hopefully this will turn out better than the VG session...
planning on a freeze filter after things cool off...

oh and BTW pipe tobacco has jumped from 3$ an oz to 5$ an oz... OUCH!

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
picked up 3 types of Pipe tobacco from a local shop..
an Ammaretto blend ( almond tainted)
something called McTruffle ??? ( hints of truffle supposedly) smells really good tho
and a Raspberry based tobacco ( also smells wonderful)
doing all 3 in a WARM PGA steep ( 140F) for several hours

ohh also trying a new twist on the Celestial Seasonings Raspberry Zinger tea ( in PGA only room temp)
so far its all raspberry with little to no "tea" hints, the PGA is a nice purple color hopefully this will turn out better than the VG session...
planning on a freeze filter after things cool off...

oh and BTW pipe tobacco has jumped from 3$ an oz to 5$ an oz... OUCH!

Just checked my current P&C cart and the pipe tobacco selections are still around ~$3 per ounce when buying a single ounce. Cigars are another matter, a Rocky Patel vintage '90 Churchill is $9.50 each when buying a single but an Acid Blondie is just $4.45. Haven't tried a raspberry pipe tobacco yet though it does sound intriguing, be sure to post an evaluation. One flavored tobacco that I'm going to try this time around is Sutliff's "Black Vanilla" to see how the vanilla plays out when extracted. Also considering Sutliff's "Crème Brulee" because it has a flavor profile similar to what I currently mix using concentrated flavorings and extract. It's getting cold in my neck of the woods so I'll soon be back to extracting....

Reactions: usr/

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
well... just finished the raspberry tea extract... filtered, reduced and filtered, freezer session and filtered again. I was suprized at the minimal gunk that appeared... nice clear quality, color is a "crimsonish". Did a drop on the finger taste test, very raspberry...
final mix is 50/50 VG/extract ( plan on using it for flavoring other juices) Vape test resulted in a mild raspberry taste, fair amount of alcohol still presesnt ( but I expected that at 50/50 VG/PGA) there seems to be a bit of tannin coming thru ( tea flavor) odd thing tho... vape cloud density is very hi... wonder if the PGA is helping the VG to vaporize better...
need to do a straight VG/PGA 50/50 mix to see if the theory is correct....
looks like the raspberry tea extract is going to need several weeks of shelf time to match what I had previously....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread