Status
Not open for further replies.

mansis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2015
Costa Mesa,CA
How long can you save extracts ?
PG Maceration, then twice filtered, stored brown glass bottles in cool, dark place (closet shelf). But some of this stuff is a year old. Beginning to wonder if I extracted to many flavors at once ....
I mixed a PG extract of over 2 years just few months ago. It was better than fresh.
As of today never lost anything letting my extract aged.

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
How long can you save extracts ?
PG Maceration, then twice filtered, stored brown glass bottles in cool, dark place (closet shelf). But some of this stuff is a year old. Beginning to wonder if I extracted to many flavors at once ....

I'm finishing up some that's two years old. No change or diminishment.

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
Just ordered from 4Noggins.

McClelland Bulk: 2010: CLASSIC VIRGINIA
Amount: 2oz.

McClelland Bulk: PER: PERIQUE

Amount: 2oz.

Blending tobacco: TURKISH IZMIR

Amount: 4oz.

McClelland Bulk: 2010: CLASSIC VIRGINIA

Amount: 1oz.

Gawith Hoggarth Bulk: DARK BIRD'S EYE

Amount: 1oz.

Gawith Hoggarth Bulk: TOP BLACK CHERRY
Amount: 1oz. (Wild hair purchase)

I'm getting more into random blending. Blending already mixed together in the squonk bottle. The Dark Birdseye is really smooth and flavorful after about a year. Good before that but now more mature.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Yep, that's the one.
Just easing into the evening, jammin' to some classic rock and mixing some sweet and mellow NETs. 100ml each of the following ;
Decatur Black Cherry - Pipes and Cigars
Save on Peter Stokkebye 84 Turkish pipe tobacco here at P&C! - Pipes and Cigars
Scotty's Bulk Blends - Honey & Chocolate - Pipes and Cigars
McClelland M96 Mellow Apple Pipe Tobacco - Pipes and Cigars
Save Big on Sutliff Molto Dolce tobacco here at Pipes and Cigars!
Save on the best selling Scotty's Trout Stream tobacco here at P&C! - Pipes and Cigars
If you like strong, stout tobaccos these do not qualify. More along the line of the type of "Champagne tobacco" that HHV sells, only a lot less expensive when made at home.

happy valley

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2016
Up on Bear Mountain
Nothing too revelatory, just an update on some ongoing trials, working through myriad selections in the large stash of cellared (aged 15 years!) tobaccos from my pipe smoking days. 7 half-pint jars, heat assisted in PGA. Lately I've been letting them sit some additional weeks after heat processing before filtering and reducing.

Peter Stokkebye:
#1 Natural Cavevdish
#400 Luxury Navy Flake
McClelland:
No. 2035 Dark Navy Flake
No. 5105 Stoved Virginia
Frog Morton on the Town
Gawith, Hoggarth & Co:
Rum Flake
Admiral's Choice:
Gold Burley

SAM_0002.JPG

Last edited:

Upinsmoke

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2017
Suffolk UK
I finally ventured into Ipswich, my nearest big town with a shop promising to be a mecca for pipe tobacco.
What a let down.
About 30 pipe tobacco varieties most of which were the same stuff sold in the tobacco kiosks in any supermarket .
Came away with Dunhill Navy Rolls.
Don't know if any of you have tried this.
The Dunhill Nightcap was my kind of thing . Needless to say they hadn't got that.
I like to support b&m stores but if they can't try harder I'm going to vote with my feet.
Had a poke around a few vape stores while I was playing the city slicker , man what a sorry sad experience that was .
Same old same old.
Got a great little vape store in a tiny little place called Saxmundham.
Knowledgeable guys a warm welcome a large range of open juices for you to help yourself to. Somewhere you can have a coffee sit in comfort. Yeah good place .
I won't name it as I'm not sure that's ok.
I'll let you know in a few weeks how I like the Navy rolls. The guys on Tobacco review say nice things.
Keep those wicks clean.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Sorry @checkum but I haven't bought any retail juice in a very long time. When I first started extracting I used to periodically buy retail NETs from various vendors to compare against my home made NETs. I stopped doing that once I was satisfied my NETs were as good or better.

Back when I enjoyed hybrid NETs I occasionally bought retail synthetics including "Boba's Bounty", "Caramel Wild Wood", "ACB", "Frenilla", "Tripoli" and "Pistachio RY-4". I'd add NET to them making them NET hybrids. Good stuff but I eventually learned to just mix my own using concentrated flavorings. Unfortunately, I lost interest in hybrids some time ago and now prefer straight NETs.

I still have a square bottles of River Bottom Fog Sauce "Porch Rocker" and "Count Caramel" from early 2014, how many people remember those days? Like MVJ (MyVapeJuice.com), RBFS has long since closed its doors. Back in their day both made the cleanest NETs around, a little on the weak/mild side but they were still tasty. I spent a lot of time figuring out what tobacco was used to make "Porch Rocker" but after all that effort I soon discovered better tobacco blends and never looked back. Sampling new tobaccos a dozen or so at a time inspired this thread. Fun times and lots of good memories. ;)

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
Sorry @checkum but I haven't bought any retail juice in a very long time. When I first started extracting I used to periodically buy retail NETs from various vendors to compare against my home made NETs. I stopped doing that once I was satisfied my NETs were as good or better.

Back when I enjoyed hybrid NETs I occasionally bought retail synthetics including "Boba's Bounty", "Caramel Wild Wood", "ACB", "Frenilla", "Tripoli" and "Pistachio RY-4". I'd add NET to them making them NET hybrids. Good stuff but I eventually learned to just mix my own using concentrated flavorings. Unfortunately, I lost interest in hybrids some time ago and now prefer straight NETs.

I still have a square bottles of River Bottom Fog Sauce "Porch Rocker" and "Count Caramel" from early 2014, how many people remember those days? Like MVJ (MyVapeJuice.com), RBFS has long since closed its doors. Back in their day both made the cleanest NETs around, a little on the weak/mild side but they were still tasty. I spent a lot of time figuring out what tobacco was used to make "Porch Rocker" but after all that effort I soon discovered better tobacco blends and never looked back. Sampling new tobaccos a dozen or so at a time inspired this thread. Fun times and lots of good memories. ;)

I am still wondering why River Bottom Fog Sauce decided to fold. They seemed to have a pretty good following... Good stuff of yesteryear.

SCOTT-3

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2012
london u.k
On looking at German manufacturer take on Kohlhase & Kopp pipe 66 a classic Danish aromatic as having Creme de cassis casing, Thought i give intense unsweetened blackcurrant from Cupcake-world a try with pipe net's,
Finding so so tricky to get %s off casing right, Im as low as 0.25% still to dominant, 0.25% is ok with Canadian Virginia tobacco as being very sweet net,s, All in all adding a aromatic is dam and blast tricky.

• Agree
Reactions: Str8vision

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Easing into some Home & Hearth Virginia Spice that I actually mixed back in July. Don't remember why I put it down back then, but I am enjoying it now. It's a VaPer, with the emphasis on a sweet Virginia and just a touch or Perique. After aging it is mild, mildly sweet and quite enjoyable to me.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
H&H Virginia Spice was an early favorite, originally recommended by an old extractor (johni) who exited the forum long ago. Like the Perique, there's just enough cigar leaf in it to enhance/support the Virginia tobacco which remains the star of the show even after aging.

f1vefour

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Emerald Coast

Porch Rocker was good but I lived for St James Parish, unadulterated Perique :)

Boxster

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
Buda, Tx
Damn! Some of my favorites gone forever.:cry:

Mike and Mary McNiel, owners of McClelland, wrote the below letter to friends and customers on February 28th, 2018:

The McClelland Tobacco Company is closing after 40 years. We want to thank all the retailers and pipe smokers for their support and efforts to spread their appreciation of our pipe tobaccos, taking us from a very modest beginning in Grandpa McClelland’s basement in the Fall of 1977 to a company with a worldwide reputation for quality.

We have made our pipe tobaccos – Virginias, Oriental Mixtures, Aromatics, etc. – from the highest grades of leaf and strip tobaccos because of their basic richness and natural sweetness. That has been the beauty of McClelland and that is now the problem. We can no longer access tobacco of the quality we need. The time-honored, labor intensive processes at the farm are disappearing. The aging of leaf over several summers to mellow in “sweats” is largely a thing of the past. We need “old school” methods at every stage before manufacturing to make it possible for McClelland to draw from the leaf the flavors that have been our hallmark. Without the supportive infrastructure our government used to provide, a small company such as ours cannot continue. We might have limped along with lesser leaf but nobody would have been happy with the resulting products and we would have been ashamed of them.

We have sold down all the inventory that we have been able to produce with the finest leaf. We want to thank you, our customers, and thank our great employees/friends who have been so capable and conscientious and thank our leaf suppliers who have made extraordinary effort to search out the finest leaf possible for us for 40 years. We will miss McClelland and our daily contacts with our friends in the pipe community. We feel privileged to have been part of this wonderful world of the pipe for so long. The finest people we know have been and are pipe and tobacco people, and we hope to keep up our contacts as we move on to the next phase of life.

We wish everybody good luck and good fortune.

Mike and Mary McNiel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread