Brass Screen Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGreen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
A syringe works good but only if you get a fine tipped one. My sister in law is diabetic and her needles worked great. One problem is using them with VG. Very thick and hard to push the plunger. Pg wasn't bad as it is a thinner eliquid.

How about using a syringe with needle to fill the cart through the screens?

savagemyth

ECF Veteran
Great mod, gotta try this. I saw some posts about using copper screen. I know burning brass gives off Zinc Oxide which is the primary cause of "welding fever". I think i'd do stainless, as that's tempered at super high temps. Copper can give off Copper Oxide fumes which NIOSH describes the symptoms as such:

eye, upper respiratory tract irritation; dermatitis, discolored skin and hair; metallic or sweet taste; metal fume fever (primarily with exposure to multiple metal fumes) with chills, fever, muscle aches, nausea and cough.

Last edited:

Glenn54

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2009
New York
A syringe works good but only if you get a fine tipped one. My sister in law is diabetic and her needles worked great. One problem is using them with VG. Very thick and hard to push the plunger. Pg wasn't bad as it is a thinner eLiquid.

needles gee, I use this mod it works great on the 901! no needles just drip right into the cart

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/cartridge-mods/58614-my-first-cart-mod-901-a.html

maybe at some point I'll break even, I hope!

Last edited:

JamBandPhan

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
OR
I just read about and tried the "recover your atty" thread, by removing the mesh/bridge and cleaning the coils, now I have a few atty's that work again, but the coils are "naked" and wondered if anyone has tried putting these screens into the atty to drip on to, making a new wick so to speak?? Or would the cart mod work with out the bridge/mesh in place? I would have to agree, the stainless steel would be best to use.

Glenn54

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2009
New York
I just read about and tried the "recover your atty" thread, by removing the mesh/bridge and cleaning the coils, now I have a few atty's that work again, but the coils are "naked" and wondered if anyone has tried putting these screens into the atty to drip on to, making a new wick so to speak?? Or would the cart mod work with out the bridge/mesh in place? I would have to agree, the stainless steel would be best to use.

I would think dripping is your only option after removing the wick.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/cartridge-mods/58614-my-first-cart-mod-901-a.html

maybe at some point I'll break even, I hope!

Last edited:

KarrMcDebt

ECF Veteran
Nov 30, 2009
Corvallis, Oregon, United States
I have been meaning to try this mod for a while, but since I don't frequent the local smoke shop anymore, I kept forgeting to pick up the screens.

I finaly remembered when I needed to pick up Hooka charcoal.

My first try was on a 901. Super easy and successfull on the first try.
My second attempt was on the 510 and was a bit more difficult. Took a couple of trys to get it so it wouldn't flood the atty. (had to add an extra layer of screen and make sure there were no gaps arround the edge.)

I looked at my M401 carts for about a second and rejected the idea. They are just to small. Other than for dipping I cant figure out why people rave about the M40X. With only like 4 drops in a cart, I have to fill it twice or more to get my nic fix.

Thanks so much, I had a flavor that seemed to go bad after a couple days, (amaretto) but with the brass screen mod I'm back to enjoying that lemon almond flavor!

JamBandPhan

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
OR
Wow!:thumb:
I decided to try this cart mod, only instead of pushing the screen all the way in, I let it stick out about 1/8in. so it would reach the exposed coils in my recently recovered, bridge less atty. I was able to get about 15 good sized drops of VG juice to soak into the 510 cart/screen and inserted it into the atty, and started puffing. I expected to get about 30-40 puffs, but what I got was 109 billowing, tasty puffs before it started to taste dry (burned)! :D I would usually get maybe 8-10 puffs for every 3-4 drops I dripped into the atty, so these results were amazing! I did get a little dry taste durring the test,so gave the cart a little thump at hits 36, 64, 89, 102 and it kept on going till I got to puff 109, 110 when it was just tasting bad even though I was still getting some vapor, so I considered the test over. I used 2 instead of 3 stainless steel screens the size of a quarter. The mesh seemed to be tighter than the ones pictured at the beginning of the thread so I went with 2. Also the steel screens are a bit stiff to work with, when it comes to shaping them. I used a philips head screw driver to shape the screen around, and a pair of needle nose pliers to help scruch down the sides to get it to the right shape. I will give this mod more testing to see how it handles longer term use instead of just chain vaping, like I did to test it today. I don't know if there will be any problems with flooding or leaking if I use it more sparingly through out the day, but I did not see any liquid leaking out while I was testing it. I imagine that the cart should be kept pointing down or removed when not in use in case it slowly floods the atty, but we will have to see if that will even be an issue. This was a great find, and I thank ya'll for posting this wonderful information.

jambandphan03-albums-screen-mod-picture4993-dscn0414.jpg

Last edited:

savagemyth

ECF Veteran
I want to thank everyone for this mod, it inspired me to invent what I think will be the next great mod that can utilize the screen mod to it's fullest. Keep watch on the cartridge mod page for my brand spanking new "ultimate mega juice tank 3ml mod using all those broken 801's you've got laying around" lol and holy crap it works. I think you're gonna love this!

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I want to thank everyone for this mod, it inspired me to invent what I think will be the next great mod that can utilize the screen mod to it's fullest. Keep watch on the cartridge mod page for my brand spanking new "ultimate mega juice tank 3ml mod using all those broken 801's you've got laying around" lol and holy crap it works. I think you're gonna love this!
I'm glad I have two BE112 atomizers laying around that I thought I'd never use again.
:D

savagemyth

ECF Veteran
I'm glad I have two BE112 atomizers laying around that I thought I'd never use again.
:D

well, got the mod done and tested - the vape was over the top for me, like smoking analogs again (!) and photoshopped a 10 picture illustration of the project. Trouble is, I'm not able to start a new thread since i've only been lurking, not posting the last year or two. Can anyone help me out? It should be titled "3ml juice tank mod for all-day vaping!" or something like that. Here's a preview, i'm posting at the end of this thread because this is the next level of the screen mod!!

You can find this thread here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/cartridge-mods/73384-ultimate-mod-3ml-juice-tank-801-a.html

Last edited:

JamBandPhan

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
OR
day 2 of using my version of the screen mod. I have found that it is difficult to get more than 10-15 drops to soak through 2 screens put together with out it oozing around the sides, so I decided to try one screen (stainless steel with a fine mesh) and got about 30 drops into my 510 cart, and now testing to see if it floods or has any other leak issues. So far the only problem I had was that I didn't push this one into the cart quite enough, and it was pushing into the coil, heating up the screen/cart, so I just gave it another little push into the cart a wee bit more, and it seems to be working great! I will continue using this cart for the rest of the night, to see if any other problems arise. I will be glad if it only takes one screen to make this work, as it will cut down on prep time, and I won't use up so many screens on my other carts. I have several 510 atty's that I removed the bridge and recovered from doom, so this is a big score, making this mod work, as far as I am concerned.

JamBandPhan

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
OR
So in order for my boyfriend to use this mod with his PG juice that is much thinner than my VG, I decided to test out adding some blue foam inside the screen, to help keep the juice from leaking out too quickly for him, and then I put some in my own mod as well. I think this is a good step, it should be as easy to clean as just the screen alone, just rinse it with the screen in place and shake dry, when you need to clean it. It seems to be working pretty good so far.

I can see why this would go against the whole point of the original version of the screen mod, because it was meant to replace the sponge fillers, but since I am using this mod to replace my wicking system that I removed in order to clean my atty coils, I decided to combine the two, which allows the sponge to help hold the liquid, while the screen protects the sponge from burning up in the coils. I simply inserted the sponge into the screen, then inserted them into the cart together.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread