Brass Screen Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

iokke

Jan 28, 2010
Awesome mod flavor wise on the 510.. It sounds silly but I like the flavor more than with ZFM H-plugs and o-plugs (which are great too though if you fit straw not to get leaks). There is no filler there either so I do not know why, but this mod seems to taste better. I used the OP's method for making the plugs between.

Anyhow i have refilling problems, g2 take them out, with both brass and silver screens. I understand that some people got it to the point that they can just refil by dripping another 12-20 drops into cartridge.

Should I buy more and keep trying till i hit that perfect one? I love the mod but if i cant refill without taking screens out... too much of pain

I have 2 other questions though, i did my best to read through 20 pages of this forum but did not seem to find a definite answer, sorry if i missed em:

Are silver screens same as solid solid steel? (which would be safe right?)

Did yall ever figure out if brass is safe or should I stick to silver to be safer? ( Since some ppl said it is and others said go stainless still).

p.s.
brass really does lead to a lot less heat, silver screens heat up same as if you used regular filling for me. Again the taste is amazing!!

Last edited:

AmyB66

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
In A Padded Cell
Thank you to the OP!

I want no nonsense stuff. I messed around and finally figured out the regular fluval only to read further that I should be using the pads. aarrgh. Worked okay but if that fluval dries up at the end, ick!

Been washing and re-using the regular poly fill stuff. Fine, but topping off is a pain, especially at work or in the car.

Figured what the heck, stopped at my local tobacco place and bought three packs of screens (now I wish I bought more!) Filled up the cart, had to cram the three screens into my flat tip 510 carts and thought, "this is gonna be a mess" No leaks, no nothing. Perfect aside from some random gurgling, perfect. I love this no muss no fuss approach. Someone needs to give you a medal or something! I'll see how it goes refilling without removing latter. So far, I have been vaping away, already had to recharge a 510 battery and still no need to refill.

I fell back into my analogs a bit more over the last week. Running like mad and no time or patience for fussing with carts. This mod might just be what I needed to get over that hill.

I am thinking you are spot on with the VG. I have been vaping halo's harley 56, the halo is thinner than my vg/pg TV flavors. I might try that trick with a teeny piece of foam just to stop the gurgle. Then again, this is a nice excuse to buy some new juice flavors!

AmyB66

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
In A Padded Cell
I am not cutting down, I use the bigger screens on the outside. It seems to get kinda bunched up once you cram them in but that's okay.

I've been using the same screen in one of my carts since I posted on the fourth. Still no problem.

Dripping without removing it is only good for a fast fix, best removal tool and insertion tool is a pair of very fine point tweezers. I can lift it out with the tip of the tweezer in a second without damaging the screen. Just slip the one of the tweezer ends on the edge and it will get stuck in the screen, lift, refill, stick back in.

It took me a bit to master the amount of juice etc but I am hooked on this mod. No more burn, no more washing cart filler or messing with replacements.

I am editing to add that you can buy ss pipe screens, that will be my next purchase, pack of 100 for around 8 bucks.

Last edited:

AmyB66

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
In A Padded Cell
so do normal screens work or do they need to be stainless? everyplace sells normal screens.

Haven't gotten around to ordering ss screens. Still using the brass ones I get at the bacco shop. Just a five pack. Sometimes I just get it folded wrong, but once you get a few good ones, they seem to last for a long while. Just get a pair of tweezers with the super fine sliver points, this has become a great all round tool.

I've tried making my own zfm and the fluval, the straw thing but I keep going back to this. Occassional flooding but more with higher pg liquids.

My screens usually slide up some, don't really ''wick'' but that isn't a big deal, they really act like a slow auto drip.

dhowardpeters

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Just wondered if everyone has seen this thread: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/cartridge-mods/70962-my-simple-cart-mod.html? I've been using it on my 510s, 901s, and even on my super-mini (RN4081), and it works great. You may not get as good a flavor as the brass screen mod provides (though flavor might be improved because the poly doesn't dry out on the atty end until the cart is past bone dry), but you sure do get the increased liquid capacity and it could not be any easier (no materials to buy-only scissors needed).

Haven't gotten around to ordering ss screens. Still using the brass ones I get at the bacco shop. Just a five pack. Sometimes I just get it folded wrong, but once you get a few good ones, they seem to last for a long while. Just get a pair of tweezers with the super fine sliver points, this has become a great all round tool.

I've tried making my own zfm and the fluval, the straw thing but I keep going back to this. Occassional flooding but more with higher pg liquids.

My screens usually slide up some, don't really ''wick'' but that isn't a big deal, they really act like a slow auto drip.

marlando

Mar 21, 2010
here
i lack the post count to do a new thread or a poll, so i was wondering what people's opinions are on the brass screen mod vs. the pen spring cart mod. i'm using the pen spring mod right now and it seems to be working fairly well, but the vapor production might be a little less because the damn wick in my atomizer got burnt before i found out about it. i was wondering if the brass screen mod might allow a little more fluid out than the pen spring mod or the other filler material mods.

Payne

Jan 18, 2010
Pa
Finally got around to trying this mod today. Stopped by my local tobacco shop and picked up 3 packs of screens. To my surprise each pack contained 12 screens, (6) 1/2" and (6) 3/4". Good bargain for $.30 a pack. Tried it on 3 different carts and so far so good. Not one leak or flooded atty. Refilling seems to be the only snag but I can deal with it. So far this seems to be the best mod I've tried. I'm using the original posted method with (3) 1/2" screens on a 510.

smokmonstr

Mar 3, 2010
ATL
I've been playing around with all of the different mods, and haven't been satisfied. I got some stainless screens a few weeks ago but couldn't decide how to use them. The screens would always move further into the cart when I tried, and there seemed to be no good method for refilling.

Yesterday I found these black pop in led holders at Radio Shack and they fit nicely onto the end of the cart. Catalog #: 276-079
These also reduce the opening which acts sort of like a ZFM
My only problem was some leaking around the edges. So right now I am wrapping them with teflon plumbers tape to make a good seal. I tried a sort of O ring but everything I had was too big.

I have fit two layers of screen into the plug and punched a hole through them ahead of time to increase flow a bit and aid in refilling. This seems to work pretty good so far.
What I love about this is that it is solid and removable. Once it is assembled I don't need tweezers or anything. I can stick a needle through the hole and refill from the bottom up. I can also take it off and look to see what is left in the cart without worrying that I am upsetting the delicate balance of air/juice flow.

I'm pretty new around here and I don't think I can start any threads yet, but I thought some of you might be interested in these plastic inserts. They are 5 for $1.50 I think.

groovy

Jan 24, 2010
se mi
Here's a thought on what might be causing the green stuff on the brass......... Dissimilar metals in contact with anything acidic create electricity (electrolysis) and corrosion of the metals is a direct result (oxide). Verdigris is formed on brass screens that stay wet in our steel attys for extended periods. Other metals are also present such a nicrome alloy heating elements and the strange mesh on the bridge.

Stainless screens are probably a much safer bet because they will resist corrosion much longer than brass. That is not to say that they won't be affected, it will just take longer and wont be as noticeable. Stainless is an alloy made up primarily of chrome and nickel. Each grade has different ratios of the two metals. Stainless will corrode....just not as much as much or as quickly as brass. my $0.02

BTW......Great Mod! :thumbs:

camel522

Apr 22, 2010
Mine Hill, NJ
Amazon sells both brass and stainless steel screens in packs of 100 for a few bucks. Don't waste money buying 5 at a time from a smoke shop, and don't fret over green residue, just throw it out and make another (I haven't seen any green on mine yet)!

I was reading people commenting on how brass is bad and gives off fumes, etc., but I have to say, these are PIPE screens, meaning they are beneath smoldering flame, constantly being stoked by the smoker puffing--if brass were that dangerous, I think more grandpas out there with their pipes would be suffering the side effects. If the cherry in a tobacco pipe can't burn hot enough to affect the brass, why would a wet screen wicking into metal foil and a wick be hot enough to create the fumes?

I don't know, I could be wrong, but hey, I think it's a solid point!

camel522

Apr 22, 2010
Mine Hill, NJ
Possible improvement (although I haven't read every page in the thread):

To aid in getting the proper shape of the screen, you can put the screens on top of the open end of one of the silicone caps and then push the cart down on top. Pull the screen out of the cap, then squeeze the sides in just a tiny bit to reduce its size. Slide it in and it fits pretty snug inside the cartridge, so you don't have to worry about juice dripping out around the edges and flooding the atty. One push into the atty and it even gives it a little dimple, which helps improve the overall area touching the bridge.

I hope I'm not repeating anyone else's post, so I apologize if I have. If not, try it out and see what you think.

P.S. I'm not sure how this works with stainless steel, haven't tried it yet but I have a feeling the steel will be too strong and compress the silicone cap instead of pushing the screen into it.

maja

Jun 1, 2010
liverpool
Argh!

I love these, made half a dozen "rose" type ones for my 510 carts and now a few days later I also noticed some of them going green!!!

What's the deal, are we doing this anyway? How bad can it be?

I went into this assuming the screens were made for "smoking", so nothing bad could happen with vaping them, but obviously the material is not inert in PG...

What are others doing? Is there a special (i.e. more expensive) screen out there? Because the wicking, the taste, everything about this is great!

Help please!

Murdock Ruml

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2010
Alaska
i don't have any brass screen laying around, but i do have tones of pyramid tea bags. so i though hey, what the hell. this tea bag looks like screen. so i layered like 5 teabags, cut it down to size. filled my 510 mega cart, plugged it with my PTB cone. the tea bags sucked up some juice. i flipped over the cart to look for leaks, none. placed it on my atty. and slowly took a drag, expecting a mouthful of juice. got none, took like 10 good puffs, great flavor. stopped to let the atty cool, mostly out of habit because the atty was not as hot a usual. later checked to for leakage before starting to vape again, didn't see any. continued to vape great flavour. the filled cart lasted me about half of the battery life of my 510 mega. i usually get about 4 hours of bat life from my 510 mega. has anyone tried this using PTB instaed of brass screen. if not i would suggest it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread