Deeming Regulations have been released!!!!

BigPappa

Ultra Member
Sep 21, 2019
Fort Myers, FL
The others we can refer to as "cowboys"

When the vaping disease was big in the news I saw pictures of unlicensed weed shops in LA. There were blocks where every other shop was a weed shop. Sometimes there was no parking so you just pull up and they bring it out to you. Some of them had been around for a long time, others popped up for a few days and then moved down the street under a different name. Regs are one thing, enforcement is another. The cowboys don't care that much about the occasional rap on the knuckles. In the real world their alternative is likely $7 an hour selling sandwiches. If there's a demand for nic vapes someone will figure out how to meet it.

Easier in a big city though. A bit harder to pull off in a small town.
Great, I will just put on my sunglasses and a hat and then shamefully scurry down to the street corner to get my strawberry shortcake e-liquid from the prison tatted neighborhood gang member. lmao

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I have to admit, if I were a vape store owner, I'd be like consulting the bankruptcy lawyers right now about how the hell to get out and how many years it was gonna like, take until I could move out of my one bedroom apartment.

Oh, if it's Armageddon, maybe something else. But just Government as Usual. I would hate to be the poster boy for THAT. That is like jail time and stuff and well, I don't MAKE a good poster.

In fact, I got yelled at in middle school during a group project to make a poster for not keeping my letters "even" and it was very traumatic.

I am afraid I will wait until I have nothing left to lose before I pull out my flaming sword of justice. I mean…. the politicians EAT you and then make sure your children have to enter the coal mining industry,.

The government cares very little about me, I am FAR from a vigilante.

This type of thought stops a lot of change. l know not only would *I* lose, so many people are GOING to lose, before something happens.

Course given the first time I read the NJOY "Vape everywhere and here's how" card, I knew vaping was doomed. I was like, ,"NO society will not STAND for this, not after a while,"

I'm actually shocked at how long it is TAKING,

Sigh.

No good answers.

Anna

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    ..and well, I don't MAKE a good poster..
    Oh but you are a good poster here. I'd guesstimate that at least 95% of your posts are interesting and hilarious! :cool::w00t::cool:

dreamvaper

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 20, 2018
    UK
    at least 95% of your posts are interesting and hilarious

also we are absolutely short on smileys here to react on many on them,
    we need a full line of
    shocked-face-with-exploding-head_1f92f.png
    smileys with different face impressions just to cover Anna's posts :2cool:

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    Well that doesn't make sense... for example: what if it is sold in a convenience store? Does that mean all of their other products are regarded as tobacco products?

It is a governmental agency, I expect inconsistency as well as the heights of stupidity.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    I agree, intimidation is one of the governments most powerful weapons.
    It baffles me that people allow themselves to be intimidated by the threat of a letter from the FDA.

Let's get real about this; the FDA always starts with a letter, something to the effect of: "You're in violation of [whatever regulation]; continued violation may result in fines."

Yes, if one keeps ignoring them long enough, eventually they'll send in the JBTs, but that's not how it starts, and the threat of a letter wouldn't have me closing my business. I'd make 'em send in the JBTs, because it costs them more, and it illustrates to the public that in the end, all laws and regulations are indeed death threats.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    My experience with very small business owners, one or two shops, is that they lack the sophistication that you have acquired. They fear legal fees and generally can't tell the competent lawyers from the incompetent, (often not easy to do). They often have their entire wealth, outside of the home which may have a second, tied up in the business and can't afford the risk of fines or a vigorous legal defense. Their budget does not include a line item for legal fees. The old adage that you can't fight city hall is deeply ingrained in people. I have great sympathy for those who are the targets of the "ABC's" or any government enforcement entity as they begin to set an example.

I knew a local bar owner targeted for pure harassment by the local constabulary, coming in with swagger, thumbs in belts, staring at the customers, setting up a "check point" about 100 feet from the door, generally drying up business in any way possible. Pure intimidation without a justifiable purpose. His mountain back got up and did not lie down but it was rather costly. Low and behold, he found competent counsel right there in his customer base but complementary booze was insufficient compensation.

It baffles me that people allow themselves to be intimidated by the threat of a letter from the FDA.

Let's get real about this; the FDA always starts with a letter, something to the effect of: "You're in violation of [whatever regulation]; continued violation may result in fines."

Yes, if one keeps ignoring them long enough, eventually they'll send in the JBTs, but that's not how it starts, and the threat of a letter wouldn't have me closing my business. I'd make 'em send in the JBTs, because it costs them more, and it illustrates to the public that in the end, all laws and regulations are indeed death threats.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY

BigPappa

Ultra Member
    Sep 21, 2019
    Fort Myers, FL

Don29palms

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca

Ceejay0875

ECF Veteran
    May 24, 2016
    IMHO that store should never be able to sell any tobacco products of any kind ever again. The employees that caused the violations should be fired immediately.
    Right after high school, I was a cashier at a Meijer, and that is exactly what they did if we were caught selling to someone underage, both tobacco and alcohol.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL

I usually agree with you, but not at all on this one. I couldn't continue in a business that could so easily be wiped out by whim of a government interpretation, or choice of enforcement. I won't base my future on my ability to illustrate something to the public. Get into a pi$$ing contest with the government over who can spend more, you'll lose most often.

I own a business. Nothing huge, but I do ok. I did nothing wrong at all, but was forced into 2 separate legal actions between 2015-18. It cost me about $250K. A decent attorney costs over $300/hr., and once the legal ball starts rolling, you usually don't have control any more- you're in or you're out. In neither case did it seem at first that it would go on as long, or cost as much as it did. It didn't bankrupt me (would have when I was younger), but was and is extremely painful. I can't imagine that many mom & pop vape shops could sustain something like that, or would even entertain the idea of feeding their families from livelihood built on a house of cards.

Last edited:

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    I usually agree with you, but not at all on this one. I couldn't continue in a business that could so easily be wiped out by whim of a government interpretation, or choice of enforcement. I won't base my future on my ability to illustrate something to the public. Get into a pi$$ing contest with the government over who can spend more, you'll lose most often.

I own a business. Nothing huge, but I do ok. I did nothing wrong at all, but was forced into 2 separate legal actions between 2015-18. It cost me about $250K. A decent attorney costs over $300K/hr., and once the legal ball starts rolling, you usually don't have control any more- you're in or you're out. In neither case did it seem at first that it would go on as long, or cost as much as it did. It didn't bankrupt me (would have when I was younger), but was and is extremely painful. I can't imagine that many mom & pop vape shops could sustain something like that, or would even entertain the idea of feeding their families from livelihood built on a house of cards.
    I believe there will be some vape shops who carry on in an environment of light enforcement. Let's face it, there is always someone out there looking to make a buck. However, I also believe most shops will wave the white flag for the reasons you raise. Operating under an illegal storm cloud is not a comfortable way to live. You never know when you might step on a landmine.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    I believe there will be some vape shops who carry on in an environment of light enforcement. Let's face it, there is always someone out there looking to make a buck. However, I also believe most shops will wave the white flag for the reasons you raise. Operating under an illegal storm cloud is not a comfortable way to live. You never know when you might step on a landmine.
    Yeah, I'm sure many- maybe even most, will just stay in it until they can't, especially if they don't have any other ideas or options. Sure would be tough mentally, though - knowing they could kill your business at any moment. I couldn't live that way.

Users who are viewing this thread