Deeming Regulations have been released!!!!

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I think that although it must be submitted to congress by the FDA, congress doesn't have to act on it, and it would go into effect if they don't. If Congress votes to trash it, the President can sign or veto Congress' action.

That is How I Understand it Also.

And it could Also get passed to Congress for a Rubber Stamping, Hit the President Desk for a quick John Hancock and then be Off to the Federal Registry lickety-split.

Reactions: Hulamoon

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
So basically we do business with the cartels now, you pay our price or don't do business here ? so they have unlimited funding for agency appointed watchdogs over the industry in 24 - 36 months - 5 years, irregardless of the application fees ? where do they get the money for that ?
You don't see anything corrupt about this ?[/QUOTWell I guess El Chapo needs some kinda product, since they're making the previous one legal......

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Played poker with friends tonight. Long time friends. I always vape at poker, am the only one that does, never been an issue. Wasn't tonight. Chose to not make FDA politics my topic of conversation, but certainly not opposed to discussing it. Just felt it didn't have to come up as open conversation, from me.

My dual using self was out later having a smoke with friend (who rarely smokes, but the occasional flavored cigar), and was talking to him a tiny bit about Final Rule. He was at least moderately curious. Told him, if I find out Trump supports eCigs, I can see me voting for him, which he found interesting (and so do I) and a few puffs later and we were done (discussing).

Later, at the table, one of my poker buddies, also a (cigarette) smoker asks me what I think about the FDA ruling. Most of me was ready to reply all politely about it while holding back oodles of near boiling point anger. Oh, I perhaps should also mention this friend is a highly expressive liberal. Before I say anything, the cigar smoking friend says, oh you don't want to ask Jman, he said he'd vote for Trump. Another buddy, sitting right next to me is like, yeah Jman posted a rant on his Facebook page.

And still this 'friend' has the nerve to say the FDA Ruling is probably a good thing considering how dangerous they are.

That pretty much got on my last nerve.

It's not like he hit on the - no really, those things could be bad for you - point just once or twice.

And it's not like I haven't had umpteen dozen conversations with these guys about all things vaping. But I get if you're non-vaper, you really don't know. They could be deadly for all you know. Yet, if you're a vaper, you kinda sorta know. Or put more correctly, you truly do know about 58 times more than the non-vaper will ever care to know.

Over the course of about an hour, we had a few minor exchanges on the topic, all initiated by him. Sure enough, there was a point where I went off. Curse words flying, passionate, heated debate. It was unpretty, but for sure necessary.

I honestly think the whole thing comes down to he hates Trump that much.

It really felt political for me. That same feeling I've had before where cornerstone of my beliefs was being tortured/poked at, at perhaps exactly the worst time.

I've been a proud non-voter for 2 decades running. But yeah, I would vote this time if Trump gave pretty good indication he favored vaping rights. Would love to hear him saying disparaging remarks, like only Trump can, about the FDA and/or Final Rule. That right there would probably have him convince me that it can't hurt to vote for him.

But we got a long way to go before that, and for me the Trump factor is interesting, but has a good 2% chance of working. I'd love to see that percentage go higher.

Just feels like war to me right now, I guess.

I think it behooves every non-vaper and anti-vaper to not express 'how dangerous eCigs are' while anywhere within 30 feet of a vaper. At least for the next 3 weeks. Especially if we are not the people initiating the discussion. If we live in a truly civilized society, that ought not to happen.

And if it does.....
Light fuse,
And get away.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
That is How I Understand it Also.

And it could Also get passed to Congress for a Rubber Stamping, Hit the President Desk for a quick John Hancock and then be Off to the Federal Registry lickety-split.
As far as I understand, that's unnecessay, and would have the same effect as Congress doing nothing.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
There has been a lot of hang wringing over the FDA's intentions toward things like wire to make coils, ingredients for DIY and so on. I ran across this section. Note that they say "at this time" -

However, at this time, FDA intends to limit enforcement of the premarket authorization provisions to finished tobacco products. In this context, a finished tobacco product refers to a tobacco product, including all components and parts, sealed in final packaging intended for consumer use (e.g., filters or filter tubes sold separately to consumers or as part of kits). For example, an e-liquid sealed in final packaging that is to be sold or distributed to a consumer for use in a finished tobacco product will be subject to enforcement if it is on the market without authorization. In contrast, an e-liquid that is sold or distributed for further manufacturing into a finished ENDS product is not itself a finished tobacco product. At this time, FDA does not intend to enforce the premarket authorization requirements against such eliquids or other components and parts of newly deemed products that are sold or distributed solely for further manufacturing without a marketing order.

Sounds like DIY to me :blink:

Reactions: Katya

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
Is there an inexpensive kit to test the nic level of stored base?

Yes. I got mine off Ebay. I test a bottle that I have had stored for a little more than 5 years now about 2 x per year. Still the same as when I put it there.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
As far as I understand, that's unnecessay, and would have the same effect as Congress doing nothing.

True. Same Effect.

But How Long does Congress have to Do Nothing on this before it reverts to a "Pass"?

Wait for it... Wait for it... 90 Days? LOL.

Reactions: Katya

The Eciginator

Ultra Member
Jul 27, 2015
Yes, some vendors sell them. WizardLabs does. I've never used them. Supposedly, they're not highly accurate, but enough to be fairly useful.

There are many--most nicotine base vendors carry one:

Nude Nicotine Test Kit - HIGH RESOLUTION - Nude Nicotine

Or check the forum for "nicotine titration." Plenty of advice, including from Kurt!

Yes. I got mine off Ebay. I test a bottle that I have had stored for a little more than 5 years now about 2 x per year. Still the same as when I put it there.

Thankies!:D

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Played poker with friends tonight. Long time friends. I always vape at poker, am the only one that does, never been an issue. Wasn't tonight. Chose to not make FDA politics my topic of conversation, but certainly not opposed to discussing it. Just felt it didn't have to come up as open conversation, from me.

My dual using self was out later having a smoke with friend (who rarely smokes, but the occasional flavored cigar), and was talking to him a tiny bit about Final Rule. He was at least moderately curious. Told him, if I find out Trump supports eCigs, I can see me voting for him, which he found interesting (and so do I) and a few puffs later and we were done (discussing).

Later, at the table, one of my poker buddies, also a (cigarette) smoker asks me what I think about the FDA ruling. Most of me was ready to reply all politely about it while holding back oodles of near boiling point anger. Oh, I perhaps should also mention this friend is a highly expressive liberal. Before I say anything, the cigar smoking friend says, oh you don't want to ask Jman, he said he'd vote for Trump. Another buddy, sitting right next to me is like, yeah Jman posted a rant on his Facebook page.

And still this 'friend' has the nerve to say the FDA Ruling is probably a good thing considering how dangerous they are.

That pretty much got on my last nerve.

It's not like he hit on the - no really, those things could be bad for you - point just once or twice.

And it's not like I haven't had umpteen dozen conversations with these guys about all things vaping. But I get if you're non-vaper, you really don't know. They could be deadly for all you know. Yet, if you're a vaper, you kinda sorta know. Or put more correctly, you truly do know about 58 times more than the non-vaper will ever care to know.

Over the course of about an hour, we had a few minor exchanges on the topic, all initiated by him. Sure enough, there was a point where I went off. Curse words flying, passionate, heated debate. It was unpretty, but for sure necessary.

I honestly think the whole thing comes down to he hates Trump that much.

It really felt political for me. That same feeling I've had before where cornerstone of my beliefs was being tortured/poked at, at perhaps exactly the worst time.

I've been a proud non-voter for 2 decades running. But yeah, I would vote this time if Trump gave pretty good indication he favored vaping rights. Would love to hear him saying disparaging remarks, like only Trump can, about the FDA and/or Final Rule. That right there would probably have him convince me that it can't hurt to vote for him.

But we got a long way to go before that, and for me the Trump factor is interesting, but has a good 2% chance of working. I'd love to see that percentage go higher.

Just feels like war to me right now, I guess.

I think it behooves every non-vaper and anti-vaper to not express 'how dangerous eCigs are' while anywhere within 30 feet of a vaper. At least for the next 3 weeks. Especially if we are not the people initiating the discussion. If we live in a truly civilized society, that ought not to happen.

And if it does.....
Light fuse,
And get away.
If Trump takes up the cause, it could help, but it could also hurt.

Sorry you had to go though all that. Shouldn't be this way.

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
So if wrapping my own coils makes me a tobacco manufacturer, am I eligible for fat govt. subsidies?:rolleyes:
Only if you write papers on how terrible coil wraps are, and how they should be banned, and they were tested in a bucket of rocket fuel, and gave off toxic fumes, and think of the children......

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
Hey, was doing some in depth late night reading. Digest this and tell me if you think this means what I think it might mean:

(Comment 26) Many comments stated that a requirement to prepare PMTAs for all of the many parts and components that go into some of the newly deemed tobacco products would create an effective ban of these products.

(Response) The definition of a tobacco product includes components and parts, and these products are subject to the automatic provisions of the FD&C Act, including premarket authorization requirements. However, at this time, FDA intends to limit enforcement of the premarket authorization provisions to finished tobacco products. In this context, a finished tobacco product refers to a tobacco product, including all components and parts, sealed in final packaging intended for consumer use (e.g., filters or filter tubes sold separately to consumers or as part of kits). For example, an e-liquid sealed in final packaging that is to be sold or distributed to a consumer for use in a finished tobacco product will be subject to enforcement if it is on the market without authorization. In contrast, an e-liquid that is sold or distributed for further
manufacturing into a finished ENDS product is not itself a finished tobacco product. At this time, FDA does not intend to enforce the premarket authorization requirements against such eliquids or other components and parts of newly deemed products that are sold or distributed solely for further manufacturing without a marketing order.

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
There has been a lot of hang wringing over the FDA's intentions toward things like wire to make coils, ingredients for DIY and so on. I ran across this section. Note that they say "at this time" -

However, at this time, FDA intends to limit enforcement of the premarket authorization provisions to finished tobacco products. In this context, a finished tobacco product refers to a tobacco product, including all components and parts, sealed in final packaging intended for consumer use (e.g., filters or filter tubes sold separately to consumers or as part of kits). For example, an e-liquid sealed in final packaging that is to be sold or distributed to a consumer for use in a finished tobacco product will be subject to enforcement if it is on the market without authorization. In contrast, an e-liquid that is sold or distributed for further manufacturing into a finished ENDS product is not itself a finished tobacco product. At this time, FDA does not intend to enforce the premarket authorization requirements against such eliquids or other components and parts of newly deemed products that are sold or distributed solely for further manufacturing without a marketing order.

Appears I'm not the only one that stood out to.

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
New Development Verses Currently available models.

I understand that part my wondering is....so, who is overseeing/monitoring thousands of retail vape shops after the 90 day period and over the next 2 years to make sure no new products are entering the market from overseas or that they are not making new eliquid flavors? How is that being implemented?

buffaloguy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2012
Buffalo NY
I think that it would be fairly easy to prove that existing items were offered for sale before the August 8 date. Internet sale pages if nothing else. Old invoices where products were sold, etc.
Well my point is that it does not really matter to the FDA how easy it is to prove. I mean vaping has already proven to be healthier than smoking by users and the FDA completely ignored all legitimate science already.

They can make any device, liquid, or component subject to their whim and whatever proof they seem fit to deem necessary. If nothing else they can force a manufactuer to suspend sales until they make a decision which can take as long as they want... Likely forever.

There are no checks and balances here. All they have to do is drop a ban hammer, for any reason, and its done. Proof of market existence or not.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Thanks for the last part. Appreciate it.

But gotta ask how it would hurt if Trump (or any presidential candidate) took up the cause?
Your liberal friend's reaction is a sign of what could possibly happen if Trump turns vape supporter. I keep seeing people in the media ready to attack things because Trump supports them. Kinda like many people seem to be automatically against anything Obama supports.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I've been wondering today if there is any legal grounds to challenge this as it is actually a ban? I mean, the FDA isn't allowed to ban them right, but effectively they are because the hoops are scientifically impossible to jump through. Just thinking out loud.

I like the way you're thinking. Especially with the highlighted part.

I don't see how science, as we know it, doesn't take a big hit over what we human (vapers) are currently experiencing. IMO, science of the non-FDA variety has to come through for us or science as I understand it, may be a myth. In reality, it already has come through for us. But I mean in a monumental way. The legal, political and economic (black market) fight are all fine and good, but the science aspect of this could change things really fast if science were being vocal and honest. Sure that's vaper spin, but we clearly live in a world where pseudo-scientific propaganda coupled with unplausible denial is allowed to be operating under the umbrella of 'science.'

And if I were practicing scientist, I'd be offended. As human being who understands science, I'm a little more than offended. I'm thinking science takes a huge hit over this if it allows the likes of FDA and CDC to be its only voice.

Users who are viewing this thread