Deeming Regulations have been released!!!!

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
Although the advanced notice of the proposed rule - Federal Register :: Public Inspection: Tobacco Product Standard for Nicotine Level of Combusted Cigarettes - does not make mention of ecigarettes, there is a clause on page 11:
Another possible countervailing effect of setting a maximum nicotine level for cigarettes could be users seeking to add nicotine in liquid or other form to their combusted tobacco product. Therefore, FDA is considering whether any action it might take to reduce nicotine in cigarettes should be paired with a provision that would prohibit the sale or distribution of any tobacco product designed for the purposes of supplementing the nicotine content of the combusted tobacco product (or where the reasonably foreseeable use of the product is for the purposes of supplementing the nicotine content). FDA is also considering other regulatory options to address this concern.

Yep, they're going after the nic in liquid form. Well played.

ImJustAvg

ECF Veteran
Nov 3, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
I wonder what would happen if instead of writing letters ASKING our representatives to support the HR 2058, iF all of a sudden ALL elected officials from the state level to Trump all started receiving millions of emails and letters DEMANDING that they abolish the CORRUPT FDA and FIRE all current employees and start from scratch with a REAL agency that's ONLY mandate is to PROTECT the American people!
The FDA as it stands right now is one of the most corrupt agencies of the Federal Government! They are in the pocket of Big Pharma and now Big Tobacco!
This is one of those items that TRUMP has the duty to do something about! He wants to REDUCE the cost of medicine for healthcare - a good place to start is with a COMPLETE REBOOT OF THE FDA!

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
CONSISTENCY? When the end justifies the means, there is no need for consistency.

I just like consistency. We can argue the rightness and/or wrongness of any issue but when we're inconsistent then there is no starting point for debate. Then nothing gets solved.

If it is wrong for someone to say kids should not be used to advance the anti-vape agenda then it should be wrong to use kids to advance an issue like we saw yesterday. We can't say it is OK to use kids as props only when we agree with the side they are being exploited by. This is my point. I have seen many, many comments on this thread voicing their displeasure with the use of kids to advance the anti-vape narrative. Then it stands they should not be used to advance any ideological narrative. If we can get past this then more constructive efforts to debate the real issues will prevail.

Sadly, Scott is correct though and I'm afraid it is beyond repair.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
This reduction plan is kind of in the middle of good news and bad news. Still not sure where it all leads to or ends up.

The ANPRM wasn't exactly Big News to those who follow the FDA.

But I think what was a Subtle shift were the Two Words used before the word "e-Cigarette" in the Reuters article I quoted.

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Wasn't that Kinda a given right from the Get Go?

At least someone is Talking about Black Markets (Top of Page #12 in your Link) as a Result of Regulations.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX

That is good news IMHO. It sounds like he is willing to not only allow but suggest that current smokers switch to ecigs and that he wants to encourage innovation in this market to make them as safe as possible. That combined with a nic reduction in combustibles should help strengthen the vaping market.

One thing I would consider doing for combustibles if I were them, would be to make it so anyone born after 2000 cannot legally buy combustible cigarettes. This would mean that if you were not 18 when the law went into effect that you would never be able to buy them legally. It would also "grandfather in" anyone that was already a legal addicted smoker. I know some people beg, borrow and steal them at younger ages, and get "addicted", but it shouldn't be as strong of an addiction as someone that has been smoking regularly for years, thus it should be an easier habit to break. That combined with leaving ecig's legal purchase age at 18 should curb any NEW consumers of combustibles.

This is where prohibition of alcohol failed, they tried to cut off the addicts all at once and no possible alternative. If they had just grandfathered in anyone already of legal age at the time, alcoholism might not exist today.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
The ANPRM wasn't exactly Big News to those who the FDA.

But I think what was a Subtle shift were the Two Words used before the word "e-Cigarette" in the Reuters article I quoted.
I take that as the author's opinion.

My concern is that this is an end around that makes the deeming almost a moot point. Limiting "combustible" tobacco will garner much broader support while the mention of nicotine liquid regulation will go unnoticed by many.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

One thing I would consider doing for combustibles if I were them, would be to make it so anyone born after 2000 cannot legally buy combustible cigarettes. This would mean that if you were not 18 when the law went into effect that you would never be able to buy them legally. It would also "grandfather in" anyone that was already a legal addicted smoker. ...

That, for Good - Bad - Or Indifferent, is just Never Going to Happen.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Although the advanced notice of the proposed rule - Federal Register :: Public Inspection: Tobacco Product Standard for Nicotine Level of Combusted Cigarettes - does not make mention of ecigarettes, there is a clause on page 11:

Not necessarily, they are looking to see what might be added to a combustible to add nicotine to it. I can't imagine people water logging a combustible with PG infused with nic. It is more likely they will just smoke more, thus getting more of the tar, carbon monoxide, etc. However, if they actually make a proposal banning or restricting the nic we use to DIY, you can bet your ... I will be buying a lifetime supply for the wife and I before they are actually implemented.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
There will be no anti corruption measures. There will be no logical analysis. None of that is going to happen.

I kind of think that Trump knows of a vaccine or something to cure baldness, in the Mexioco or somewhere, and he wants it... I do not believe his claim of "allowing in" "life saving medications" from other countries, although if it were true, I would probably applaud that.

If creating a black market is going to be a thing... again... Well I will be able to participate in it to the best of my ability. Kind of felt it was going to come for smoking, but I can't believe I actually QUIT SMOKING and am now still facing this madness, although there's no sense demonizing one without the other.

If the goal is to create instability in as many areas as possible, the USA sure seems to be making progress, both internally and externally. Sigh.

Anna

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I take that as the author's opinion.

The Shift is, IMO, seeing it be Openly Printed by a Mainstream Media Outlet.

My concern is that this is an end around that makes the deeming almost a moot point. Limiting "combustible" tobacco will garner much broader support while the mention of nicotine liquid regulation will go unnoticed by many.

Deeming is still Fundamental in that it Grants the FDA Authority to Regulate e-Cigarettes/e-Liquids.

Now just How they are Regulated is really where we are today.

ETA: I could Envision something Similar to what the UK has done implemented in USA under the Current FDA.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I am going to start pricing one of these to keep my 100mg nicotine reserves..."on tap" (15.5gallons baby!):

ec6b22ee4755ffdd16a61a447428c386.jpg

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
"We" didn't survive, at least on this continent. The Native Americans were the ones who were using the leaf, and mostly in ceremonies although I am going to bet that there were a few tobacco hounds among the bunch. I mean...

Also, back in olden times, like caveman times, my ability to metabolize vast amounts of "fermented" fruits and berries without getting sick was probably an ASSET. I'd be nicely fed, AND having a fantastic time. Etc.

So no, I think these things probably have their roots from long ago and far away, it's just the industrialized society's way of "commodifying" things and "modifying them."

I bet once, there was barely any nicotine and certainly not much else harmful about the plant, not in the same way as things are today.

Overfocus on anything will make it worse, but "addictive" spells money: to drug manufacturers, to big tobacco, and to politics.

Anna

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
This proposed rule would justify limiting access to liquid nic based on it's potential to enhance a combustible without the deeming coming in to play.

As we battle the deeming issue they can throttle nic availability on that basis. Game over.

Should we as vapers fight that proposed combustibles rule we end up being lumped together with the cigarette makers, an unpopular and likely negative association we do not want.

Users who are viewing this thread