Deeming Regulations have been released!!!!

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
Wow. Well the tone of this thread seems to indicate that expert opinion is now that change is a commin'.

I use an EGO clone and so if they hit batteries I will be toasted once they die, then?

I am expecting that I can pursue alternatives with the experts here. Treating me as a newbie, never having vaped and my EGO is outlawed, how long should it take for me to get a workaround mod system do you think?

Should I stockpile a single set of batteries and freeze them? That way I can have time to implement the workaround mod?
First, ALWAYS have a backup mod. Get another Ego now if you dont have one. You might also consider an iStick that takes a 18650 battery, those batteries will be around forever, too many mainstream non-vape consumption uses of them.

If the shinola hits the fan, we will see it coming in time for people to obtain alternatives.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Should I stockpile a single set of batteries and freeze them? That way I can have time to implement the workaround mod?
Personally I would not stockpile much in the way of batteries. Li-ion batteries degrade with age, even if they're stored under optimal conditions. Exactly how much they degrade with age and whether this degradation is linear with time is the subject of some debate and uncertainty.

IMO, finding a power source is probably the least of one's worries when it comes to being able to vape in the future.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Mmkay. Well at this point Gov isn't poised to outlaw juice? Or have I missed this?
Well, if it wasn't for the current administration's 4-year delay of the PMTA requirement, yes, pretty much all commercial juice would technically be outlawed as of this coming August.

HBcorpse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Car batteries are lead-acid chemistry, not lithium-ion. ;)

True, but a majority of electric cars and hybrids use lithium-ion.

And if you think that we would strictly cover car batteries in a course related to my degree, you’d be mistaken.

The course covered everything theories on electricity, battery chemistry, etc.

I knew I’d catch summa-ya old timers on this one!
:wink:

Reactions: stols001

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
True, but a majority of electric cars and hybrids use lithium-ion.
Li-ion batteries are pretty new phenomenon in cars. IIRC, the first electric car to use Li-ion was the Tesla Roadster, about 10 years ago. Prior to that, they all used NiCad or NiMH. With over 6 million sold, I'm confident the Prius is by far the most-produced hybrid, and it used NiMH until very recently.

And of course, cars never get left to sit out in ambient temperatures equivalent to those you'd find in a home freezer, right?

Of course, we digress... But the bottom line is: You won't harm a Li-ion battery by exposing it to home freezer temperatures. The real question is whether storing them at those temperatures would be beneficial. The consensus is that it isn't. Also, it's a bad idea to charge them when they're that cold.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Aha, commercial meaning all but "juice bootleggers"?

That may be the eventual result, yes. Or limited to no or only a few flavors, and limited nic options.

Why many of us have gone DIY already, with a lot of high % nic in the freezer.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Yep. I didn't trust the old FDA, OR the new FDA. I started stocking up on nicotine and flavors early and often.

And gear. Because honestly, vaping menthol or tobacco in a closed, weak pod system is kinda my version of vaping "hell" and etc.

Anna
Yep I believe the best we can hope for is they're going to tax the hell out of anything vape related. Not a day goes by that I'm not thankful I stockpiled. Sadly I do believe flavor bans will be coming soon I hope the juice company's though have the foresight to sell flavor shots and label them for dessert.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Yep. I didn't trust the old FDA, OR the new FDA. I started stocking up on nicotine and flavors early and often.

And gear. Because honestly, vaping menthol or tobacco in a closed, weak pod system is kinda my version of vaping "hell" and etc.

Anna

I’m wondering if at some point sooner than later I should start learning about mechanical mods for when all my regulated ones eventually kick the bucket and we may not be able buy them anymore.

fWIW I’m at 9 reg mods 4 months in of vaping lol!

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
I’m wondering if at some point sooner than later I should start learning about mechanical mods for when all my regulated ones eventually kick the bucket and we may not be able buy them anymore.

fWIW I’m at 9 reg mods 4 months in of vaping lol!
Best advice is to learn and have a few good quality Mech's in your stash.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Best advice is to learn and have a few good quality Mech's in your stash.

Thanks. That’s the way I’m leaning. However I know absolutely zilch about them so will definitely need to start researching. And soon.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Thanks. That’s the way I’m leaning. However I know absolutely zilch about them so will definitely need to start researching. And soon.
I was the same way, I did my homework then tried it. Low and behold I'm now 99.99% Mech now for I love them. Anyway as long as you do your homework and stick to the simple but very important rules you're fine. Actually I feel safer with Mechs than regulated for I'm responsible for my safety and not some chipset mass produced by slave labor ya know ;)

Anyway do your homework, buy quality (which doesn't always mean expensive) and you'll be more than fine. Hell you'll probably enjoy them ;)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I have a couple in "our" stash, and old and gorgeous mechanical piece of artwork and the Noisy Cricket, I don't plan on vaping them in the near future (unless I get all creative one day or something) but I'm glad to have them.

I think it's a fair idea, lots of good mechs (and clones) about for reasonable prices it may be worth it for your piece of mind....

Anna

Users who are viewing this thread