The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Deeming Regulations have been released!!!!

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by Oliver, May 5, 2016.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. HBcorpse

HBcorpse Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 23, 2013
    True, but a majority of electric cars and hybrids use lithium-ion.

And if you think that we would strictly cover car batteries in a course related to my degree, you’d be mistaken.

The course covered everything theories on electricity, battery chemistry, etc.

I knew I’d catch summa-ya old timers on this one!
    :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Li-ion batteries are pretty new phenomenon in cars. IIRC, the first electric car to use Li-ion was the Tesla Roadster, about 10 years ago. Prior to that, they all used NiCad or NiMH. With over 6 million sold, I'm confident the Prius is by far the most-produced hybrid, and it used NiMH until very recently.

And of course, cars never get left to sit out in ambient temperatures equivalent to those you'd find in a home freezer, right?

Of course, we digress... But the bottom line is: You won't harm a Li-ion battery by exposing it to home freezer temperatures. The real question is whether storing them at those temperatures would be beneficial. The consensus is that it isn't. Also, it's a bad idea to charge them when they're that cold.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Kent C

Kent C ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 12, 2009
    NW Ohio US
    • Like Like x 5
  4. DavidOck

DavidOck ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    That may be the eventual result, yes. Or limited to no or only a few flavors, and limited nic options.

Why many of us have gone DIY already, with a lot of high % nic in the freezer.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Yep. I didn't trust the old FDA, OR the new FDA. I started stocking up on nicotine and flavors early and often.

And gear. Because honestly, vaping menthol or tobacco in a closed, weak pod system is kinda my version of vaping "hell" and etc.

Anna

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
  7. r055co

r055co Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 24, 2015
    Seattle
    Yep I believe the best we can hope for is they're going to tax the hell out of anything vape related. Not a day goes by that I'm not thankful I stockpiled. Sadly I do believe flavor bans will be coming soon I hope the juice company's though have the foresight to sell flavor shots and label them for dessert.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. gerrymi

gerrymi Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jul 12, 2013
    The 'Burgh, PA.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. puffon

puffon Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 18, 2014
    The Villages, FL
    OT

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Fidola13

Fidola13 Prepper Verified Member

Supporting member
    Dec 20, 2017
    Boston
    I’m wondering if at some point sooner than later I should start learning about mechanical mods for when all my regulated ones eventually kick the bucket and we may not be able buy them anymore.

fWIW I’m at 9 reg mods 4 months in of vaping lol!

• Like Like x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. r055co

Dec 24, 2015
    Seattle
    Best advice is to learn and have a few good quality Mech's in your stash.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Fidola13

Supporting member
    Dec 20, 2017
    Boston
    Thanks. That’s the way I’m leaning. However I know absolutely zilch about them so will definitely need to start researching. And soon.

• Like Like x 3
  13. r055co

Dec 24, 2015
    Seattle
    I was the same way, I did my homework then tried it. Low and behold I'm now 99.99% Mech now for I love them. Anyway as long as you do your homework and stick to the simple but very important rules you're fine. Actually I feel safer with Mechs than regulated for I'm responsible for my safety and not some chipset mass produced by slave labor ya know ;)

Anyway do your homework, buy quality (which doesn't always mean expensive) and you'll be more than fine. Hell you'll probably enjoy them ;)

• Like Like x 5
  14. DavidOck

Supporting member
    Whether or not you use them now, having a couple in the stash is a reasonable precaution.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  15. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I have a couple in "our" stash, and old and gorgeous mechanical piece of artwork and the Noisy Cricket, I don't plan on vaping them in the near future (unless I get all creative one day or something) but I'm glad to have them.

I think it's a fair idea, lots of good mechs (and clones) about for reasonable prices it may be worth it for your piece of mind....

Anna

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Fidola13

Supporting member
    Dec 20, 2017
    Boston
    Are there any specific brands that come to mind when speaking of “good” mechs that most would agree on? That would help narrow down my research quite a bit.

And it will definitely give me peace of mind because I worry. A lot.

Thanks all!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Rossum

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    What's your vaping style? MTL? DTL? What kind of atty are you currently using? What wattage are you currently running? How much juice do you go through per day?

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Fidola13

Supporting member
    Dec 20, 2017
    Boston
    I vape DTL usually using a .4 or .25 coil at about 60ish watts. I go through about 25mgs per day and I have several attys but use mostly the Cascade and planning on using the OBS engine nano soon.

Thanks so much @Rossum :)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Rossum

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    60 watts is approaching the limits of a single-cell mech, at least for something a person is looking to vape on all day long rather than just a few pulls to show off with. I vape mechanical squonkers all day every day, but I'm strictly MTL at closer to 20 watts than 60, so I'm probably not the best person to provide specific product advice for you. :oops:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. DavidOck

Supporting member
    First make a choice on where you want the fire button. Many are on the bottom, some on the side at the bottom and some on the side at the top. What's comfy for you?

And do consider getting either some fuse modules (not all mechs have collapsing safety springs to disconnect the battery) or some Kick modules, which turn a mech into a regulated mod. (But adjustment requires opening up the mech to get access, and not all mechs have room for a Kick without and extension.)

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1