Do We Need To Stock Up Because Of The Ban?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
By shelf life I mean whats on the label.(date)
Properly stored in cool , dark, I'd vape it for 4 yrs and not worry.
Zero head space is great, but I wouldn't open a new bottle to top it off.
Oddly enough a nicotine manufacturer states the shelf life of nicotine as 1 year.
Strange....................

I'd get it while you can. It may be available later, but it won't be as cheap as now no matter what the decision is. I have another 500ml on the way now. The hardware I can fix.

paise

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2009
Kurt:

I ordered 2 sample bottles from a store online called Specialty Bottle (Specialty Bottle - Glass & Plastic Bottles Jars Vials Tins Other Containers). It didn't cost me anything for ordering 2 sample bottles. Both bottles are amber color.

Would it be worth my time and not harm the nic juice or e-liquid if I order more bottles from them, this time actually ordering the bottles - not just the 2 samples offered but actual bottles, then transfer my nic-liquid and e-liquid over to the amber or cobalt blue bottles for storage?

The only place I have for storage is beneath one of my kitchen cabinets or in a little case I have that holds about 3 bottles of wine. It keeps the wine (all but the reds) somewhat chilled. This works out well for me since I prefer Chardonnay, a white wine rather than the red wines like a Chianti. Would storage in a wine fridge be too cool?

Just curious. Actually, I can't purchase much at one time because of finances so I order a little at a time. I have few larger bottles. Would it be okay to combine the nic-liquid (48mg-54mg) in one bottle then seal it using the bottles from Speciality Bottles or just transfer each into a separate bottle of it's own? Generally I can order 20 to 40ml at a time and the 40ml is only when I have extra $$ to order it.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Kurt:

I ordered 2 sample bottles from a store online called Specialty Bottle (Specialty Bottle - Glass & Plastic Bottles Jars Vials Tins Other Containers). It didn't cost me anything for ordering 2 sample bottles. Both bottles are amber color.

Would it be worth my time and not harm the nic juice or e-liquid if I order more bottles from them, this time actually ordering the bottles - not just the 2 samples offered but actual bottles, then transfer my nic-liquid and e-liquid over to the amber or cobalt blue bottles for storage?

The only place I have for storage is beneath one of my kitchen cabinets or in a little case I have that holds about 3 bottles of wine. It keeps the wine (all but the reds) somewhat chilled. This works out well for me since I prefer Chardonnay, a white wine rather than the red wines like a Chianti. Would storage in a wine fridge be too cool?

Just curious. Actually, I can't purchase much at one time because of finances so I order a little at a time. I have few larger bottles. Would it be okay to combine the nic-liquid (48mg-54mg) in one bottle then seal it using the bottles from Speciality Bottles or just transfer each into a separate bottle of it's own? Generally I can order 20 to 40ml at a time and the 40ml is only when I have extra $$ to order it.

paise, this is the company I was thinking of, specifically:

Amber Euro Glass Bottle 50 ml w/ Dropper Cap (Blk) - 18 EURO BLK

I like the euro dropper caps because you can insert a syringe. I'm getting 30 mL and 50 mL amber bottles...I wish the cobalt came with euro dropper cap, but it is only Bostons that I can see.

Unless the amount of liquid in a bottle/jar is more than what you would go through in about a month or so, I would just leave them sealed as is. That's why I am doing 30 mL or 50 mL.

"Would storage in a wine fridge be too cool?"

That would be WAY cool! :D But seriously, I think those are around 52 deg F, right? That is perfect. As others have said, store them topped off to minimize rxn with O2 (although there is very little of that in general).

Flavors I think are a crap shoot for long term storage...some will hydrolyze it seems over time. Mints are oils, so they probably will store long term fine. Fruits are esters, which can hydrolyze eventually. I don't what my current faves are chemically, but I will prob find out at some point. These are caramel, pralines, cream, chocolate. So I am making flavors as I go. Long term storage will be for unflavored high-nic juice.

To be on the safe side, too, I would wash the bottles you get with high-proof vodka and let them dry overnight or with a hair dryer. Bottles right from a producer may or not be totally clean.

Hope this helps!

Kurt

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
paise, this is the company I was thinking of, specifically:

Amber Euro Glass Bottle 50 ml w/ Dropper Cap (Blk) - 18 EURO BLK

I like the euro dropper caps because you can insert a syringe. I'm getting 30 mL and 50 mL amber bottles...I wish the cobalt came with euro dropper cap, but it is only Bostons that I can see.

Unless the amount of liquid in a bottle/jar is more than what you would go through in about a month or so, I would just leave them sealed as is. That's why I am doing 30 mL or 50 mL.

"Would storage in a wine fridge be too cool?"

That would be WAY cool! :D But seriously, I think those are around 52 deg F, right? That is perfect. As others have said, store them topped off to minimize rxn with O2 (although there is very little of that in general).

Flavors I think are a crap shoot for long term storage...some will hydrolyze it seems over time. Mints are oils, so they probably will store long term fine. Fruits are esters, which can hydrolyze eventually. I don't what my current faves are chemically, but I will prob find out at some point. These are caramel, pralines, cream, chocolate. So I am making flavors as I go. Long term storage will be for unflavored high-nic juice.

To be on the safe side, too, I would wash the bottles you get with high-proof vodka and let them dry overnight or with a hair dryer. Bottles right from a producer may or not be totally clean.

Hope this helps!

Kurt

I had read on another thread about the wine coolers and decided to invest in one. I got on the net and found a number of them for around $100 plus about $30 for shipping. I was about to order one and then thought, "craigslist". Did a quick search and found someone selling one new, but without the box for $30. Turns out that he had gotten it as a birthday gift and never used it. They were moving so they were selling off things they didn't need. It has a digital temp control. I closed off the glass front and am keeping my liquid at about 57 degrees. Works for me and it's isolated from the refrig where I felt you'd get too much humidity. JMHO

Winace

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why don't we all just go to the nearest mall and vape water? Would they try to ban a water vaporizer? Water produces vapor... your body is primarily composed of it, would they attempt banning it? I'd like to see someone arrest me for smoking water! Nicotine is the only thing here in question... how can a city ban vaping in general? Will they ban heating elements (atomizers)? This is really kind of ridiculous... What if I disolved a Jolly Rancher candy and wanted to consume it through vapor? How I consume a consumable product should be my choice, it is not like I am exposing myself while sticking it in my ___! This is more than just an FDA issue in my opinion. I feel as if my basic freedoms are being placed under a microsope here. Sorry for the vent..... just a little irritated today I guess...

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
Winace ,

You have a right to be irritated and should be. It all comes down to money. You could vape PG or VG & H20 with flavoring , no nic and technically they cant touch you.
Some anti smoker will raise hell no dount or an owner afraid of being in violation of the anti public smoking laws. If it looks like smoke and looks like you are smoking , it must be smoke. So, they will ......
The best you can do is be polite and explain it to them with a description of the PV and it function and explain it has no nic in it. Have it printed off and dare them to fine or arrest you. Personal possesion isn't affected even if they are banned, only outlawed.
Many times I just vape PG and have a snus in. I get my nic fix and oral fixation at the same time. Sure stretches your supply.
A Jolly rancher candy has a lot of sugar and will carbon the atty, use a flavoring like Loranns, Bicfords or Capellas instead...even Tasty Vapors works well!
The main thing is not to be confrontational. We need all the good exposure we can get.

KonaNeil

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
Big Island, Hawaii
How much does it cost to run the mini fridge?

$10.00/month??

I don't think so. The "Energy Star" tag affixed to appliances in stores will tell you the normal usage but keeping it above 50f will of course cost even less.

I have one because I'm in the tropics, not specifically for nic juice. It saves me having Cokes, beer and cooking oil go bad from the heat.

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
50-55* degrees is great. I doubt it costs $5 a month.
It's closed most of the time!
The fuller the better if you have wine to go in there too...lol
Deep freezers run way less if kept full.

Also, Kurts suggestion for bottles is a good one.
Like I said, I wouldn't open a new bottle to top it off, but if you have bulk or concentrate. When you do open it. Then go to topped off "usage" size bottles so only one bottle is being opened in a reasonable time frame.
Also, flavorless has less chance of "spoilage". Nic an PG/VG should last a long time.
I have both stored, but figure the less ingredients in it, the better for long term.

But.....it is a choice you do still have.

popsec

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
www.vtvapor.com
Other than because some of our suppliers say so, is there any reason y'all lean toward refrigerated storage? I don't mean any disrespect to them, but it's contrary to what I've read, and to what I'm told when I ask lab techs. Do we have anything concrete on this?

There are two reasons for storing e-Liquid at a cold temperature: First, reducing the temperature inhibits bacterial growth. While bacteria is unlikely to grow in nicotine containing liquid, you can never be too safe. Second, it is often recommended that nicotine be stored at a low temperature (see: Chemical Book, NTP Chemical Repository). Since nicotine is the most unstable element in e-Liquid, it just makes sense to base storage recommendations on those recommended for nicotine. Those are the reasons we recommend 2-8C, tightly sealed & away from light. Others may have other reasons.

Last edited:

ramblingrose

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
New Jersey USA
There are two reasons for storing e-Liquid at a cold temperature: First, reducing the temperature inhibits bacterial growth. While bacteria is unlikely to grow in nicotine containing liquid, you can never be too safe. Second, it is often recommended that nicotine be stored at a low temperature (see:Chemical Book, NTP Chemical Repository). Since nicotine is the most unstable element in e-Liquid, it just makes sense to base storage recommendations on those recommended for nicotine. Those are the reasons we recommend 2-8C, tightly sealed & away from light. Others may have other reasons.
Excellent! So there are apparently two very different ideas on this. Nicotine products i.e. NRTs call for room temperature storage, as do many suppliers of nicotine for labs. The NOAA and NIH also call for room temperature storage. All agree on darkness, and most specify dry locations.

paise

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2009
How much does it cost to run the mini fridge?

$10.00/month??

Emus: I doubt it's much but then again I haven't noticed any change however, you have to take into consideration I have a wet room off my kitchen and laundry room (walk through the door from the kitchen, turn right about 70-degrees to avoid the cabinet & you are at another door that opens in front of a Kenmore Front-loader washing w/pedestal). The wet room has an industrial exhaust in the ceiling and a nice large but mobile dehumidifier.

That room holds a 5-7/8 person hydrotherapy spa (about a 500 to 550-gallon water) w/ lounger & 2 captain's seats, which is what they call the nice deep seats with full back jets in rows & jets for the base of the neck not to mention the jets in the floor.

So, when it comes to noticing a higher than usual bill, I haven't noticed it. Besides, my little wine cooler fridge isn't that big. It holds 3 regular sized bottles of wine; hwr, it only holds 2 when I'm lucky enough to get my hands on a nice well-tapped wine that's been in a wine cellar for a few decades or so. The bottles aren't exactly standard. Neither is the bottles for Dom, which is actually Champagne but you get what I mean I'm sure. I keep my nicer wines in the small wine fridge. It already has a dark double-paned glass door. It was a gift; anniversary I think... I remember because it was the only thing I didn't mind getting that didn't have a diamond or a pearl on. :oops: The temp runs about 55F though in the summer months (It's hot here & terribly humid) I've noticed it go to 57 and 58F. I'm heating and cooling about 1600 sq.ft of living space.

Thanks for the info on the bottles and storage. I'll likely boil the bottles from Specialty Bottles. It only takes boiling them for about 5 to 10 minutes to sterilize them. Think of sterilizing baby bottles although I never used bottles because I was the bottle, two at the ready for each feeding.

I'm not sure about the lids b/c they are plastic & they seal the bottles. I'd have to do a bit of research on those.

BTW, ThinkGeek.com has a mini-fridge on their website that holds 1-2 cans of soda. I ran across it a year or so ago then again some months ago. It's still there b/c a friend of mine's son wants one of them so bad he's spitting nails. He hates to get up to go after a drink when he's online at the computer or playing on his video games. He's working now and in school so he doesn't have as much time to be a boy and he's not dating anyone now as he can't put anything into a relationship at this time so he's not even on the look out. He does have female friends, just nothing serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread