• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Game changer? pyrex ss hybrid wick by Scubabatdan

Status
Not open for further replies.

recidivus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2012
Canada
www.youtube.com
Well, the only person who would tell you why you want to is you! I (personally) wouldn't go drilling a 150$ RBA, though you don't need the tube to go in the tank, only where the coil is wrapped. I believe the 15 watts was a test to see how well it handles the heat, there's other folks running it at 6.6 watts and it still works dandy.

Honestly, if you have the parts and it doesn't require irreparably modifying them, I can't think of a good reason to not test it out at least once.

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York
So will anyone tell me then why I would want to

a) drill out my ZEN to fit the pipette through the wick hole

and

b) vape at 15 watts to generate sufficient heat to vaporize the juice

No one said you had to do anything... If you like what you got, use it as is. This is just an experiment to try to improve what's currently being used - it's called evolution.

Projectguy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2012
Oakville, ON
Thank you!!! Calm breathe deeply (this is for me because I obviously got excited).

Next question humbly submitted to this think tank.

Why not consider a perforated ceramic straw / rod, ID and OD are well within tank top tolerances without drilling things (ugh!) or trying to stuff steal mesh into pipettes?

Tag your all it!

BuzzKilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2010
Etobicoke, Ontario
www.graindeep.etsy.com
The whole point of the "glass" tube is so that your e-liquid DOESN'T touch the coil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
well that was the original intent.

By achieving this, the whole setup becomes cleaner.
No more caked on crud making your coil taste like poo.
No more degraded coil due to gunk build up.
once the design is perfected, this becomes a cleaner vape and easier maintenance for a rebuildable.

the bonus side effect is that you can just swap wicks or wrap a new coil without worrying about shorts....

Drilling holes or cutting slits, takes away from the premise of this setup.

I have unsubscribed form the Scubabatdan thread because there are too many people giving their input without actually doing anything.
"too many chef's in the kitchen!"

lets leave this to the veteran modders!

i for one will not be attempting this, because i HAVE seen many suggestions that will just lead to shattered glass being inhaled.

Projectguy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2012
Oakville, ON
once the design is perfected, this becomes a cleaner vape and easier maintenance for a rebuildable.

the bonus side effect is that you can just swap wicks or wrap a new coil without worrying about shorts....

Very positive approach

I have unsubscribed form the Scubabatdan thread because there are too many people giving their input without actually doing anything. "too many chef's in the kitchen!"

As have I. I signed up for the Spartan 300 as a low cost, high quality, premiere performing, SIMPLE mod. It now feels like something that should go on the top of a Christmas tree opreated by remote control. I'm also in for the Nevil chip; we see where that goes.

i for one will not be attempting this, because i HAVE seen many suggestions that will just lead to shattered glass being inhaled.

On that note Buzz, I'll follow you out of the room as I do NOT have the expertise or experience to be providing anything constructive to this discussion; essentially I don't know what I'm talking about.

May I lurk in the hallway?

BuzzKilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2010
Etobicoke, Ontario
www.graindeep.etsy.com
there is no problem with lurking, and giving your support.

I'm just really bad at biting my tongue when it comes to some of the comments i have seen.

There is a lot of "you know what would be better" comments in that thread.
most of which are pointing in the wrong direction. and it comes from people who don't have that much experience with the materials.

Then, someone in their basement will go ahead and try it, only to cause personal damage to themselves.
I wouldn't want that on my conscience. This is what blurting out the first idea that pops into your head will cause... GLASS FUSES, SERIOUSLY!

everyone is quick to give ideas, but when someone gets hurt, they refuse to take responsibility.

I personally am in the process of designing a new rebuildable to better accommodate Scubabatdan's coil design.
I'll leave the materials and concept to guys like him. And i'll give my input when i feel i have a solid idea.
Till then i will keep my ideas to myself. :p

X P3 Flight Engineer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Moncton, N.B. Canada
there is no problem with lurking, and giving your support.

I'm just really bad at biting my tongue when it comes to some of the comments i have seen.

There is a lot of "you know what would be better" comments in that thread.
most of which are pointing in the wrong direction. and it comes from people who don't have that much experience with the materials.

Then, someone in their basement will go ahead and try it, only to cause personal damage to themselves.
I wouldn't want that on my conscience. This is what blurting out the first idea that pops into your head will cause... GLASS FUSES, SERIOUSLY!

everyone is quick to give ideas, but when someone gets hurt, they refuse to take responsibility.

I personally am in the process of designing a new rebuildable to better accommodate Scubabatdan's coil design.
I'll leave the materials and concept to guys like him. And i'll give my input when i feel i have a solid idea.
Till then i will keep my ideas to myself. :p

One of my pet peeves is people telling me what they are going to do rather than what they are doing or have done!

My list of what I am going to do... is a mile long.
My list of what I am doing... not too long!
My list of what I have done... well, that's pretty long, but that's only because I am Old!
And nobody wants to hear about it!
Lol

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
Fraser Valley, BC, Canada
So will anyone tell me then why I would want to

a) drill out my ZEN to fit the pipette through the wick hole

No need to drill at all. He found early on that there's no need for the tube to extend into tank, so no need to drill.

The whole point of the "glass" tube is so that your e-liquid DOESN'T touch the coil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
well that was the original intent.

By achieving this, the whole setup becomes cleaner.
No more caked on crud making your coil taste like poo.
No more degraded coil due to gunk build up.

I have unsubscribed form the Scubabatdan thread because there are too many people giving their input without actually doing anything.
"too many chef's in the kitchen!"

I agree with you on the safety issues.... someone suggested placing some SSmesh where it could filter the vapor in case of an unexpected problem and tiny glass shards. That kind of defeats the purpose of the super-clean vape too, but until it's been tried and tested successfully, it might be prudent to take such precautions.

As for not trying, I'll admit as I'm as green as they come, but that's not going to keep me out of the fray. I will however be holding back and learning all I can first. Asking probably dozens of questions. Acquiring the safest materials that others with lots of knowledge and experience have already proven to be effective and safe. Sharing pictures of my progress with those that can advise me as to flaws..... and when it comes time to test, it'll be with goggles, canvas jacket and welding mitts in my concrete carport. (Neighbors ought to get a kick out of that one.)

I do solemnly swear that no fuses, Christmas light bulbs or other completely unsuitable materials will be harmed in my tinkering. No flame-polishing. No test-firing without protective eyewear. And no fooling around of any sort until I have a decent multi-meter and gain a better understanding of electrical concepts as apply to vaping. Gotta walk before I run.

I may be green, but I'm not crazy. I hear what you're saying BuzzKilla, it's in no one's best interests for some uninformed enthusiast to make headlines trying something hair-brained in their kitchen. I'm excited that you're working on something that could conceivably bring this idea to market in a safe finished form. And truthfully, I'd cry if I heard anyone drilled out their Zens to play around with this idea. But veteran modders didn't become that by sitting back and not trying new things.

I'll continue to follow that thread as long as i can stand to, so that I can follow the progress and benefit from the experience of others, both good and bad. Who knows? Maybe by the time I'm actually ready to try it, your finished, tried and true version will be ready to go, and I'll just go that route!

BuzzKilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2010
Etobicoke, Ontario
www.graindeep.etsy.com
Tyger , if you feel confident in your ability & safety to pursue this design have at it.

This is just my cautious public warning.

This is a public forum and we need to treat it like such.
Anyone can read this and assume they can do it themselves, only to end up getting hurt.
That includes the random ideas that get introduced.

Experienced veteran modders, have earned that title ONLY through safe cautious practice.

Its really hard to be a fabricator when you are missing a digit, or cant see out of one eye ;)

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
Tyger , if you feel confident in your ability & safety to pursue this design have at it.

This is just my cautious public warning.

This is a public forum and we need to treat it like such.
Anyone can read this and assume they can do it themselves, only to end up getting hurt.
That includes the random ideas that get introduced.

Experienced veteran modders, have earned that title ONLY through safe cautious practice.

Its really hard to be a fabricator when you are missing a digit, or cant see out of one eye ;)

*big grin*.... well I don't feel confident enough just yet.... but I'm really excited about gaining enough knowledge as fast I can so that I do. For now, I'll be satisfied cutting my teeth winding coils for my first very entry-level RBA, which will hopefully arrive Monday.

I do agree with your warning.... if vapers and modders are making headlines, I want them to be the kind that bring great press to what we're doing. The modding threads all have a HUGE disclaimer and warning at the top, and I think we need to take it very seriously. Just as we would in any other arena, we must be careful whose advice we follow!

And in my green enthusiasm and excitement, I mean no disrespect to the pioneers that have gone before. You guys have earned your stripes.... I just wanna follow the trail of breadcrumbs you leave ;)

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
I've sent an inquiry for ceramic insulating tubes. 2.7x1.7mm.

I'm only repeating what I've read here, but in that thread they were saying that ceramic is a better insulator than conductor of heat. Therefore it'll isolate the coil effectively, but not vaporize the juice as well. Also, it could introduce more chemicals and soak up juice if it's porous, where pyrex isn't porous. Lastly, it's longevity isn't as good as that of Pyrex.

Michaaar

Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
Pittsburgh
Seems like what we need is a means of producing positive pressure within the tank itself.. Im almost willing to bet that if you are able to drill a couple of tiny holes at the top of a center post, that will introduce air into a tank as you take your puff, capillary action would force fluid up a thin enough pyrex tube where it could be safely heated by the coil and vaporized.

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
Seems like what we need is a means of producing positive pressure within the tank itself.. Im almost willing to bet that if you are able to drill a couple of tiny holes at the top of a center post, that will introduce air into a tank as you take your puff, capillary action would force fluid up a thin enough pyrex tube where it could be safely heated by the coil and vaporized.

Not sure, but I wonder if that would cause the tip of the tube to bleed juice between draws and when just sitting.... if so, it would dribble and get on the coils and goo things up... not sure though...

Michaaar

Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
Pittsburgh
If the pressure in the tank can be regulated by the act of drawing on it then that shouldn't be a problem, the fluid would only rise to a certain level before dropping off.. as of right now though, my few experiments with a positive pressure tank have been lacking in success. If I manage to make a workable mod off one of my RBAs I'll post back here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread