Not open for further replies.

jpcwon

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
North Easton, MA
I was just wondering if it was possible to run the Heron without fluff.

It is not recommended by Perseas to run the Heron without Fluff... There are just too many things that can go wrong IMO. The coil area can flood easily, and the tank section is only held on by o-rings (most tank sections that do not use fluff are screw-on).....This invites the possibility of the tank coming loose and spilling juice everywhere....

Plus, the Heron just works SO well with fluff, so why would someone want to run a fluffless build? I have tried to see the benefits of doing so, but cannot find any....

faitaccompli

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 10, 2014
Fredericksburg, VA
It is possible, i have done it several times. However, if you dont get the wick just right you will flood pretty easily. I never had a problem with the tank coming apart (it's built so well!). However, it IS a possibility.

The advantage is that it allows you to run a more aggressive coil without worrying about burning up due to the slower feed with fluff. However, the tight airflow makes that pointless.

The advantages of the fluff outweigh the advantages of fluffless, speaking from experience.

StrikeIII

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2013
Chicago
Hey GP fam sorry I been MIA work and school has me going insane! Jus wondering if anyone has a piccolo they're willing to sell? I obviously want to buy the new one when it comes out but I been googling the classic one and I am fall

Ace, how come you always post in the Heron thread. :facepalm: Go to the main one :D

But good to know your still in school!

Zbeast08

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2013
Wilson, NC, USA
I'll apologize for not reading all 87 pages so far & if this has already been covered, but what's in the box? It appears to come with a drip tip perhaps? Not sure about the fluff either & if it does, how much does it come with?

Hi Oz, I have 2 but can't remember everything that it comes with but do recall that it comes with everything to get started!! Fluff, driptip,etc. all included! I love my Herons and Spheroids!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cliffy15

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Honolulu, HI
I'll apologize for not reading all 87 pages so far & if this has already been covered, but what's in the box? It appears to come with a drip tip perhaps? Not sure about the fluff either & if it does, how much does it come with?
I'm not sure if the packages components have changed but mine came with everything I needed except tools. Heron, tip, spare o-rings, fluff (enough for 3-4 buildsI believe), silica, and even some ribbon wire (don't know the type and I've never actually used it).

Ozwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Montana
Well, after a month of waffling, I finally broke down & bought a Heron this morning with Domo's release. I got the Heron, some extra fluff, a 'vase' drip tip & the 510 base adapter just in case if I love it & want to use it on my non-201 mods. Little more than I wanted to spend, but from what I've been hearing it'll be worth it.

Plus I'm getting a little fed up with the drive to work - I go up in elevation enough to make my KFL's want to leak on me. I can usually keep one from doing it, but I can't bring a backup tank with me without a mess in my bag.

hobbes4

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2009
Well, after a month of waffling, I finally broke down & bought a Heron this morning with Domo's release. I got the Heron, some extra fluff, a 'vase' drip tip & the 510 base adapter just in case if I love it & want to use it on my non-201 mods. Little more than I wanted to spend, but from what I've been hearing it'll be worth it.

Plus I'm getting a little fed up with the drive to work - I go up in elevation enough to make my KFL's want to leak on me. I can usually keep one from doing it, but I can't bring a backup tank with me without a mess in my bag.

Just store the Kayfun upside down until you are ready to use it and it won't leak...or buy a second Heron like i did :)

Ozwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Montana
Just store the Kayfun upside down until you are ready to use it and it won't leak...or buy a second Heron like i did :)

I'm going up a couple thousand feet in under an hour. I've used the upside down trick before, just to keep them leaking on the journey itself, but the air pressure difference between 5k & 7k is enough (it's bigger than 0-2k by far) that you can't just flip it over & start vaping on it unfortunately. Add in a slightly gunked wick and/or coil & they just get grumpy with you all day. I make due & have minimal problems... I've been using Kayfuns long before they became popular so my builds don't have the frequently complained about issues that you hear so often since the bandwagon passed through... but having a non-vacuum reliant tank will be quite nice & one less thing to think about. I'm really looking forward to getting the Heron.

I just got a first run Holyland ANT today from a friend & am loving it. I'll be running the Heron on that for a while but I've got a GUS 22 in the crosshairs as well. I think I'm just as excited to move to a 201 hybrid system as much as I am with the non-vacuum change. I've got a couple of Provari's, but I use my Poldiac's more than anything. Love the switch (best side-button mech out there that I've found), but the 510 leaves a bit to be desired on them... mostly because it doesn't play nice with the Kayfun positive post design. The Heron with the 510 adapter will take care of that issue as well.

Ozwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Montana
I've heard the flavor on the Spheroid is better than the Heron (which makes sense in theory because of the chamber design), but everything I own is 22mm... or if I take the rings off the Provari's, 19mm... but I think that big step would bother me aesthetically. The Piccolo looks like a really nice device & a perfect match for it, but the battery life in 14mm batteries still puts me off from getting one. Same reason I don't do 350's... I'm loving the tiny factor of this ANT (even in 500 mode), but there's just not enough life in those tiny batteries for me.

I'm trying not to get too over hyped on the Heron, just so my expectations don't run away on me & ruin it. Plus I know there's no such thing as the "perfect" tank or mod. But I'm really going to have to fall in love with it for there to be a 2nd one, just because of the price tag. Now if it were $40 cheaper I wouldn't have hesitated on one for as long as I did.

btobw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia
7QRyVv0.jpg

This Heron was originally on my Paps Lux, but occasionally I like a bit of colour in my life. The blue mod is a Drift Vapor M22 made in the USA. Unfortunately it doesn't have 20x1 threading, but I had bought a Heron 510 converter in anticipation of this. Doesn't the Heron look fabulous on it!

The M22 had a *very* firm switch, so I had to dig out a spare Paps spring to give it the featherlight touch I'm used to with the Paps and Paps-Xs.

It has now become clear that two Herons is nowhere near enought :D

endGame

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2014
WA, USA
www.oughtvape.com
It is not recommended by Perseas to run the Heron without Fluff... There are just too many things that can go wrong IMO. The coil area can flood easily, and the tank section is only held on by o-rings (most tank sections that do not use fluff are screw-on).....This invites the possibility of the tank coming loose and spilling juice everywhere....

Plus, the Heron just works SO well with fluff, so why would someone want to run a fluffless build? I have tried to see the benefits of doing so, but cannot find any....

I run the Heron without fluff and an AGA-t2 cap. I use the cotton topper and drip onto it. It's fantastic and small.
Here's a thread where I get very little love for my endeavor.

btobw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Dear Perseas

As my third GP Heron wings its way to Australia, what I would really, really love is a simple 510 to M20x1 adapter (like a 510 to 510 connector, only with a female M20x1) because ...

1. When building a coil, I could screw the 510 end of the adapter into my wonderful atty stand/coil building contraption (pictured below); the Heron would then just screw into the adapter for a nice, stable base for assembling the coil.

2. Once the coild is built and assembled, the 510 end of the adapter could be screwed into my ohm checker, and then the Heron could just be screwed into the female end for checking the coil

It's a long shot, I know :)

g75z5AM.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread