Heather's Heavenly Vapes - THE BIG THREAD (Part 6)

kkay59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
Feels like August here. Hot dry winds with it. We didn't get all the rain some people did, but we got a half and inch the other day. The wind has probably dried out what little we did get. Some of my plants are suffering, so I am having to baby them. Most of them are doing alright though.

kkay59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
Where the heck is everybody? I'm checking in, and it is too quiet in here. I decided to move some of my cactus to a bigger pot. Hopefully that isn't a mistake. We shall see. I think I'm going with a clay pot, which I usually do. Two of my cactus have blooms on them, and I hope that doesn't mess that up. The smaller pots dry out too fast, and that hot wind isn't helping. The dogs are sucking up the A/C in the house. I would rather be taking a nap too.

kkay59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
Pappy, I was outside a lot of today as well. It was miserable to say the least. I bet I easily drank well over a gallon of water, and that is unusual for me. I was having a time out there trying to water my plants. That wind and heat sucked the moisture right out of them. The bad thing is you don't want to over water some of my plants, because they will rot on you pretty fast. (the cactus and succulents) The plants with established root systems are doing better than the young ones. I have quite a few plants that I am propagating, and they don't have much root at all. If you have a vegetable garden now, it is going to take copious amounts of water in this dry wind and heat. Thankfully I was in the shade most of the time today, with frequent breaks to drink water and cool off inside.

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
I don't that I replaced anyone, I just saw Bronze started a thread, I thought I would drop by and never left.

LOL! And a darn good thing for us that you stayed. Did anyone tell you that if you try to leave, we hunt you down and beg you to come back? ;)

Wait! You’re a pod person? o_O

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
Question for those here owned by cats: How often per day do you feed them wet food? And do they have a bowl of kibble to hit up throughout the day?

The cats that own me are 11 and 10 yrs old. Both at healthy weights. They seem to do best on wet food. The kibble they’ve had is grain-free and as all natural as I could find. But lately I’ve given them less kibble and there’s less barfing. (TMI - sorry!)

Long ago I read that it’s unnatural for a cat to eat kibble. They are true carnivores. Just wondering what others do. :)

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Question for those here owned by cats: How often per day do you feed them wet food? And do they have a bowl of kibble to hit up throughout the day?

The cats that own me are 11 and 10 yrs old. Both at healthy weights. They seem to do best on wet food. The kibble they’ve had is grain-free and as all natural as I could find. But lately I’ve given them less kibble and there’s less barfing. (TMI - sorry!)

Long ago I read that it’s unnatural for a cat to eat kibble. They are true carnivores. Just wondering what others do. :)
    Mine are 6 and 17. I get less of the barfing with less wet food. My cats eat Purina complete for dry.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 17, 2013
    New Orleans La.

cats eat mice and birds.... evolution designed their teeth to do that.. ;)
    last time I checked, mice and birds arent hard round little pellets

:)

cats5365

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 27, 2013
    United States

What a lovely topic for a breakfast discussion...:eek: :D
    I have many cats, some with special diets, some that need meds, plus my feral colony.

Nobody gets to have free access to kibbles because I've had several over the years that will eat until they barf, and then go back for more after they made room in their tummies. Some will eat so fast that when the kibble starts swelling in their tummies, they barf. You can tell by what you find, what kind of puker you have. I do get the occasional hairball causing a meal to return, but that is more rare, and you really can't do much about those.

Everyone gets fed breakfast and dinner, and generally they get an hour to eat before I pick up the bowls. Several of them get fed in different places to keep track of how many meals any one cat is eating. I try to keep from having any leftovers when they are finished or time is up. The ferals get kibbles unless it is really cold out and I want them to have the extra calories and a warm meal in their tummies for a cold night.

Breakfast is usually 1/4 can of fancy feast with a serving of kibble. The can food is mostly so that I can mix some supplements into the meal and the target cat will eat his meds. The oldest cats are on Kidney and bladder stone diets, so they get a full can of their special food and eat in a carrier so that they don't share with the other cats.

Dinner is usually a smaller portion of kibbles for the general population and special diet kibble or another can of food for the old ladies with the kidney problems.

I think the quality of the food is more important than whether it is can or dry. The can food might be better for them, but you have to go with what is affordable for you. Keeping the food picked up after meals will help if you have creepy crawlies or stray critters that might stop by for free food.

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    Good morning Army!! :)

My understanding is the dry stuff is far more nutritious than the wet stuff. Any vet I've known says they should be eating the dry stuff.

cats eat mice and birds.... evolution designed their teeth to do that.. ;)
    last time I checked, mice and birds arent hard round little pellets

:)
    Cats that eat mice and birds live to five and die. Cats that eat kibbles live to 15. :)

Robino1

Resting in Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 7, 2012
    Treasure Coast, Florida
    My cats only had dry food. It would sit out all day and they only ate when they were hungry.

Good morning Army. :)

When I had a dog (for a minute) I had a large bag of dog food on the back enclosed porch. I found my monster kitty (Maine ....) half in the bag chowing down on dog food!

kkay59

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 3, 2014
    LA, I've tried to give the cats here quality food, it didn't go well. The old cat refused to eat it. The younger cat probably would've been able to make the switch, but she listened to the old cat. I would mix a little in, and it would still be there later. If they forced themselves to eat a little, they would throw up. The old cat has a sensitive stomach, and I can't even give her a bite of tuna fish anymore. When they were younger, I kept the bowl about half full 24/7. The old cat got fat, so we moved the food bowl to an area that would make it less likely she would feast until she was stuffed. This spring even the younger cat started getting hefty, so I cut back some more. Neither one will eat pieces of dry food that drops back in the bowl. If you leave it like that, you will regret it. Nature's Miracle time, I'll just say that. I only give them dry food, and that is it. They won't even eat kitty snacks. Both of them are just rotten. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread