How do you define "advanced vaping"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
"Advanced vaping" is not a way to classify one vaper as better than the other. I find myself in a position where no off the shelf products satisfy my needs. I actually see it as you are one of the very lucky few that can get the vape you are looking for from stock supplies. I have to put forth so much more effort to active the same satisfying feeling you get from your chosen gear. So who is really the winner here? In this situation I'm thinking its not the guy that has to spend all that extra time to achive the same thing you get in minutes.

I truly think it's been said that at the end of they day we are all vapers and all that really counts is that we find a way of vaping that works for us as individuals.

One of the Old Boys on a Pipe Smoking Forum where I used to Moderate said it - "If we were all the same in this world we'd all be smoking Burley in corncob pipes, but we are all different and do what works for us."

I think the same thought applies to Vaping.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
The definition each person uses probably has more to do with when they started and what was available at that time.

To me advanced vaping means you know how to get the vape you want/need by improving/manipulating the equipment and power you have.
No matter how cool or hot, anything from enormous bro cloudz or those that replicate a cigarette without using the recently accepted get a bigger hammer approach.
Nothing wrong per say with the bigger hammer approach but, someone always shows up with a bigger more inefficient hammer and the race to the bottom of the rabbit hole ensues.

Just from my limited experience from 2011 till now it is hard to even wrap my head around how much vaping has advanced.

Homemade mechanicals cobbled together from hardware store parts some with vv using all sorts of funky & unique enclosures, learning how to rebuild blue foam carto's and single use dripping attys and get an outstanding vape, that is pretty advanced, or at least was.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Is it the type of gear one uses? Do we define the term by experience or knowledge? Interested in everyone's thoughts.

This depends on how its used in a sentence how I would define it..

when you talk about advancing up the vaping ladder I think of knowledge and experience, however, that knowledge and experience can manifest in many different ways and often a particular manifestation is being alluded to which can easily be picked up on if context is paid attention to..

therefore a discussion where advancing in vaping is spoken of can be addressing any one of multiple topics, such as draw, coil building, devices etc. etc.

Last edited:

Vapemesilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2017
Nevada
Evolve.jpg

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The reason I started this thread was because I had made a comment in another thread and used the word "advanced" in describing going from a MTL low wattage low resistance starter setup to "advancing" to a DTL high wattage sub-ohm setup, and was called out for saying that such a setup was "advanced". This was that comment:

"A lot of folks started out with beginner mouth-to-lung, low wattage, high ohm starter kits (cigalikes, ego's, kayfun-style rebuildable tanks) and never advanced up to direct lung, high wattage, sub-ohm setups.

Then you have beginners whose first vape device was a direct lung, high wattage, sub-ohm setup and they can't handle it and wonder why? They have chosen the wrong type of setup to begin vaping with, because they didn't understand the differences between vape setups.
Calling in all Vaporesso Luxe users. Please help

Everyone has their own preferences in what works for them. There is no "best way" to vape. This is why there is such a wide variety of products on the market."
So in reflection, using the word "advanced" was probably the wrong word to use in that context. In my mind (probably an "old school" mindset, which I have), anything other than a very basic, old school starter setup (cigalike, pod mod, ego setup, cartomizer) was "advanced". So I was curious what everyone else thought.

Last edited:

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
How do you define "advanced vaping"?

There is vaping and then there is advanced vaping like learning to do other difficult things simultaneously such as vaping while doing the uneven parallel bars. Oh sure, some kids with their hats cocked sideways will impress themselves by blowing clouds (while the man boys stand on flat ground) generated by their inline 4 battery mech mod with .005 dual coils woven by French nuns living in a cloister in the Alps who are losing their sight from all the intricate work. But try getting one of those punks to try and take a pull and blow vape cloud tricks while flipping around and banging their cervix off the lower bar at 70 miles an hour and they will end up crying like a schoolgirl who had her pigtails pulled in opposite directions. Candy @sses. Yeah.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
The reason I started this thread was because I had made a comment in another thread and used the word "advanced" in describing going from a MTL low wattage low resistance starter setup to "advancing" to a DTL high wattage sub-ohm setup, and was called out for saying that such a setup was "advanced". This is that comment:

"A lot of folks started out with beginner mouth-to-lung, low wattage, high ohm starter kits (cigalikes, ego's, kayfun-style rebuildable tanks) and never advanced up to direct lung, high wattage, sub-ohm setups.

Then you have beginners whose first vape device was a direct lung, high wattage, sub-ohm setup and they can't handle it and wonder why? They have chosen the wrong type of setup to begin vaping with, because they didn't understand the differences between vape setups.

Everyone has their own preferences in what works for them. There is no "best way" to vape. This is why there is such a wide variety of products on the market."

I view this as someone advancing from a current position to a new position. Or in this particular case, from a pod system to a mod/tank system. I do not view it as the mod/tank being more advanced than the pod.

One could go the opposite route, advance from a mod/tank to a pod and do so for reasons such as simplicity or portability or both.

cats5365

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
United States
The reason I started this thread was because I had made a comment in another thread and used the word "advanced" in describing going from a MTL low wattage low resistance starter setup to "advancing" to a DTL high wattage sub-ohm setup, and was called out for saying that such a setup was "advanced". This was that comment:

So in reflection, using the word "advanced" was probably the wrong word to use in that context. In my mind (probably an "old school" mindset, which I have), anything other than a very basic, old school starter setup (cigalike, pod mod, ego setup, cartomizer) was "advanced". So I was curious what everyone else thought.
I think part of the problem is that if you are one of the early vapers, there weren't many options for a newbie vaper. Today, you walk into a shop or on-line store and there are an overwhelming set of options. They are likely all good for someone, but not perfect for everyone.

To me, there is the novice/rookie vaper, standing on the edge of the rabbit hole with $100 and a pack of smokes in his pocket. He is going to be depending on someone else to sell him a vape device to help him stop smoking. If he is lucky, the shop will get him the right device to meet his goals.

The more experienced vaper has fallen into the hole and started learning more about different products and how they work for him (or not). I still think it might be better to drop the word advanced and maybe find a different one. The hole has no bottom, and there really isn't a more advanced device or vaper, just more options and knowledge about how to use them to get what you want from your vape.

Would calling the different devices Simple and Complex be a better way to classify them? Simple would be plug & play with factory coils and a fairly basic device. Complex would be the device where you start building your own coils, setting your mod to work with your preferred tank, and dialing in a more customized vaping set-up to meet your own preferences.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Would calling the different devices Simple and Complex be a better way to classify them?
Nah. Advanced is the correct word. If vapers of simple devices feel left out by that characterization they need to think twice. Understated minimalism is elegance.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
It's really not about what you vape, it's how you vape it. The nonchalant way you rest the mod on your little finger as though it was part of your hand, and then raise it decisively to your mouth as you would a glass of fine port. The refined pursing of your lips as you exhale an elegant, perfectly formed plume of vapor. These are the signs of an advanced vaper.

• Winner
Reactions: AngeNZ

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
Ah the advanced drinker. Makes getting pished look civilised.

"For "Is" and "Is-not" though with Rule and Line
And "Up-and-down" by Logic I define.
Of all that one should care to fathom, I
Was never deep in anything but-Wine."

From the Rubyiat of Omar Khayyam - known to all Truly Advanced Drinkers and determined non thinkers and beloved of us who hate Labels, unless of course they give vintage and prooof!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread