Status
Not open for further replies.

MeltingGlass

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2011
Oshkosh, WI
www.bedazzletubes.com
Finally something I know something about! I've been using crimping beads like forever making jewelry with my torched worked glass beads. In my 'girl' opinion I wouldn't suggest buying the crimping tool. Just another tool you dont really need. The crimping tool is used for finished stringing on a necklace or bracelet which has allot more weight and needs to be perfectly crimped. You don't need a perfect crimp on your attys and theyll stay just fine. Just use a needle nose like us 'girls' did when the crimping tool wasn't around way back then. Hobby lobby usually has the crimps in sterling silver but wait until their 40% off. Watch for their silver jewelry sale which is about every 5 weeks or so.

MeltingGlass

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2011
Oshkosh, WI
www.bedazzletubes.com
Found these on fire mountain gems. Close to 1mm to 1mm sterling they had Crimp bead, sterling silver, 1.6x1mm smooth round tube, 1.1mm hole. Sold per pkg of 10. - Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Finally something I know something about! I've been using crimping beads like forever making jewelry with my torched worked glass beads. In my 'girl' opinion I wouldn't suggest buying the crimping tool. Just another tool you dont really need. The crimping tool is used for finished stringing on a necklace or bracelet which has allot more weight and needs to be perfectly crimped. You don't need a perfect crimp on your attys and theyll stay just fine. Just use a needle nose like us 'girls' did when the crimping tool wasn't around way back then. Hobby lobby usually has the crimps in sterling silver but wait until their 40% off. Watch for their silver jewelry sale which is about every 5 weeks or so.

MeltingGlass

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2011
Oshkosh, WI
www.bedazzletubes.com
Found these on fire mountain gems. Close to 1mm to 1mm sterling they had Crimp bead, sterling silver, 1.6x1mm smooth round tube, 1.1mm hole. Sold per pkg of 10. - Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

lorderos33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2011
FL
I just give up about this little crimping beads, they are like jumping beans, LOL. No fun for me playing with them. I just use silver paste solder and ready to go in a breeze.

This is also a very good way to make the connections. Very solid when it works right, I run into issues with the solder not wanting to adhere to the kanthal most of the time. Every once in a while I get solder to hold, but usually it gets so hot that it melts the silver wire and breaks. Perhaps I am not using the right solder or flux, but I have gotten good and quite fast with crimping the wires so that's my go to method for now. Any insights would be good though. More excuses to break out tools :)

Ariel_MX

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2010
Guadalajara, México
Finally picked up an Iatty on the classifieds! :w00t:

Can't wait to get my hands on it! now I have to spend a few days retracing this thread To make sure I get the right wick and nonresistance wire...:facepalm:

You will love it. I recommend you buy the bottom and top plastic parts, specially the top one, it could get lightly melt if there is a wrong setup. COV has them on stock currently.

UA72Riddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2010
Griffin, GA
You will love it. I recommend you buy the bottom and top plastic parts, specially the top one, it could get lightly melt if there is a wrong setup. COV has them on stock currently.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks. :)

But if I build the coil right, and all or most of the resistance wire is in the ceramic cup, then i shouldn't have that issue.....right?

gratefulbuddy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
KC MO USA
I agree about getting replacements. I melted the top plastic once when the whole mod rolled and kept the button pressed down for who knows how long. Everything still worked afterwards but then all the liquid dumped into the ct cause the o rings on the ceramic had nothing to seal against. Tried to put a new groove in the plastic for the oring but it was a no go. It was definitely due to murphys law cause I had placed an order for the top plastic moments before all that.

Rick.45cal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2011
Lakeland Florida
I'd go with 30 gauge, the dead soft .999 pure silver wire is what I have used since iAtty came out, and it has worked wonderfully. Sterling Silver is as good, and usually a bit cheaper too.

Yes, if you get all the res wire in the cup, you will be fine (don't do any drastic dry burns and you will be fine)

Imeo, is good about providing parts for all his creations, even when they are "discontinued" items. You shouldn't have to worry about getting parts later, but it is especially nice to keep a replacement on hand of those two pieces, just in case, something happens :)

Congrats, iAtty was my favorite, and served me flawlessly! Mine is now in the possession of my best friend, he's borrowing it, until he can save up and get an Odysseus :)

fright88

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2011
Loveland CO
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread