The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Iatty

Discussion in 'The GG' started by imeothanasis, Apr 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. lorderos33

lorderos33 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    FL
    No, you can get them and the correct crimper at just about any craft store that sells beading supplies :)

2. MeltingGlass

MeltingGlass Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    Oshkosh, WI
    Finally something I know something about! I've been using crimping beads like forever making jewelry with my torched worked glass beads. In my 'girl' opinion I wouldn't suggest buying the crimping tool. Just another tool you dont really need. The crimping tool is used for finished stringing on a necklace or bracelet which has allot more weight and needs to be perfectly crimped. You don't need a perfect crimp on your attys and theyll stay just fine. Just use a needle nose like us 'girls' did when the crimping tool wasn't around way back then. Hobby lobby usually has the crimps in sterling silver but wait until their 40% off. Watch for their silver jewelry sale which is about every 5 weeks or so.

3. MeltingGlass

Apr 15, 2011
    Oshkosh, WI
    Found these on fire mountain gems. Close to 1mm to 1mm sterling they had Crimp bead, sterling silver, 1.6x1mm smooth round tube, 1.1mm hole. Sold per pkg of 10. - Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

4. MeltingGlass

Apr 15, 2011
    Oshkosh, WI
    Found these on fire mountain gems. Close to 1mm to 1mm sterling they had Crimp bead, sterling silver, 1.6x1mm smooth round tube, 1.1mm hole. Sold per pkg of 10. - Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

5. Poppa D

Poppa D Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 7, 2010
    Minnesota, USA
  6. fright88

fright88 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 21, 2011
    Loveland CO
  7. NandyDC

NandyDC Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Aug 25, 2009
    San Juan, PR
    I just give up about this little crimping beads, they are like jumping beans, LOL. No fun for me playing with them. I just use silver paste solder and ready to go in a breeze.

8. Oddy

Oddy Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    UK
  9. lorderos33

lorderos33 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    FL
    This is also a very good way to make the connections. Very solid when it works right, I run into issues with the solder not wanting to adhere to the kanthal most of the time. Every once in a while I get solder to hold, but usually it gets so hot that it melts the silver wire and breaks. Perhaps I am not using the right solder or flux, but I have gotten good and quite fast with crimping the wires so that's my go to method for now. Any insights would be good though. More excuses to break out tools :)

10. NandyDC

NandyDC Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Aug 25, 2009
    San Juan, PR
    Im using Silver Paste Solder Extra Easy, I got the hint from the user Smacker and like the name said is super easy, just a little of the paste on the wires and a one second hit with the torch and done. Never broken wires and more wick changes using the same wires.

11. UA72Riddle

UA72Riddle Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 27, 2010
    Griffin, GA
    Finally picked up an Iatty on the classifieds! :w00t:

Can't wait to get my hands on it! now I have to spend a few days retracing this thread To make sure I get the right wick and nonresistance wire...:facepalm:

12. Ariel_MX

Ariel_MX Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2010
    Guadalajara, México
    You will love it. I recommend you buy the bottom and top plastic parts, specially the top one, it could get lightly melt if there is a wrong setup. COV has them on stock currently.

13. UA72Riddle

Dec 27, 2010
    Griffin, GA
    I'll keep that in mind, thanks. :)

But if I build the coil right, and all or most of the resistance wire is in the ceramic cup, then i shouldn't have that issue.....right?

14. Serpent67

Serpent67 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Dec 28, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    You get all extra parts while you can, Riddle.

Maybe none made in future then you will be SOL.

Better safe now than sorry later :)

15. gratefulbuddy

gratefulbuddy Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 19, 2010
    KC MO USA
    I agree about getting replacements. I melted the top plastic once when the whole mod rolled and kept the button pressed down for who knows how long. Everything still worked afterwards but then all the liquid dumped into the ct cause the o rings on the ceramic had nothing to seal against. Tried to put a new groove in the plastic for the oring but it was a no go. It was definitely due to murphys law cause I had placed an order for the top plastic moments before all that.

16. UA72Riddle

Dec 27, 2010
    Griffin, GA
  17. fright88

Supporting member
    May 21, 2011
    Loveland CO
    34 awg seems a little thin I think most people go with 30

18. Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 14, 2011
    Lakeland Florida
    I'd go with 30 gauge, the dead soft .999 pure silver wire is what I have used since iAtty came out, and it has worked wonderfully. Sterling Silver is as good, and usually a bit cheaper too.

Yes, if you get all the res wire in the cup, you will be fine (don't do any drastic dry burns and you will be fine)

Imeo, is good about providing parts for all his creations, even when they are "discontinued" items. You shouldn't have to worry about getting parts later, but it is especially nice to keep a replacement on hand of those two pieces, just in case, something happens :)

Congrats, iAtty was my favorite, and served me flawlessly! Mine is now in the possession of my best friend, he's borrowing it, until he can save up and get an Odysseus :)

19. cos

cos Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 22, 2009
    St Petersburg Florida
    hey guys got my iatty 2 is there a video showing how to tie the resistance and no resistance wire together and set up the iatty? i have most of the rebuildable attys out there but i know the iatty is much different. Thanks

Cos

20. fright88

Supporting member
    May 21, 2011
    Loveland CO
    Check out the first post in this thread for iAtty 2 info Aka Odysseus
    http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/gg/238074-odysseus-official.html

There are videos for all the different modes and how to make coils ect

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.