Innokin iTaste SVD - a very good mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

oh u mad

ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
cali
Ok here are my 2 cents. As a person with a vast background in manufacturing, what I think I am seeing are revision changes and improvements to their components that are likely caused by differing contract dates and multiple suppliers of parts and or finished assemblies. That being said, I must say how impressed I am with the quality of the unit I bought. I took it around the shop and the guys were impressed with all the machining. I hate to think what the poor souls making these actually make for a living, nor do I know their cost of living, but we all agreed that you can not make it here in the states for that cost, closer to the Provari if not higher. I am repeating my order from fasttech tonight. :vapor:

i got my SVD from fasttech last week... and while it has okay build quality, it's nowhere near as good as the Provari. the SVD still has a rattle and the threads are very crunchy. plus SVD's have an issue with the contact connecting with cartos and such. Also, there was pretty dirty when it it arrived in the box brand new and had scratches/knicks all over the little ring that the collar ring sits on top of.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
I don't think it's necessarily fair to compare it to a Provari. It's a real nice mod, even at the $60 (non Fasttech) price. Yes, there are some issues with the connector (my Tatroe won't work with the beauty ring), but it's REALLY COOL looking and quite well built; especially when compared to the immediate competition.

Is it my first choice? No. Am I glad I got it? Unequivocally YES. And I'd highly recommend it to anyone looking for a nice tube mod at a good price.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
LOL I noted the same thing.
My first mod, I figured - "that's weird, but OK, I'll follow the instructions".
It's just plain wrong!
Fortunately, the SVD has "reversed battery protection" so it just doesn't do anything til you flip it around the way that makes sense - with the negative of the battery at the end marked "duh" negative (the bottom).

Just got my SVD from Fasttech yesterday. Good consumer that I am, I read the manual :-0 On the last page where it shows the two tube sizes it tells me to insert the battery negative end first, with the positive end 'out towards the battery negative cap'. This does NOT work!

Other than that, the fit and finish seem to be outstanding. Too many products from across the big ocean have only an approximation or a mere suggestion of threads... The SVD 510 threads are really precise and clean. Likin' it so far.

Thunderball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Grayson, Georgia
i got my SVD from fasttech last week... and while it has okay build quality, it's nowhere near as good as the Provari. the SVD still has a rattle and the threads are very crunchy. plus SVD's have an issue with the contact connecting with cartos and such. Also, there was pretty dirty when it it arrived in the box brand new and had scratches/knicks all over the little ring that the collar ring sits on top of.

I have owned an SVD since thery came out. And then a second one a week ago. And both from fasttech. I cant disagree more. Mine is well made, threads well and not crunchy, makes perfect contact with any topper I use. Its certainly does not rattle. I say this while Im vaping from my Provari.

Im sorry yours seems defective. I would send it back to FT and get another one. They have a great return policy whiuch I have used.

discusfan

May 1, 2013
Austin Texas

You got a lemon dude! Return it! MY unit was in pristine condition. Like I said, I have been machining for right at 30 years, have parts on the space station too. Innokin is producing a very nice and sturdy unit for a much lower price. I have seen a lot of machine tools made in China, and that's where I saw a lot of cutting corners to save a buck, but not here. These guys are getting good.......

oh u mad

ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
cali
I have owned an SVD since thery came out. And then a second one a week ago. And both from fasttech. I cant disagree more. Mine is well made, threads well and not crunchy, makes perfect contact with any topper I use. Its certainly does not rattle. I say this while Im vaping from my Provari.

Im sorry yours seems defective. I would send it back to FT and get another one. They have a great return policy whiuch I have used.

eh, it was only $37... it's now having weird issues where none of the buttons function once in a while. but it's my backup so as long as it works, i don't mind.

oh u mad

ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
cali
You got a lemon dude! Return it! MY unit was in pristine condition. Like I said, I have been machining for right at 30 years, have parts on the space station too. Innokin is producing a very nice and sturdy unit for a much lower price. I have seen a lot of machine tools made in China, and that's where I saw a lot of cutting corners to save a buck, but not here. These guys are getting good.......

let me tell you, this thing has a lot of metal vs metal squeal that sends chills in my spine when telescoping. i know mine is not the only one because i saw a review from grimm green that does the same thing. maybe i'm just used to premium level quality of the provari since it was my 1st mod.

discusfan

May 1, 2013
Austin Texas
That's a shame. You are correct, that is a sign of crappy threads. Either the ID or OD threads are out of tolerance to get that vibrating squeal. Can you believe I had a B&M owner try to tell me that was a sign of good threads, as she screwed a Kanger on an Ego knockoff. :facepalm: I politely gave her "Threads 101" and even drew her a little picture. I doubt we have gauges to check that specific thread pitch, but I can check the OD threads with wires at least. I guess I got lucky, mine are smooth with very minimal wiggle. Probably different suppliers. I have another one coming in, will be interesting to see what I get.

oh u mad

ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
cali
That's a shame. You are correct, that is a sign of crappy threads. Either the ID or OD threads are out of tolerance to get that vibrating squeal. Can you believe I had a B&M owner try to tell me that was a sign of good threads, as she screwed a Kanger on an Ego knockoff. :facepalm: I politely gave her "Threads 101" and even drew her a little picture. I doubt we have gauges to check that specific thread pitch, but I can check the OD threads with wires at least. I guess I got lucky, mine are smooth with very minimal wiggle. Probably different suppliers. I have another one coming in, will be interesting to see what I get.
interesting, but I didn't expect much from the SVD, i mean it was less than $40 haha. Plus mine has a very low quality looking dull black plastic screen instead of the nice shiny one.

Steven Pye

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2012
Herkimer NY
my vamo fell to pieces and started to smoke this morning- luckily my local brick and mortar had the Innokin SVD in stock, right out of the box it feels more sturdy vs the vamo, and I find the user controls easy to pick up.

I had an MVP and loved it, went with the vamo for the price, should have gotten the SVD right off of the bat

ericbnc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2012
Piedmont Triad, NC
interesting, but I didn't expect much from the SVD, i mean it was less than $40 haha. Plus mine has a very low quality looking dull black plastic screen instead of the nice shiny one.

Mine has a dull piece of protective shipping plastic that can be pealed off to reveal the shiny screen...

DaxFX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2013
Puerto Rico
I use the small extension tube with an 18650 battery. There is some play in the top part "brains" and extension tube when tightened with the battery. Anyone have this problem and figure out how to fix it or make it less noticeable.

Tightened until stop but take care and dont over tight

Sent from my iVap using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread