The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Nicotine Extraction from tobacco

Discussion in 'Liquid Extraction From Tobacco' started by opm2008, Aug 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. opm2008

opm2008 Full Member Verified Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Singapore
    Quick question. I boiled down 500ml of liquid that was steeped in boiled distiller water and tobacco. I now have about 10ml of thick coffee brown liquid. How do I calculate the dose to get 10mg PG for my DIY ejuice ? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. 3mg Meniere

3mg Meniere Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 24, 2013
    Tomah Wisconsin
  3. opm2008

Dec 27, 2014
    Singapore
    thanks. would certainly be a plus to get an accurate reading on the concoction. bending the rules a little, what would be the calculation used? Cant get my head around the dosage using 100% nic vs what I was able to procure as factory dosed 24mg nic PG previously.

4. Bagazo

Bagazo Senior Member ECF Veteran

Feb 19, 2009
    The nic testing kit won't be much help because, as I understand it, it only tests for freebase nic and most of the nic that you get from tobacco is in salt form.

How much tobacco did you soak?

5. opm2008

Dec 27, 2014
    Singapore
    a small 12gram bag of drum

6. Bagazo

Bagazo Senior Member ECF Veteran

Feb 19, 2009
    From here it depends on how "safe" you want to play it. Take that amount and multiply it by the % of nic in the tobacco. We don't know so it's nothing more than a guesstimate. This is also where you will come to a major bump in the road. There is a reason extracts are coil killers.

At first the amounts sound like a lot but the truth is that the tobacco usually doesn't have the amounts used in the "safer" calcs and even if it did you are not going to get it all out. I would say that a 50% extraction is probably a good rule of thumb so:

Real safe:
    12g x 5% = 0.6 x 1000 = 600mg / 2 = 300mg / 10 = 30mg/ml

Safe
    12g x 3% = .36 x 1000 = 360mg / 2 = 180mg / 10 = 18mg/ml

Realistic
    12g x 1% = .12 x 1000 = 120mg / 2 = 120mg / 10 = 12mg/ml

So the amount that you ended up with is probably right around where you want it and I'm sure the thickness of your extract has got you thinking, this isn't going to work.

• Like Like x 2
  7. opm2008

Dec 27, 2014
    Singapore
    excellent stuff! many thanks! these guides will certainly help! thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.