Confirmation of what we already knew?

banghead.gif

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
Please do post them. A lot of the instructors I've learned from got their start in the military.

And the posts over the weekend were amazing. Nothing I could possibly add so I just hit the like button. AFAIK, my dad was an MP stateside during Vietnam. There is an old photo of him, I guess their "official" arranged photo, and he was not a happy camper judging by the look on his face. I asked him about his mood at the time when I was a kid and he said they were given about 5 minutes to get ready for the pic. IDK, but I think he got out when his time was up. We never really talked about it and he was killed on the job working for Occidental Chemical when I was 15.

You dredged up a long lost memory ... when I hit Ft Polk, LA Boot Camp, fresh off the bus at about 4 AM, we were immediately herded through processing and issued our gear .. we were allowed a few hours rack time, and then lined up for the buzz cut .. piles of hair surrounding each barber station .. the barber I drew was a wise ... and asked me how I wanted it .. :rolleyes:

At any rate, soon after, it was time for the "official" photo .. we were given a few minutes to shave and get into at least the top half of the dress uniform, and it was hot and so humid .. one guy was too slow shaving and only managed half his face when the drill sarge herded us back out and into the photo line ... the slow shaver was Italian with a dark, thick stubble .. sure enough, when the photos came back, it was very clear he'd only shaved half his face .. so, I'm sure to this day, if he's still around, he'll tell that tale ..

Back then, the idea from the get go was "Get rid of the boy, re-build as a Man" .. and it started the minute you got off the bus .. think "Full Metal Jacket" and you'd be close ... if that gives you any extra insight, I can't say what your Dad's experience was, but not a whole lot of guys I went through with had a happy look .. it was Culture Shock at it's best .. ;)

yiddleboge6

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2012
PA
Some of the long time posters may remember that back in the day, we dreamed of all throwing in together and getting our own island .. it was going to quite the place .. since among the "Brain Trust" here, we have such a wide diversity of folks, each with their own special skills .. and if there was ever a "Doomsday" scenario, we'd be ready for it .. :)

I remember it well...you were going to do the sound system.....:wub:

...If Deb finds this... :facepalm: :cry: :facepalm:

lol....Deb wanting some is why I opened it to public......got a whole lot more stashed in my misc. album that I need to take time to transfer to that one....:lol:

I just gotta get stuff organized and in the folders etc. me and yiddle played with it for a long time today, she was helpin me figger out how to use photobucket and how to get the smilies in here with the new software, rather than uploading them all the time which is what i've been doin. Once I can actually see what I've got......watch out!! lol But it'll take me awhile to get em all uploaded and organized. Then go find more!

just a side note....if you are trying to help somebody with something on the computer......skype has a share screen feature that makes it much easier.....you can see what the other person has on screen and show them what yours looks like to work out what the differences are and find a solution....don't know what I would do with out it when I have computer issues...

Rotowoman

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2014
Louisiana
Hey Y'all. No, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth, although it sure feels like it. I sure have missed you guys, but I've just been ripping and running. AND, of course, STILL no internet at work.

Congratulations for the new babies coming!! Debadoo, hearty congratulations on your 3 years smoke free!!

The Memorial Day tributes ........I have no words. My daughter expressed it best when I talked to her.. "Say a prayer for the fallen".

No A/C since I have been at work,which has left me pretty exhausted every early am when I get in,BUT, I will not ..... since I see other folks are flooding and having a much worse time that I ever could.

AND, I was really looking forward to today when I knew it was time to go home, BUT, I get a call asking if I can stay an extra day for my useless opposite. Since I have home repairs to do, I took it. Won't be in until Friday morning early instead of Thursday. Sure DO miss you folks!!!

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
just a side note....if you are trying to help somebody with something on the computer......skype has a share screen feature that makes it much easier.....you can see what the other person has on screen and show them what yours looks like to work out what the differences are and find a solution....don't know what I would do with out it when I have computer issues...
Google + hangouts has the same sharing feature. :)

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
For da 'hangouts', finally found da review for da SMOKELESS OWL!
Knew you wouldn't stop til you found it!! lol

got a whole lot more stashed in my misc. album that I need to take time to transfer to that one...
Jup!!! Love shoppin in other folks gif shops!!
Giggle Head Shake.gif

Won't be in until Friday morning early instead of Thursday. Sure DO miss you folks!!!
We miss you too!!!! Glad ya let us know, can't wait til ya get home!!!

coffee teddy holding pot, cup, heart says GM I brought coffee.gif

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Hey, hey ... I don't have a complete set like that but I've still got my copy of:
Now, THAT takes me back!

For those, like me, who have lost their copy: Table of Contents

That would be great!

Hey Y'all. No, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth, although it sure feels like it. I sure have missed you guys, but I've just been ripping and running. AND, of course, STILL no internet at work.
That No Internet thing IS supposed to temporary as I remember, right?

Rotowoman said:
The Memorial Day tributes ........I have no words. My daughter expressed it best when I talked to her.. "Say a prayer for the fallen".
Very well expressed indeed!

Rotowoman said:
AND, I was really looking forward to today when I knew it was time to go home, BUT, I get a call asking if I can stay an extra day for my useless opposite. Since I have home repairs to do, I took it. Won't be in until Friday morning early instead of Thursday. Sure DO miss you folks!!!
We miss you too! But, overtime GOOD!

Google + hangouts has the same sharing feature. :)
Very nice! Must learn how to do this!

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Confirmation of what we already knew?

gonna copy some of those to my album. :)

looked better on YouTube... Not as stop-motion. :)

So you're telling us, we're screwed, with respect to Big Tobacco vs: ecigs - unless we buy us few a politicians? :-x

seapeach

Cloud Dweller
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 12, 2015
Florida
good-morning-desi-glitters-32.gif

Busy day yesterday at wellness screenings and late night meetings. Today will be a little calmer. Hope to get some writing in.
Slept good :)
Deb, I'm saving enough chocolate to try a cherry chocolate mix, then sending it off in the mail today. It's Virgin Vapors, Death by Chocolate organic.

Good to see you Roto! Was wondering what happened to you!

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Anybody else watching "Texas Rising" on the history channel? I just watched the first episode......wondered what y'all from down that way think about it.
DVR'd it, but haven't watched it yet.

Puttin all my smilies in PB. Nearly through the G's, but dang my arm is hurtin! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread