Paypal going after e-cig companies we got this today

Status
Not open for further replies.

ditch.the.pack

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
I've liked Revolution Money Exchange. Just a shame they stopped doing their $10 promotion (everyone who signed up using you as a reference got $10 and you got $10. Same way x.com/PayPal garnered so many members in the beginning!). The end of that promo was the end of the RME boom. I'm gonna look into this Dwolla. Unfortunately PP is still my main means of payment since it's so widely used and since eBay has forced it's members to go to it.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa

borockster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2011
Western Ky.
This kind of crap is exactly why I do not use Paypal for anything anymore. I wanted to order from a vendor today but when I went to check out their cc service was unavailable. I got a very nice email asking me to use Paypal. NOT HAPPENING. I hate it for the vendor cause he is a really nice guy but Paypal would get a cut and I refuse to give them a red cent...I asked him to give me a holler when he gets CC service.

Valhalla1

ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2009
USA
bitvapes.com
  • Deleted by oldsoldier

CanadianMetalHead

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2011
Mirabel, QC, CANADA
www.youtube.com
My mother used paypal to pay one item from ebay.ca that cost around 20$. What does she get for using paypal? Someone giving away her credit card info and getting charges on her card for amounts totalling 1200$, all done in Europe. We are from Quebec, Canada.
Paypal says its not their problem. So I say #$^# them.

No worries though, Visa let the charges go after doing an investigation and catching the sucker. ;)
but Paypal is off scott free.

Last edited:

6pointprime

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2010
NYC
Bitcoin is up 500% since I started buying them, but it isn't exactly user friendly. Dwolla is still a lesser evil and let's face it you really can't buy much of anything with bitcoin yet.

I put in an order to buy ecigs using bitcoins. If you want to hear about it, I'll be talking about it on my radio show tonight, June 28th at 9PM EST. See you there! If you missed the show this link will still work in the future for a replay of the show.

33 1/3 minutes with dumwaldo and a .357 announcement 06/28 by kevbow | Blog Talk Radio

Lacedolphin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2012
Harrodsburg,Ky.
Give it time. In a few years, local tobacco shops will sell everything we need as their customers switch. Then Walmart will jump in, but don't expect low prices on ecigs if their markup is anything like the cigarette counter.

We just don't have enough in numbers to sway heads ... yet. Mail order is still the best deal going even if you have to use a CC or DC to pay.

EDIT: I just saw a commercial on TV for American Blue Tip ecigs. It was a full length ad with expensive graphics and a background demonstration of the product, complete with a pretty young lady silhouetted in the background blowing out a thick stream of vapor in a spotlight. Cool! We are getting major market press.

You can watch the commercial here: American Blue Tip™ Electronic Smokes | The Classically Hip Smoke

It looks like an expensive, proprietary model based on replacement cart sales, but its saving grace is that we are getting press from network TV.

WOW you can see the future!! i just bought a rcig at wallmart the starter kit for 14.00 usd.. and honestly i am getting 4 hours at 4.1 volts and a warm wapor and their cartos you cant kill them.. took one and removed all the insides and started dripping and it works like a champ. WTG Walmart the fda will be by shortly.

JD4x4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2012
Maryland
Paypal received a letter from an attorney, John Banzhaf, of Action on Smoking and Health. He stated that the FDA has declared the products unapproved drug-delivery devices and therefore it is illegal to sell them. Theoretically, it is illegal to sell unapproved products, but we all know the FDA has since been smacked down by two levels of U.S. courts telling them that the products are not drug-delivery devices. Until the FDA steps up to bat and says, OK, we agree to regulate them as Tobacco Products, Paypal can't know for certain that they will not get into trouble for processing sales. But once the FDA regulates them as Tobacco Products, we run into Paypals volunatary stance that they don't participate in sales of tobacco products.

Bottom line: Look for a different payment processor.
I will indeed look to cancelling my PayPal account.

But Vocaltek is right that currently PV users are between a rock and a hard place even now with the 'tobacco product' regulation ruling. I'm still new to all this, but I'm convinced that the best (also the most impossible sounding) option is to bring light to the subject with hard scientific fact and divorce nicotine from tobacco with PV use. From the research I've done I can't find health or cost to society risks to nicotine (for sure in this delivery method and typical usage) that are significantly worse than caffeine or alcohol. The biggest problem is that until, what, 2006 or 7 this method of nicotine delivery wasn't available on a wide enough scale to make meaningful health or cost to society studies and claims whatsoever.

I'm sitting here SERIOUSLY upset about the prospect that society is going to call me a children-ignorant addicted miscreant because I desire nicotine, while they suck down caffeine (gets a pass) and alcohol (not as relatively costly as they are going to make nicotine, I'm sure).

I'm also absolutely STEAMED over the fact that my government 'protectors' made it so that I didn't find PV's and quit tobacco until 3 years past when I should have. I consider it a total breach of trust. Additionally, my health insurance through my employer created a 'new tier' for those that still smoked which has increased deductibles. I'm anticipating that when I go to the doctor to get 'certified tobacco-free' to get back on the regular (still crappy) insurance tier I'll likely fail a blood or urine test for cotine.

When that time comes, I'm going to look for a lawyer and will SERIOUSLY consider a lawsuit against the insurance company as well as the FDA in an attempt for THEM to prove to ME that nicotine use in this manner is the egregious health risk that requires increased insurance premiums or deductibles, or it causes the same 'cost to society' as tobacco. And, I'm NOT funding a tobacco reparation fund (through taxes) because I DON'T USE tobacco any more. I've come up with a better analogy about 'tobacco products' since my first thoughts by the way. Nicotine is to a "tobacco product" as caffeine is to a soda product. Meaning when we talk about either component, we need to be talking about the particular end product in question. Who would accept caffeine statistics for coffee use as the primary criteria if the subject was the effect of soda?

Don't know where I'd get the $ for that, or if I'll have the 'nads for it when the time comes, but that's my feeling.

Whew. That and a draw on my PV made me feel a little better. I'm lying. It didn't really.

Last edited:

Turnip

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2011
Australia
Screw 'em. Paypal is not the only game in town.

5 PayPal alternatives - Digital River (1) - FORTUNE Small Business

17 paypal alternatives for easier e-commerce.

Personally, I'm going to email any site I order from and inform them in no uncertain terms that unless they at least offer an alternative to paypal, I'll be taking my business (i.e., my money) elsewhere.

True- Paypal should be watching their back for the competition,
Last time I ordered from Heaven Gifts in China the system was changed from the last time I ordered-the Paypal page for ordering was demanding that to pay for the transaction I had to open an account with Paypal, instead of using it without having an actual account,
Seeing as I hate Paypal and think its life should be terminated, no way do I want an account. Heaven Gifts have a facility to pay called MoneyBookers and I used that instead.. easiest transaction I ever used online,
Moneybookers Payment Guide Shopping Guide Company Info Help Heaven Gifts
Not sure about other vendors, I mainly buy from China.
I really dont understand why Paypal wouldnt be concerned about other companies taking their business,

ambition

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2012
Australia
I really dont understand why Paypal wouldnt be concerned about other companies taking their business

Paypal is so huge they don't believe that they can be taken on seriously by any of their competitors.
Like google in the search engine space and eBay for online auctions, they're practically untouchable, and again like google and eBay, they dictate what's what as they see fit.

In fact Paypal, as an eBay owned company has it pretty good as every auction is required to have Paypal as a payment option, meaning every seller has a Paypal account, and its as integrated into the eBay platform as bidding is, so that's guaranteed revenue that nobody else can touch.

Mind you they also make a good percentage of their profits with payment gateway solutions for brick and mortar businesses and a number of other corporate solutions as well. It'll take a miracle to knock them off their perch.

The problem with this is that if Paypal refuse to process transactions for ecig and nicotine related vendors, there will surely be others that will follow suit because of extra risk (real or imagined), and the ones that will continue to process payments will point to this increased risk and charge vendors accordingly.

The costs will increase for vendors and consumers alike, and Paypal's actions may create negative vibe amongst the uninformed.

This is really disturbing.

sugismimi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
SOUTH CAROLINA
Recently as a member of ECF, it was suggested you get VERIFIED.

One way to get verified,?????
if you are verified thru PAYPAL AND YOUR E-MAIL MATCHED YOUR REGISTERD E-MAIL HERE ON ECF, THEN YOU CAN BE VERIFIED.

Since, I went thru the process of being verified, another option has been added, to be verified thru your E-Bay account.

Niether of these biz's will condone E-Cigs, but we can be verified thru them????????????????

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........................

vpur

Jun 9, 2011
Alberta Canada
Paypal is so huge they don't believe that they can be taken on seriously by any of their competitors.
Like google in the search engine space and eBay for online auctions, they're practically untouchable, and again like google and eBay, they dictate what's what as they see fit.

In fact Paypal, as an eBay owned company has it pretty good as every auction is required to have Paypal as a payment option, meaning every seller has a Paypal account, and its as integrated into the eBay platform as bidding is, so that's guaranteed revenue that nobody else can touch.

Mind you they also make a good percentage of their profits with payment gateway solutions for brick and mortar businesses and a number of other corporate solutions as well. It'll take a miracle to knock them off their perch.

The problem with this is that if Paypal refuse to process transactions for ecig and nicotine related vendors, there will surely be others that will follow suit because of extra risk (real or imagined), and the ones that will continue to process payments will point to this increased risk and charge vendors accordingly.

The costs will increase for vendors and consumers alike, and Paypal's actions may create negative vibe amongst the uninformed.

This is really disturbing.

Thats why I try not to use paypal and google services. My homepage is set to BING. Unfortunately credit card companies are doing similar things to ecig merchants, at least here in CANADA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread