Paypal Shutting Down ALL E-Cig Accounts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SudokuGal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2009
USA-Florida
I had a PP account only to buy e-cigs and related stuff. This week I cancelled it, giving them my reason that it isn't right for them to hold onto a merchant's funds for so long. Today I had an email asking me to complete a survey about why I closed it. So, I repeated my reason and checked "disagreed with their policies" and also explained that I didn't want a business entity telling me what I could and could not purchase.

waveho

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
FYI: You can still set up paypal if you are careful not to include certain "buzzwords" in the product description, like "e-cig" or "e-liquid" or "smoke juice," etc. If you are selling a product, just list the product number or something similarly vague. Still paypal can shut you down but if you fly under the radar and are small enough you can probably get by for a while.

sawshuh

Aug 4, 2009
Austin, TX
FYI: You can still set up paypal if you are careful not to include certain "buzzwords" in the product description, like "e-cig" or "e-liquid" or "smoke juice," etc. If you are selling a product, just list the product number or something similarly vague. Still paypal can shut you down but if you fly under the radar and are small enough you can probably get by for a while.

It all comes down to creative wording. For example, Michael Douglas's son, Cameron, used the code words "bath salts" and "pastries" when he FedExd his .... to customers! ;)

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
paypal has more than two hands and many more mouths.. which is why until they officially announce it we dont know exactly whats whats..

it might come it might not.. i do think asking them isnt good.. the more they get ask abut it the more its in their minds.. and whatever they tell someone today they could well tell them something different tomorrow..

they investigated us long ago for suspected money laundering.. that one did cause problems but only errr took about three weeks to sort out.. not six months..

i do feel they can do as they like tho.. and they dont overly care about the odd victim or two..

trog

OutWest

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2009
Oklahoma USA
www.alternasmokes.com
what about the thought that goes thru my mind.. paypal look more kindly at those with a reasonable amount of money in their account than those that keep taking it all out..

if i was them i would..

trog
Oddly, the opposite seems to be true, at least for the lower volume seller. Constantly emptying out account by transferring small amounts seems to work the best. I think what happens is that when a large sum gets transferred out, it triggers a review. Of course, there's no way to know for sure.

Our Paypal account was frozen last week, When i spoke to AUP and Risk Management at PP, and explained how they can say the ecig is a violation of their AUP, since the AUP does not state the ECIG, and the Ecig is not officially labeled as a Tobacco Product. they only replied with " As Paypal is a part of Ebay it is in the best interest of these companies to currently avoid any issues of this product as the FDA as marked them as unsafe"
I then asked them to provide me the documentation proving this product is unsafe, and to also show me where in there T&C it states the sale of Ecig is not allowed thru paypal. They could not provide either one. Regardless they froze our account. they DONT need a reason to freeze your account, they just can. as we have been a verified member of PP since 2005 we were shocked. We had our account released in 2 days, but had to agree to 2 requests.
1. Provide a Photo ID
2. Remove Paypal logo from our site and if we continue to use to paypal, that we can not use it to sell Ecig or parts for them.

I am so FREAKIN glad we no longer use them.. Yes as nice as it was for our customers and our selves. It is so much easier now and less expensive to just go thru a CC Merchant instead. as many have suggested on these forums. if you are supplier get out of paypal while u can. They may have not frozen your account yet, but they will. They froze our account the day after i was speaking with another supplier telling them how i wasn't worried HA what a wake up call!!

Oddly, the opposite seems to be true, at least for the lower volume seller. Constantly emptying out account by transferring small amounts seems to work the best. I think what happens is that when a large sum gets transferred out, it triggers a review. Of course, there's no way to know for sure.

not true i did not withdraw a large amount of money nor did i have alot in PP during the time. I think what they are doing is searching for ecig supplier website then crossing that data with any account that have that website name or owners name, when they find a match the freeze it.

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
There's was a post from another forum where someone ordered parts for their ecig and the person used PayPal. It was an American company though.
I guess that makes a difference.

I don't think so, I believe it's a mix of:
  1. Having "e-cig", "e-liquid" or "smoke" in your company or domain name.
  2. Making payments (via PP) to China
  3. Being prolific online (i.e; this forum?)
  4. Using the supplied PP logos and not renaming them when you use them on your site. (It's easy to search for paypal.gif)
  5. All of the Above
For whatever reason, some resellers are having problems while others aren't. I speak with several US suppliers fairly regularly and don't think there are any procedural differences between them.

This seems to be selective enforcement of a wide edict, as to whether it is intentional or random is irrelevant...

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
I don't think so, I believe it's a mix of:
  1. Having "e-cig", "e-liquid" or "smoke" in your company or domain name.
  2. Making payments (via PP) to China
  3. Being prolific online (i.e; this forum?)
  4. Using the supplied PP logos and not renaming them when you use them on your site. (It's easy to search for paypal.gif)
  5. All of the Above
For whatever reason, some resellers are having problems while others aren't. I speak with several US suppliers fairly regularly and don't think there are any procedural differences between them.

This seems to be selective enforcement of a wide edict, as to whether it is intentional or random is irrelevant...

Webby--do not forget about the anti-smoking groups that browse around the web and report these Suppliers to paypal!!!

Sun

JimStanmore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2009
Southern NJ
I have used PayPal for several purchases in the last few days - instant transfer, MasterCard and Visa. I remember reading a post somewhere that it might depend on whether you have a PayPal account (I do.) Also, I noticed today that ebay has listings for e cigarettes. Just a few days ago there were only cases; today I saw 901's and cartridges.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread