Premiering The NEW Phoenix RAVEN Line 3.5ml & 5ml Hybrid Phoenix System!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WallyO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Cicero,IL
I wouldn't expect to see any new Ravens for a week or two more. No reason, just my feeling.
Anyway last night I took a head from a 510 xl and tapped it into an empty raven tube. Added the center post from an 808 XL because they are shorter than the 510's. If you use the longer one there is not enough room for a drip tip. Put the plug on top. Put it in a tank and vaping away. Performance is just like the XL's. Because that's what it is. Only holds more which is what I'm after. But surprising to me is that it does not seem as good as the Raven's I tweaked earlier. The heads are not that different visually. Maybe the raven heads have a slightly different wick or coil but my eyes can't tell. Maybe a slightly different air flow. Don't know what, but there is a difference.

Lavaca5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I finally got one carto to work well enough to really mourn the lost potential. If I may paraphrase Mr. Brando, 'it coulda been a contender instead of a dud, which is what it is.' It's too bad for Better Life. They could have had a real front-runner with this I think, but with with technology moving so fast and clones popping up overnight, they may have missed their shot. Some industrious industrialist somewhere has already learned from their mistake and is busily designing a new and improved model. Whoever gets here first wins.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Same here Yiddle!! I do love the vivis, but I was soooooooooo hoping the raven would put me in vaping nirvana. I really really really want these to be great!

And I bad, I love that y'all put so much into this. Checking everything so much and staying on top of them. Even with all that they still managed to muck it up, so I can imagine y'all are making them carry a camera around with em as they put em together, package em and box em up! :laugh:

Lavaca5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I haven't given up on them. I really want them to work. I know everybody loves the VNs and the Titans and such, but the Phoenix has pretty much ruined me for top coil styles and I've never had any luck with the DCT tanks. And besides, my little purple Raven Tank is so pretty. It's sitting patiently on my desk wearing its Sunday-best purple Ming hat, just waiting. Every time I look over at it, it smiles at me.

SolemnPenguin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
Houston, TX
My Raven Tanks are sporting Stallion Cartos and doing very well!

Is there a trick to it? I've never punched a carto before but I wanted to try. So I slipped one in a small raven seemed to fit well. Then, I took it out and I punched holes with a saddle valve. After that it wouldn't slide in past the holes I punched. I could force it but then I'd never be able to fill it. What am I missing? Did I warp the stallion? How do I avoid warping it of I did.

magentaman

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2012
Puyallup,Wa
www.bfbvapor.com
Punching with a saddle valve can and will make them out of round. It is less of an issue with DCT tanks with the plastic ends. Right now I am playing with one I slotted with the cutting wheel on my Dremel tool.

Is there a trick to it? I've never punched a carto before but I wanted to try. So I slipped one in a small raven seemed to fit well. Then, I took it out and I punched holes with a saddle valve. After that it wouldn't slide in past the holes I punched. I could force it but then I'd never be able to fill it. What am I missing? Did I warp the stallion? How do I avoid warping it of I did.

dodari

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2011
New Mexico

Unfortunately it is easy to deform the Stallion outer wall rather easily with that type punch or even with full round type punch I use that has a hardened punch tip on it. I too had difficulty in successfully inserting the punched Stallion into the bottom cap of the Raven tank, in fact in one case I could not without a horrible amount of force, during the which I tore the inner O-ring, leaked big-time. The inner diameter of the 2 caps(bottom and top) of the Raven tank are somewhat less than other tanks, used an inside mic to measure. Having said that I was able to use the same Stallion in a "sub" tank(has a fill screw on the side of the tank) with no real problem at all. Also used similar punched Stallions in a couple of old DCTs from another vendor, purchased long ago.

Don't know what tanks are available to you, if others than the Raven tank they may be a usable option.

WallyO has had success with slotting them and if that's a path you wish to pursue I would ask him for methodology as he has experience with that, I haven't pursued that path much. He could help I'm sure.

dodari

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2011
New Mexico
That's the main reason why I grind slots instead of punching.

Punching with a saddle valve can and will make them out of round. It is less of an issue with DCT tanks with the plastic ends. Right now I am playing with one I slotted with the cutting wheel on my Dremel tool.

When you 2 gentlemen grind your slots do you have ragged edges, I'm thinking of the inner O-rings. The 2 I tried some time ago I ended up with some small but rather sharp burrs at part of the edges of the slots. Fortunately had some spare O-rings to substitute in. If you do have any ragged edges just use some 400 grit emory paper?

Deformation from punching too hard can indeed make things difficult. Tanks other than the Ravens do seem to be more forgiving.

magentaman

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2012
Puyallup,Wa
www.bfbvapor.com
Just slotted my second one and its working great!

20120907_203430.jpg
One Stallion stripped of its covering.

20120907_203623.jpg
Using a DCT bottom for reference I mark where I want my slot.

20120907_203739.jpg
Slot made!

20120907_204222.jpg
Slid into a Raven (or any other carto tank you have around)

20120907_204255.jpg
VAPE!

WallyO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Cicero,IL
When you 2 gentlemen grind your slots do you have ragged edges, I'm thinking of the inner O-rings. The 2 I tried some time ago I ended up with some small but rather sharp burrs at part of the edges of the slots. Fortunately had some spare O-rings to substitute in. If you do have any ragged edges just use some 400 grit emory paper?

Deformation from punching too hard can indeed make things difficult. Tanks other than the Ravens do seem to be more forgiving.

I have a small sharpening stone that I use to deburr. Fine emery should work fine as well. I like the stone because there is very little if any dust put in the carto. Probably not an issue, that's just how I do it. In an earlier post in this thread I gave the dimensions I used from the bottom of the cart (from the tube bottom not the bottom of the 510 thread) I cut mine horizontally and used a diamond dremel cutoff wheel. Very little burring with this wheel. The two slots are on opposite sides of the cart. One on one side and one on the other. Working very well. Filled my second Raven tank today. Have left it on it's side overnight and no flooding. The actual opening of the slots I made are around 1/8". That's the opening. The whole groove is about 3/16" long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread