Not open for further replies.

AnsonJames

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
IRELAND
Here's a quote from vape360 who is a Provape rep;
We kind of look at it like this: There are lots of options on the market and not every device is going to be perfect for everybody. We are all unique in what we want. While some people may prefer 30 watts, some 100 watts, and others 10 watts.

I guess I never understood those people who trash talk something because it doesn't do what they want. No need to trash it, just don't buy it if its not what you want. Some people act like they are being forced to buy something. If we wanted to make a 200+ watt device we could, but it's not our segment. We like to sleep at night knowing that we offer a safe device that is not pushing the limits. You are correct in that some devices on the market say they can do high wattage and they can't, so it's false marketing.

. ok, enough of my little rant

A little side tidbit about the P3 chip. It's a 32-bit ARM system with 128kb memory running 5 million instructions per second. Anyone who says the P3 is outdated doesn't understand what's under the hood. We are not aware of any electronic cigarette on the market with that kind of processing power.

I don't really know why you guys post in these kind of threads - you're happy with your mods - I'm happy with my Provari.
I'll buy the P3 as soon as it's available to me, even though money is tight - and so will the majority of Provari users on this forum and throughout the world.

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
There's plenty of devices in that price range that offer accuracy while providing more power aka more versatility. Even if you don't vape over 20 watts, having that limit when there's plenty of well-built devices that offer more is just constraining your versatility for any future exploration.

This device's claim to fame is only the Provari name and it will no doubt be popular among Provari enthusiasts, but I'm gonna have a hard time recommending it to anyone with the price tag it will probably have and the limit of power and versatility.

And what lack of versatility are you talking about?

ver·sa·tile
ˈvərsətl/
adjective
adjective: versatile

able to adapt or be adapted to many different functions or activities.
"a versatile sewing machine"
synonyms: adaptable, flexible, all-around, multifaceted, multitalented, resourceful

I know I'm old school -- but floating pins, modular both top and bottom....510 and ego threading with easy capability of other types of connections as needed. Is it supposed to be a transformer and change from a tube to a box and back?

I can very easily say the opposite, these high wattage devices are NOT versatile, based on your useage. They don't go low enough power for this old vaper.

A litmus test about a mod based solely on its power output is quite frankly like all political litmus test scenarios, a sign of ignorance and low IQ and/or an underactive libido.

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
From Provape rep here on ECF in the Provape Forum:

"A little side tidbit about the P3 chip. It's a 32-bit ARM system with 128kb memory running 5 million instructions per second. Anyone who says the P3 is outdated doesn't understand what's under the hood. We are not aware of any electronic cigarette on the market with that kind of processing power."

AnsonJames

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
IRELAND
A litmus test about a mod based solely on its power output is quite frankly like all political litmus test scenarios, a sign of ignorance and low IQ and/or an underactive libido.

It's a boy thing - 'mine goes faster than yours' sort of deal.

A lot of the 'sub-ohm' brigade are under the impression that their way - is the only way.

They'll suss it eventually.

tc1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Ohio
We post in these threads to discuss the topic at hand.

I actually respect Provape and find the price argument in general a little silly (given there are mechanical mods that cost more than the current Provari 2.5, mods which contain NO circuit boards which obviously are added cost to manufacturer).

The problem is there seems to be this idea that you either have to hate the Provari or absolutely love it. Well ... not everyone feels that way. Just because someone says something "negative" about Provape/Provari doesn't mean they are trash talking or hating. And just because someone says something positive about Provape/Provari doesn't mean they are "Provari cultist".

The fact is ... when it comes to output power ... the P3 (which isn't even released yet) is comparable to devices released over a year ago. This news is going to disappoint some people while others will sadly never even give the device a look. Will EVERYONE feel this way? Of course not. But will it effect sales? Absolutely.
Some of us WANT to see Provape thrive and gain market share because we believe in WHAT and HOW they do things. But we're not going to be sunshine pumpers either.

My problem with those comments from Provape is that we've heard it BEFORE. When people clamored for VW ... Provape said "That's not what we do". A year and a half later ... P3 does VW. Now people are clamoring for high wattage .... Provape says "We're about safety ... that's not what we do".
Will Provape have a wattage upgrade for the P3 where you pay the $20-$30 and send it back to Provape for the new software in 2015 like they did with the amp limit in the V2. And if they do ... why couldn't they have just boosted the wattage in firmware to begin with? In 2 years are they going to have a 50 or 100 watt P4?

And how could you champion your onboard processor as the best in the industry and then tell the public your board can only push 20 watts "to our safety standards"?

To me, those are legitimate concerns and gripes. But that doesn't mean I'm hating on Provape ....

roflwaffles

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2014
United States
And what lack of versatility are you talking about?

ver·sa·tile
ˈvərsətl/
adjective
adjective: versatile

able to adapt or be adapted to many different functions or activities.
"a versatile sewing machine"
synonyms: adaptable, flexible, all-around, multifaceted, multitalented, resourceful

I know I'm old school -- but floating pins, modular both top and bottom....510 and ego threading with easy capability of other types of connections as needed. Is it supposed to be a transformer and change from a tube to a box and back?

I can very easily say the opposite, these high wattage devices are NOT versatile, based on your useage. They don't go low enough power for this old vaper.

A lack of ability to go up to 30+ watts like the DNA30s and other devices is exactly what a lack of versatility is: you lose versatility from not being able to hit the wattages that you could from other devices at the same price range. Certain builds require more than 20 watts to stand out for increased flavor and overall vape experience. "High wattage" box mods have the versatility of being able to hit lower power settings as well as higher power settings. You're not limited to using strictly high watts, you can go to a lower setting for your preference as well. I don't see how this is hard to grasp.

"High wattage" box mods aren't gaining popularity solely because you can go sub-ohm on them, its because they have the range to do so all the while using low wattages on your higher ohm tank systems. You can use 10-15 watts for your Nautilus Mini/Kayfun and then take it off and use 25-50 for a subohm dripper, which gives you more options. Get off your high horse.

Last edited:

AnsonJames

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
IRELAND
A lack of ability to go up to 30+ watts like the DNA30s and other devices is exactly what a lack of versatility is: you lose versatility from not being able to hit the wattages that you could from other devices at the same price range. Certain builds require more than 20 watts to stand out for increased flavor and overall vape experience. "High wattage" box mods have the versatility of being able to hit lower power settings as well as higher power settings. You're not limited to using strictly high watts, you can go to a lower setting for your preference as well. I don't see how this is hard to grasp.

"High wattage" box mods aren't gaining popularity solely because you can go sub-ohm on them, its because they have the range to do so all the while using low wattages on your higher ohm tank systems. You can use 10-15 watts for your Nautilus Mini/Kayfun and then take it off and use 25-50 for a subohm dripper, which gives you more options. Get off your high horse.

Then go off and buy your high wattage device - I'll get a P3 and we'll both be happy.
Opinions are like... etc,etc.

tc1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Ohio
The point is thay could have produced a 40 watt device if they wanted to but they didn't - will it hurt sales?

Of course it won't.

I don't know how you come to that conclusion. I mean, if Chrysler came out with a car tomorrow that was every bit the quality/luxury of a BMW while having more horsepower and better gas mileage ..... at half the price. You don't think it would hurt sales of BMW? Yes ... it would.

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
A lack of ability to go up to 30 watts like the DNA30 devices which have been wildly popular the past half of a year is exactly a lack of versatility: you lose versatility from not being able to hit the wattages that you could from other devices at the same price range. Certain builds require more than 20 watts to stand out for increased flavor and overall vape experience. "High wattage" box mods have the versatility of being able to hit lower power settings as well as higher power settings. You're not limited to using strictly high watts, you can go to a lower setting for your preference as well. I don't see how this is hard to grasp.

"High wattage" box mods aren't gaining popularity solely because you can go sub-ohm on them, its because they have the range to do so all the while using low wattages on your higher ohm tank systems. Get off your high horse.

No high horse here. A pony is more my speed and fit for my size.:)

It can't hit the wattages I do on other devices. :ohmy: I repeat, It can't go (regulate) low enough.

The DNA20 and 30 only start regulating at about 8 watts and despite my fondness and overall happiness with every Evolv Product I have, I almost didn't acquire a DNA device. I do adore them for several reasons, but don't use them "all day".

I am not alone. I do believe the Innokin chip might be about right for a bunch of us, even though no one has even mentioned how low it can go. Too bad I really don't like the tube. :laugh:

With some of the atty devices I use I go down to the lowest setting on my Provari's. Strange? Perhaps. But, also true.

Last edited:

tc1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Ohio
No high horse here. A pony is more my speed and fit for my size.:)

You are incorrect. The DNA's don't go low enough for me.

My Darwin does and so do my Kicks and DNA12, but not my DNA 20's. They only start regulating at about 8 watts and despite my fondness and overall happiness with Evolv Products, I almost didn't acquire a DNA device. I do adore them for several reasons, but don't use them "all day".

I am not alone. There are other vapers that are interested in an Evolv chip with lower range performance. I do believe the Innokin chip might be about right for a bunch of us, even though no one has even mentioned how low it can go. Too bad I really don't like the tube. :laugh:

With some of the atty devices I use I go down to the lowest setting on my Provari's. Strange? Perhaps. But, also true.

And I 100% understand and respect that. Unfortunately I'm the opposite. I generally require at least 30 watts on the attys and nic level I vape.
So here I am ... patiently waiting on the V3 for over a year ... and now I find out the P3 will be generally unusable to me. So I for example, will be a lost sale (and I doubt I'm the only one).

Kinda frustrating because everything outside of the output power looks great and HAD the output suited me ... it would have been my next big purchase for sure.

AnsonJames

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
IRELAND
I don't know how you come to that conclusion. I mean, if Chrysler came out with a car tomorrow that was every bit the quality/luxury of a BMW while having more horsepower and better gas mileage ..... at half the price. You don't think it would hurt sales of BMW? Yes ... it would.

So you think Provape don't have a clue about the market despite being in it for years and reading forums,etc.
Just because you don't want to buy a certain device it doesn't mean the rest of us think that way.

You should get in contact with Provape - stat!

It's amazing Provape survived as long as they have without your knowledge of the vaping market:facepalm:

tc1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Ohio
So you think Provape don't have a clue about the market despite being in it for long, reading forums,etc.
Just because you don't want to buy a certain device it doesn't mean the rest of us think that way.

You should get in contact with Provape - stat!

It's amazing Provape survived as long as they have without your knowledge of the vaping market:facepalm:

I'm not sure why you are so combative regarding the issue. Every time someone chooses another device over the Provari ... that equates to a loss in sales. If you don't think the P3's output limit won't cause ANYONE to choose another device over the P3 then I don't know what to tell you. (Because I ... for one ... am one of them)

I never once stated the P3 won't sell or won't sell well ... in fact, I stated the opposite.

tc1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Ohio
as far as the market goes ... vapers who use regulated devices and vape below 20 watts ... they outnumber high watt vapers by a huge margin.

I bet Evolv (and other chip makers) would say you are wrong ....
There's a reason higher powered devices are popping up every month ... the demand is there.

When was the last time you saw people going crazy over a new 15 watt device? There are none? There's a reason for that too ...
Evolv discontinued the DNA20 in less than 6 months ... ask them why.

Last edited:

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
Go to any Vapemeet and you'll see more Provari's being used than an other device - as will be the case in two years time.

Don't be so sure, two years is a LONG time at the current pace of change in the industry. A lot faster than the last 2 years, that's for sure. Heck 3 months is a long time these days.

As far as being 'behind the times' is concerned, the ability to press the button and inhale accurately regulated vapor - is all that's required.

There's a hell of a lot more people that would go for accuracy and durability over 150 watts any day.

This clamor for high wattage is not only getting silly, soon you won't be able to buy batteries safe enough for the wattage that folks are looking for.

But this much is largely true.

When was the last time you saw people going crazy over a new 15 watt device? There are none? There's a reason for that too ...
Evolv discontinued the DNA20 in less than 6 months ... ask them why.

Evolv has not discontinued the DNA20. And if you missed the news, they are making untold numbers of 20 watt boards now for Innokin.

tc1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Ohio
Evolv has not discontinued the DNA20. And if you missed the news, they are making untold numbers of 20 watt boards now for Innokin.

Meh ... sorta what I meant.

The DNA20 has been shifted towards Innokin while their modding platform is the DNA 30 (and in the works .. DNA50)
From what I understand ... their DNA20 production equipment is solely being used for their Innokin project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread