Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Considering these wicks last a good amount of time what is your guys experience with changing flavors on the same wick with rayon? Do I have to completely rewick or is it good to go the way it is?

It all depends on the flavor, mints and some fruits and a lot of the syrupy commercial juices stick like glue and linger almost forever never really going away. They even linger after a thorough cleaning. All my DIY tobacs and other mixes go together so I if lazy overcomes me enough not to refill a jug then just put another flavor into the atty then within several vapes the new flavor has taken over.
My coil has to be completely spent before I do a rewick or rebuild, no more do I sit down just to change wicking to another flavor.
I noticed you used the word "trim". Don't confuse trim with thinning the tails, they are 2 different processes. Thinning the tail is what promotes the juice flow with rayon, too bulky chokes, too much thinning it could leak. The only trimming I do is after I've thinned the tail I make a flower as you can say then trim off the bottom 1/4 to 1/3 that IMO isn't needed then juice the wicking and trim to the length I want.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
As others have stated, if you are a TC user, I vape my rayon DRY, then change flavors in the tank. If I’m not too lazy and I deem it time, I’ll put in a new wick. Besides no dry hits, flavor changing with little fuss is one of the unspoken huge benefits of TC.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Refresh my memory guys :D I’ve been successfully using Kotex U rayon. But 2 days ago I wicked it as usual with my Asmodus Zesthia & using coil gunking juice. I just checked & the rayon broke in 2 in the coil. I can’t remember what causes this?
I think it’s too thick in the coil. It’s not getting juice in the center of the coil so it’s dry and burns into two pieces. And I think it’s too much rayon that causes this but I’m not positive.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Refresh my memory guys :D I’ve been successfully using Kotex U rayon. But 2 days ago I wicked it as usual with my Asmodus Zesthia & using coil gunking juice. I just checked & the rayon broke in 2 in the coil. I can’t remember what causes this?

LOL on the kotex...
I'm just assuming your using a contact or micro coil. I had a very short bout with micro coils. I burn't the center out of them on a regular basis. I also never really understood the concept how juice gets into the middle of a solid coil and how it can vaporize efficiently. Some swear by them but I swore at them so dumped the micro coil and made spaced coils. Some people have massive spaces between the wraps and that IMO isn't necessary and inefficient cause being too far between the wraps you just burning juice between the wraps from it not getting hot enough . Some of my spaced coils you can barely fit a business card between the wraps but its spaced so you don't need much space just not have the wraps touching.
For those who have not given a clapton a try, your missing out on a great vape that kicks the poo out of any single wire build. They are simple to make using 34 gauge as wrap wire(32 wrap requires too much power to ramp up and makes a thick clapton). I thoroughly enjoyed the 30/34 clapton until I got some 29 gauge wire now its 29/34 5 spaced wraps at 2.5ID rayon comes out to 1.4Ω. Using 28/34 made a massive 3.5ID to get 1.4Ω that took up all the airflow space, 30 gauge gets weak too fast distorting the coil after a couple rewickings but the 29 so far is a nice gauge to work with and its holding its own real good.
The other thing is your pulling the rayon too hard through the coil and its thinning inside the coil. I twist then follow the twist through the coil following the direction of the wraps then untwist. I also sometimes with 2 tweezers, one holding 1 side while then pushing some of the rayon back into the coil from the other side. IMO just pulling the rayon through without twisting your just thinning it out in the center cause having the rayon being so tight and having so much drag especially with claptons and other multiwire builds.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
LOL on the kotex...
I'm just assuming your using a contact or micro coil. I had a very short bout with micro coils. I burn't the center out of them on a regular basis. I also never really understood the concept how juice gets into the middle of a solid coil and how it can vaporize efficiently. Some swear by them but I swore at them so dumped the micro coil and made spaced coils. Some people have massive spaces between the wraps and that IMO isn't necessary and inefficient cause being too far between the wraps you just burning juice between the wraps from it not getting hot enough . Some of my spaced coils you can barely fit a business card between the wraps but its spaced so you don't need much space just not have the wraps touching.
For those who have not given a clapton a try, your missing out on a great vape that kicks the poo out of any single wire build. They are simple to make using 34 gauge as wrap wire(32 wrap requires too much power to ramp up and makes a thick clapton). I thoroughly enjoyed the 30/34 clapton until I got some 29 gauge wire now its 29/34 5 spaced wraps at 2.5ID rayon comes out to 1.4Ω. Using 28/34 made a massive 3.5ID to get 1.4Ω that took up all the airflow space, 30 gauge gets weak too fast distorting the coil after a couple rewickings but the 29 so far is a nice gauge to work with and its holding its own real good.
The other thing is your pulling the rayon too hard through the coil and its thinning inside the coil. I twist then follow the twist through the coil following the direction of the wraps then untwist. I also sometimes with 2 tweezers, one holding 1 side while then pushing some of the rayon back into the coil from the other side. IMO just pulling the rayon through without twisting your just thinning it out in the center cause having the rayon being so tight and having so much drag especially with claptons and other multiwire builds.
i just realized I haven't burnt a rayon wick in two since I switched to using clapton spools and fancy premade fused claptons, now I guess I know why. my single core wires in the old day were usually spaced, but not always, and temp controlled but still oven came apart in two when i re-wicked. That doesn't happen anymore now running spaced claptons and fused claptons.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, I tried flushing my first gunked wick with water. Kinda the same as reusing coils if you ask me, got "the taste" after two tankfuls. I have a feeling my coil went nowhere near "clean" also. It didn't leak though, which was somewhat impressive, but I won't be trying that experiment again, it's probably easier to just rewick it, in my opinion.

Although go, go rayon with the non-leaking! LOL.

Anna

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
To be honest, I never rinse a wick or dry burn and re-wick a coil. It's just as easy, at least for me, to do a full rebuild rather than futz around like that. Wire is cheap and the cost of rayon isn't even a factor. Then, there's that totally new build, full of flavor and vapor.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I agree. I wanted to try it for myself because someone mentioned it on here, I believe it was Butters. I just wanted to see what happened, and I got my answer. I wasn't necessarily expecting it to go well, but it went better than I expected, if that makes sense.

Still, will not be repeating the experiment, ever. Etc.

Anna

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Well here we go for round 2. After my embarrassment of thinking the Graham cotton was actually rayon I ordered the right stuff on amazon and it came in today. I went ahead and rewicked my blitzen once again. I made sure that the rayon was tight in the coils. I fanned the tails up and trimmed and then I fanned them to the side and trimmed making sure the tails were thinner than the rayon in the coil. I did it quick because I figured my first attempt would be a no go. To my surprise it’s working well. I’m using some non flavored diy just to see if it’s working properly and I don’t taste anything at all. I’ve been chain vaping and there are no signs of any problems whatsoever. I’m pleased.

I have a question though. Considering these wicks last a good amount of time what is your guys experience with changing flavors on the same wick with rayon? Do I have to completely rewick or is it good to go the way it is?

Did you happen to take a pic of thenrayon wick after trimming? I’m just starting to learn.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
To be honest, I never rinse a wick or dry burn and re-wick a coil. It's just as easy, at least for me, to do a full rebuild rather than futz around like that. Wire is cheap and the cost of rayon isn't even a factor. Then, there's that totally new build, full of flavor and vapor.
I may vape my coil till the bitter end but am lucky to do 2 rewicking before tossing the coil. In a lot of cases sitting down make a build takes less time and less wear on gear than dryburning, scraping then whatever other steps you take. I got a container of old coils that still got plenty miles left on them. No love lost on tossing a single wire but the claptons and other builds that take time to make the wire...just can't find it in myself to toss a slightly used clapton.
Cotton is mighty forgiving as wicking, lots depend on how much the cotton absorbs to expand and it varies from piece to piece but with rayon you have to be accurate or get breakin taste. There's no leeway wicking with rayon. The bonus with rayon is the flow is consistent from build to build so once you nail the wicking then finding that vape sweet spot then keeping it is easy for the next coil you install.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
No love lost on tossing a single wire but the claptons and other builds that take time to make the wire...just can't find it in myself to toss a slightly used clapton

Single strand, claptons, aliens or whatever I run them babies for months before replacing. Dryburning and scrubbing under water with a toothbrush is less than a three minute ordeal for me whereas finding my wire, coiling tools and setting the coils with near perfect symmetry is a 15-20 min exercise in fussy. Maybe my sense of taste isn't as acute as others but I can't taste the difference between a cleaned coil and a new one. I only pitch the coils when they get so bent out of shape from dragging wicking through that I can't straighten them for good symmetry. With thinner gauge wire that could happen on the first rewick attempt if I'm not careful, especially if it's a spaced coil. On larger gauge wire and fused claptons it could be 3 months or more before recoiling if I'm careful to not overheat while dryburning.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
I'm using fused claptons from AVS and I tend to replace the coils after 3 or 4 rewickings/dry burns. I wouldn't say I really need to recoil when I do, but I do think fresh coils taste the best. Most my juices are real gunkers. Even with rayon, my coils take a beating.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
I've tried dry burning and cleaning, even going as far as to soak them in peroxide overnight, and just can't deal with the crappy taste left over from dry burning. Maybe I'm sensitive to it, I dunno, but it makes me happy to not be a clapton only vaper. Most of my stuff is simple, space, single wire stuff.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
I'm pretty quick at doing 5 wrap twisted 26 kanthal coils, either 2mm for a mech or 2.5 for regulated mods. I'll normally run 90 - 120 ml (3 - 4 days), then toss a new coil in. For travel I carry a spare coil, wick already installed.

Could I go longer? Sure. OTOH, I've been vaping a decent time, remember how a decent cartomizer, about $1.50, was only good for 3 - 4 days, 18 - 24ml. A coil costs 1/10 as much, handles 5x the eliquid (though same number of days - the joys of subohm and higher power :) )

My elqiuid is made with organic diacetyl-free vanilla plus either a little french vanilla or a cream variant. Simple, I mix a pint at a time. (Thanks again for the hint on the condiment bottles, Sloth.)

Last edited:

f1vefour

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Emerald Coast
Was just talking to our prophet Jeremy on FB, he wishes he was here and really appreciates his ECF family.

He's flat out busy as he's been going through some personal stuff. If any of you have him on your FB friend list, send some love his way I'm sure he would appreciate it.

We will see the return of our prophet, the Rayonati King.
I don't use Facebook but if you talk to him again tell him I have been wondering how he is doing and I send my regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread