Status
Not open for further replies.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Yes I'm vaping Capella vanilla ice cream and that kind of flavours. Mostly creamy flavors, sometimes with hints of mokka, chocalate and cookies. So yes, they are sweet.
But nontheless, my chimney full of black gunk doesn't look that appetizing, I'd rather prevent it :danger:.

I'll let you know if the high voltage was helping. At least I don't need to hold the power for 1-2 seconds now to just heat up the coils. 54W now.
Like you said , you have to do fluffy tails because of the tank and that also can be contributing. I know theres a reason rayon is better with thinned tails, something to do with juice and perhaps how it travels up and back down...I know Jeremy stated this way back in the thread...I just remember him saying if the tails were thinned properly it stays much cleaner

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
Yes I'm vaping Capella vanilla ice cream and that kind of flavours. Mostly creamy flavors, sometimes with hints of mokka, chocalate and cookies. So yes, they are sweet.
But nontheless, my chimney full of black gunk doesn't look that appetizing, I'd rather prevent it :danger:.

I'll let you know if the high voltage was helping. At least I don't need to hold the power for 1-2 seconds now to just heat up the coils. 54W now.
Maybe your juice has sweetner in it?.. i don't use sweetner in my sugar cookie recipe, I rewick on Sundays after 30mls x7 = 210 mls per week (duel coil @ 25-35 watts & 20-25 ohms) only other thing I can think of is possible your wick tails are too thick for juice to travel well. (I am 50/50-70/30 for ejuice. Simply not real picky when running low on supplies)

Anyway I hope you find out what is causing the problem

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Maybe your juice has sweetner in it?.. i don't use sweetner in my sugar cookie recipe, I rewick on Sundays after 30mls x7 = 210 mls per week (duel coil @ 25-35 watts & 20-25 ohms) only other thing I can think of is possible your wick tails are too thick for juice to travel well. (I am 50/50-70/30 for ejuice. Simply not real picky when running low on supplies)

Anyway I hope you find out what is causing the problem
I really feel like a tootle puffer, 3mls per day, compared to 30mls per day.....I think your right on the tails being to thick, but he said he has to have thick tails in that specific tank unless it leaks....i wonder if he thinned the tails a bunch, then stuck a bit of cotton down the ledge? Or perhaps did a half rayon, half cotton wick? Never tried either of those, but you never know

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
I really feel like a tootle puffer, 3mls per day, compared to 30mls per day.....I think your right on the tails being to thick, but he said he has to have thick tails in that specific tank unless it leaks....i wonder if he thinned the tails a bunch, then stuck a bit of cotton down the ledge? Or perhaps did a half rayon, half cotton wick? Never tried either of those, but you never know
Imho,, he needs to thin the tails & learn to "fan out/ also known as the damming style" whats left of the tails to stop leaking

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Special thanks to the rossum report and showmetwice for the tidy bowl rayon . Just set up a new kfl with this rayon and I like....the fibers are so nice and straight compared to my Sally's and it's like lighter and more fluffy. I would like a pillow made from this rayon and I think i prefer it to sallys... to soon to tell about performance yet, but so far its rocking

hisionics

Aug 18, 2019
hi guys. Dunno if this is the right place to ask..in case i'm OT i will open another thread.

I came here searching for info about Rayon..seems promising since i still havent find a definitive/ideeal material for wicking. I ve tried a lot of Cottons (Muji, KGD, Cotton Bacon v2, Bacon Prime, Angorabbit and NativeWicks Plat) but dunno.. i m not rly convinced by anyone of them.

I want to ask a couple of questions about Rayon:

1) base Theory.

Basically u gotta place a lot (the more the better) INSIDE the coil ("hearing" the squeek) and rly few (like 10/20%) in the TAILS, leaving "strands" (if this is the correct term) only where the Liquid channels are (in the bottom in case of BF/RDA) and cutting (not thinning) the rest. Is it right?

2) is that hard to (actually) Do it?

I ve seen that oldest guides/videos (like the 1st in this thread) show a pretty difficult/long technique picking single strands, but recently (on this forum too) i see a lot easier ways. For example this about ZeusX (Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2) seems not that hard.

3) Tidi balls are the best, but lot harder to work with than Graham, right?

and the last question is about the buying process..i was thinking to start buying Graham #44130 (https://www.amazon.com/Graham-Professional-Cellucotton-Beauty-Rayon/dp/B00PBGJT5A/). Is the same as #44060? i ve seen a lot of this cited but i ve found only the 44130 on Amazon (selling/shipping to my country).

Ty in advance!

• Love
Reactions: HigherStateD

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
hi guys. Dunno if this is the right place to ask..in case i'm OT i will open another thread.

I came here searching for info about Rayon..seems promising since i still havent find a definitive/ideeal material for wicking. I ve tried a lot of Cottons (Muji, KGD, Cotton Bacon v2, Bacon Prime, Angorabbit and NativeWicks Plat) but dunno.. i m not rly convinced by anyone of them.

I want to ask a couple of questions about Rayon:

1) base Theory.

Basically u gotta place a lot (the more the better) INSIDE the coil ("hearing" the squeek) and rly few (like 10/20%) in the TAILS, leaving "strands" (if this is the correct term) only where the Liquid channels are (in the bottom in case of BF/RDA) and cutting (not thinning) the rest. Is it right?

2) is that hard to (actually) Do it?

I ve seen that oldest guides/videos (like the 1st in this thread) show a pretty difficult/long technique picking single strands, but recently (on this forum too) i see a lot easier ways. For example this about ZeusX (Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2) seems not that hard.

and the last question is about the buying process..i was thinking to start buying Graham #44130 (https://www.amazon.com/Graham-Professional-Cellucotton-Beauty-Rayon/dp/B00PBGJT5A/). Is the same as #44060? i ve seen a lot of this cited but i ve found only the 44130 on Amazon (selling/shipping to my country).

Ty in advance!
Yes the 2 you mentioned are the same rayon, only different amounts. As for using rayon, it's not really that hard to do, you just cut a piece approximately 15 percent more than what you would use for cotton (this percentage can vary) and thread it thru. Once its thru , simply trim tails. In my rtas, I trim the bottom and both sides about 20 percent. I dont do rdas, but its probably the same. Everyone's exact way is going to be slightly different and each tank, so experimenting and fine tuning must occur. Basically for me, it's the same way as cotton, I just use a little more and reduce the tails a bit, the rest just will take some fine tuning with your vape style and specific tank

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I use BF RDAs exclusively. I angle-cut my tails, starting just a few mm from the coil and leaving maybe 25-30% at the ends where they lay at the bottom of the atty.

Except for getting the unrolling started, which is tougher on some balls than others, I don't think it's harder to work with.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Haven't heard of that version. Link?
There are a few videos on YouTube, mostly Asian but one done in English by this guy.
It's a painful long winded watch and the music at the start is annoying but it's a live thing so it is what it is.
Queued up at the Holy Fiber start.

The funny thing is they all wick it like cotton and don't thin the tails.

This is what happens when you take Rayon and package it commercially then pump it out into the market. Vapers will grab it up and use it, as opposed to the Sally's box that appears like it might not be suitable for vaping.

hisionics

Aug 18, 2019
at least he cuts and thins quite a bit...look this video ..it's the "official" how to wick (HolyJuice Lab is the owner/producer of this product)..it doesnt anything to it.

btw watchin the few videos, it seems the same "fiber" that i ve seen in other (few) videos about Rayon (Graham or others).. i was curious if some1 of you (Rayon' users) had tried it in order to compare. At least to confirm it's real rayon.

Actually (if it is good as you guys say) i dont get why it tooks about 3-4 years to get at least one vaping company into producing/commercializing it. Considering there are already tons of companies in the Cotton market.

The few reviews i m finding are all positive tho, but yes this is the only one i found (till now) in english (and it is not very informative/detailed). I ve seen found in other languages with subtitles and automatic translate (terrible but enough to get at least the core of the review).

This is a spanish (i guess) video that goes indept. It says (@18m07s) there is an external Flavour (expecially at the start)due to the cellulose itself (but it is the only cons...the ovrall ratings are great!). It doesnt show exactly how they worked but watching the coil after use (@10min) it seems quite a lot in the tails (it's too much even for cotton prolly), so maybe they didnt work it properly.

Last edited:

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
btw watchin the few videos, it seems the same "fiber" that i ve seen in other (few) videos about Rayon (Graham or others).. i was curious if some1 of you (Rayon' users) had tried it in order to compare. At least to confirm it's real rayon.

Actually (if it is good as you guys say) i dont get why it tooks about 3-4 years to get at least one vaping company into producing/commercializing it. Considering there are already tons of companies in the Cotton market.

No, haven't tried it. But a burn test will tell. As in with a match or lighter. Burning rayon smells like burning paper, after all, both from wood pulp. Cotton smells totally different when burned.

Yeah, puzzling why they've not gotten into rayon, at least as another option with their fancy cotton products ;)

Some do taste a flavor on a new wick, that goes away quickly. I usually get rid of that when I rewick, on a test stand. Saturate and fire a few times, verfies the coil is working properly, and gets rid of any new wick taste before I button the RTA up and fill.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Oh, and thinning tails is tank dependant, to some degree. I don't thin on my KFL2s, works great. Thinning too much on some atties will result in leaks. So don't be locked into thinking you have to do it the way someone else does it on a different atty. Some experimentation may be required. :)

hisionics

Aug 18, 2019
i always do a LOT of testing David! I started recoiling T2 and T3 KangerTech (in the far 2011/2012 if i remember correctly)...and dat was rly a nightmare...now is more funny and viable. :evil:

But a starting point is rly important or you gonna spend ages starting from zero!

i.e. recently i m testing compressed and complex coil with and w/o the initial glowing/Activation..to see the real differences in flavour.

I'will be the 1st to test this Holy Fiber then (i see this product is available at several local shops!). At least i will do this "burn test" to confirm is Rayon/Cellulose. :p
Cant compare it to your Tidi/Grham Rayon tho :rolleyes:

Some do taste a flavor on a new wick, that goes away quickly. I usually get rid of that when I rewick, on a test stand. Saturate and fire a few times, verfies the coil is working properly, and gets rid of any new wick taste before I button the RTA up and fill.

Man! I use always almost the same method to prime/activate cotton at start (sometimes i use 1-2ml to do it). This kinda clears the cotton (initial) residual flavour ! I usually breath on the coil during pulsing/firing like you do with your birthday' candle to avoid warming/torching the Coil up!:evil:

wow..i love this smile..can i use it a couple more times? :evil::evil::evil:

• Agree
Reactions: DavidOck

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Kanger heads were kind of big, I started rebuilding the "clearomizer" from Volt. That was a 1ml atomizer the size of a cartomizer for cig-a-likes. There was an internal ceramic cup that the coil/wick sat inside of. I wound the coils on a 16 gauge, blunt, needle using six or seven wraps 32 or 34 gauge nichrome and welded on, nickel, legs. Wicking was a real PITA between the small diameter and the thin wire distorting as the rayon was pulled through. The worst were the dual head, mop style clearos though. Getting the coils properly aligned and spaced, wires arranged and welded was a killer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread