Status
Not open for further replies.

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
Now the cotton that I used to rewick the Doggy has scorched, too. I'm going to try rayon again. I should probably recoil as well, just in case it for some reason is responsible for all this scorching. I don't know why that would be, but that two wicks succumbed to the singe in such a short span of time makes me suspicious.

BNEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
Sounds like you may have a hot-spot in that coil
Now the cotton that I used to rewick the Doggy has scorched, too. I'm going to try rayon again. I should probably recoil as well, just in case it for some reason is responsible for all this scorching. I don't know why that would be, but that two wicks succumbed to the singe in such a short span of time makes me suspicious.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
I've been using Rayon (Graham) for a few months now. Will hardly buy anything else in the future.
I have some boxes with iClouds from Australia, thought to go back to normal cotton and see, but, I doubt it will be better than Rayon.

As much cotton as possible through the coil, I usually have to hold the coil so that it does not deform.
Trim the tails, trying to get a shoulder.

Can maybe try to get a little more cotton down in the juice channel, but am not sure if it will be a good solution.

Attys is the kayfun Lite's.

All in all I'm very happy with Rayons, wicks like a champ.

That's one of my 2 regular RTAs, rayon for a long time. Never needed to stuff any in the juice channels. After stuffing the coil I spread the rayon out each side, evenly, snip off even with the edge of the chamber, then "mullet" cut, i.e. about a 45 degree angle to thin it out for the tails. Tuck those down, done.

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
I'm not finding that rayon wicks last longer than cotton. I tend to vape my wicks into the ground and have gone up as much as eight weeks without rewicking cotton. But of the six atties I've wicked with rayon, one lasted four weeks, two for two-and-a-half, and a fourth for a mere week. The fifth will hit a month on Saturday; I should really have rewicked it today but three at one go is my limit. Only the KFL+ that holds my mint juice is still going strong.

When I pulled the wicks, one was black--though not burnt--inside the coil. It was dealing with a dark juice, though. Two others had some spots that appeared to be due to singeing. The flavor was way, way down in all four that I rewicked yesterday and today.

I blame all this on user error. I'm still an infant when it comes to wicking with rayon.

I did discover today that the full width of a large Tidi rayon ball seems to be just right to stuff a 2.5mm coil to the squeaking point. That makes things easier.

P.S. The coils did not have a lot of crud on them.

pt91

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2009
AR
I have been using rayon exclusively for six or more years now. I tend to use one device/atty at a time. I re-wick an average of every 24 hours. That is about the time I can detect a taste change. I use a kanthal alien and have for years. The coil is warm water rinsed and toothbrushed before a dry fire to clean it. I change the coil once a month. This may seem excessive but it give me a clean flavor and gives me a chance to clean the inside of my RTAs regularly.
Since I re-wick everyday I use RTAs that are very easy to re-wick w/out dumping the liquid.
This is just something I have settled on after 12 years and trying out a lot of different types of attys.
I am still not making much of a dent in that huge box or rayon :)

BNEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
If I had to re-wick everyday I'm sure I'd have to rethink something.
I get about 40-50mLs out of a wick/coil (Titanium coil, so I rarely dry-fire) I should note that my juice is EXTREMELY gunky (Alien Vision's Boba's Bounty) I've been using Rayon from the beginning, actually before the beginning. back in 2013 my wife, who was a hair dresser at the time, gave me her "cotton balls" that I later found out were actually Rayon. I have tried all the "cool kids" cotton and was sorely disappointed with not only the flavor, but especially with the longevity. I Bought a box of Graham's after following this thread and have never looked back.

Funny: when I found out those "cotton balls' were Rayon I pictured myself wicking with some '70s disco suit!!

Last edited:

pt91

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2009
AR
I get about 40-50mLs out of a wick/coil (Titanium coil, so I rarely dry-fire) I should note that my juice is EXTREMELY gunky (Alien Vision's Boba's Bounty) I've been using Rayon from the beginning, actually before the beginning. back in 2013 my wife, who was a hair dresser at the time, gave me her "cotton balls" that I later found out were actually Rayon. I have tried all the "cool kids" cotton and was sorely disappointed with not only the flavor, but especially with the longevity. I Bought a box of Graham's after following this thread and have never looked back.

Funny: when I found out those "cotton balls' were Rayon I pictured myself wicking with some '70s disco suit!!
Bobas will definitely gunk it all up! I loved it and went through about a year of it until "the" missing ingredient disappeared. That is when I started mixing my own and never bought the sugary OTC stuff again(not bobas, I found simple 2 or 3 flavors my mainstay).
I gave away all of my raw cotton supplies just after buying my big box of rayon. The taste of a few day old wick is really awful to me. I know most people think it is crazy but I have it down to a few minutes now.

BNEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
I do like my Boba's
thumbnail_IMG_7256.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_7763.jpg

BNEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
Not long enough! (4-5 years after diluting) I've been trying to get a hold of them to see what they were going to do before I made one final order, but that's one peculiar company. It's like they don't care about making money!!
Just seeing that massive stash gave me instant taste memory! How long will that last you?

newyork13

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
western Massachusetts

Would you clarify something for me?
I understand getting 40-50ml out of a coil. But, I don't understand getting that much from a wick, especially with a gunky juice.
Do you clean the rayon wick somehow?

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Yup! Last time I touched the wick or coil in my ADV squonk was in early December.

There's something to be said for vaping straight, unflavored liquid. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread