Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Could be normal, @Zazie , especially with darker juices. Some coloring near the coil is what I usually see. Shouldn't be a problem, and will probably rinse out under the faucet. Although by the time I'm ready to open up an rta, it's usually time to at least dry burn, so new wick of course. :)

newyork13

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
western Massachusetts
Yup! Last time I touched the wick or coil in my ADV squonk was in early December.

There's something to be said for vaping straight, unflavored liquid. :D
Yes, of course. The premade coils which I have used (VooPoo, Aspire, Innokin) vaping unflavored nic last that long too.
It's just that I was puzzled by how rayon wicks with a gunky juice don't require replacement or cleaning as often as my cotton wicks.
Vaping NETs, I need to replace the wick fairly often in an RTA.
I'm not sure why that would less with rayon.
And do you toss the rayon when it's looking bad or clean it?

Seiggy

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2012
Irwin, Pennsylvania
Yes, of course. The premade coils which I have used (VooPoo, Aspire, Innokin) vaping unflavored nic last that long too.
It's just that I was puzzled by how rayon wicks with a gunky juice don't require replacement or cleaning as often as my cotton wicks.
Vaping NETs, I need to replace the wick fairly often in an RTA.
I'm not sure why that would less with rayon.
I'll add my :2c:. I think its because Rayon transports your liquid to the coils. Cotton uses absorption to get liquid to the coils. With cotton this absorption goes both ways, to your coil and away from your coils which is why I think causes cotton to get darker faster. Rayon can do the same thing and you can see it if you tails/shoulders are too thick. I use both as indicators that my wicking is a little off and go in for maintenance. I hope this helps a little.

Seiggy

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2012
Irwin, Pennsylvania
Maybe my shoulders are too thick. The only way to make them thinner, it seems to me, is to trim at least part of the shoulder more flush with the coil. Is this correct?
Yes you are correct. I thin my shoulders just like my tails after I do a trim on them. I just run my tweezers through and cut off the excess.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Good to know.

Do people actually rinse wicks?

Me, only when I'm tearing down an rta for cleaning, rinsing the deck is an early step. And, while the darkening at the coil usually does rinse off..

Again, for me, it gets tossed, since the cleaning involves a dry burn (kanthal here). Cheap as the stuff is... ;)

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I was puzzled by how rayon wicks with a gunky juice don't require replacement or cleaning as often as my cotton wicks.
I think it's because rayon is better at keeping the coil wet, giving the gunk less of a chance to settle out on the coil and in the wick.
It puzzles me why anyone would try to re-use a rayon wick when it literally costs less than a penny to replace it with a new one.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
When I wick Rayon, I wash the hands to get oils and all off. After I separate the length of wick into the approximate diameter. I dampen the whole thing with a little juice. I twist it to compress it, trim it to a point and work it through. I guess I've done that for two or three years. It made getting the right amount of Rayon in the coil without deforming the coil unduly. It works for me.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
I've put 300mls of commercial juice through my Steam Crave Titan (38ml per tank) and by the end of that run the coil looked like a BBQ grill... I pulled the wicks to show my co-worker how well Rayon works. After they were rinsed off under the tap they could have been dried and used again, still white with no scorch marks etc.

I don't usually run that much juice through a tank, but this was just a let's see scenario. The wicking was absolutely perfect with that build, which is not always the case. ;)

Rayon users rewick out of boredom instead of necessity. :vapor:

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
I look forward to reaching that point. Had to replace another singed wick yesterday. It was only a week old.

Apparently stuffing a ton of rayon in a coil is not a problem for me.
On coils like the Titan uses I usually pull the Rayon through with the Leatherman after it's all compressed and ready to install. Hold the coil with one hand and reef the wick through with the other, tight is an understatement. I've never choked off a coil due to Rayon tightness like you can with cotton.

If you are getting singed wicks then it could be a number of things:
1. Too much power for the coil.
2. Hotspots not completely worked out of a contact coil. (Strum and compress until you get an even glow.)
3. Wick density not thick enough in the coil.
4. Inadequate juice flow, thin the tails more or unblock juice intake.

Test the build all wicked and wet without the tank on, so you can see if any part of the coil is getting red when you fire for a second or two.

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
1. Too much power for the coil.
11W for a 1.3 ohm coil doesn't sound like too much to me.
2. Hotspots not completely worked out of a contact coil. (Strum and compress until you get an even glow.)
Always do.
3. Wick density not thick enough in the coil.
Maybe, but I doubt it. I could barely budge the wick and removing it was a struggle.
4. Inadequate juice flow, thin the tails more or unblock juice intake.
My money's on thinning the tails. I pared 'em down more when I rewicked--to the point, in fact, that I was worried about leaking. I even took the atty off the mod at bedtime, just in case. All was well. Now I wait to see how long the wick lasts.

How does the tails being too bulky impede juice flow, by the way? I would have thought the danger would be that they'd deliver too much juice to the coil, not too little.
Test the build all wicked and wet without the tank on, so you can see if any part of the coil is getting red when you fire for a second or two.
Again, always do.

Thanks, TrollDragon. I'll get there in the end. It's early days yet: I've only been at it for a month.

Last edited:

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
How does the tails being too bulky impede juice flow, by the way? I would have thought the danger would be that they'd deliver too much juice to the coil, not too little.
Dense tails in the juice channel can block the flow and not allow air bubbles to pass. I thin the tails by at least 50% and make sure the ends of the tails are just barely touching the bottom of the well.

After the wick is installed in the coil I divide the tails in half and trim off the upper section 1mm away from the edge of the coil. The remaining lower half then gets combed out and trimmed to fit in the juice channel resting a smidgen above the juice holes. I do not pack it in or fold it over in the channels, this is different for every tank and does require a fair bit of trial and error with each tank/deck style.

You will get the hang of it for sure, just takes time. :thumbs:

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
After the wick is installed in the coil I divide the tails in half and trim off the upper section 1mm away from the edge of the coil.
This is exactly what I had been doing. But I didn't further reduce the tails, and I think that's where I went wrong. I noticed that the juice wells were quite packed when I pulled the wick yesterday. I made them a lot sparser when I rewicked.
You will get the hang of it for sure, just takes time. :thumbs:
I'm determined to succeed. I bought far too much rayon not to.

Thanks again, TrollDragon.

Snizalod

Apr 19, 2021
Hello, I have a question. I'm new to rebuildable and I got druga rta. My question is I run my wick quite thick to the point it kinda bend my coil a bit that's okay right? Also how exactly do you thin the tails? What I do is run my tweezer through the tails to thinned it out and it kinda took some of the fibers away is that alright? And since the juice hole on druga rta is kinda small it got a bit stuffy on the juice holes should I thinned it more or is that okay? I tried to wick it like a cotton once where the wick is just kinda snug through the coil and I got a really bad dry hit, went to check the wick and it's really dry, so I know that's the wrong way to wick rayon.

The other question is the flavor I got is a bit muted, from what I read in the front page is I should just break the wick more, how exactly do I break the wick? Do I just keep vaping it or should I just let it stay for a while?

Thank you.

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
So, I continue to have trouble with short-lived wicks. I did get three weeks out of one, but generally they're lasting no more than a week and often only a couple/three days before I get a sharp, burnt taste. Sometimes, when I pull them, the part that was inside the coil is almost black. Sometimes, there's what looks like scorched juice where the wick enters the coil.

I have trimmed the shoulders more and more and thinned the tails so much that I'm now dealing with leaking. It is frustrating: I like the taste I get from rayon and, besides, have invested in a massive quantity of Tidi rayon balls. I will keep at it, but I confess that today I went back to cotton just to give myself a break. The flavor isn't as good, but at least I know I won't have to rewick those attys for a while.

Reactions: YoursTruli

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
Haven't use rayon bit all say it shrinks when it gets wet so need to be tighter that cotton...but anyways the amouth to use in the juice ports and how tight it will be I guess depends on and attomizer and the VG percent of your juice and the temperature where u live and all that sooo just experiment and u gonna get there....
:)

• Agree
Reactions: newyork13
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread