jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
Whew, still just a hoarder then!

I just realized shinyitis and hoarding are different symptoms of GAS, for which there is no known cure.

I'm not sure which condition is more severe - occasional shinyitis followed by extended hoarding, or perpetual shinyitis?
I often have GAS, but I have several known cures. Often involves clearing a room quickly.

Sometimes even makes me leave...

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Don't sweat the shiny bug. at $10 bucks plus a pack for cigs. a pack and a half smoker would would have to spend $450 a month to equal that. Some may but most don't.

I know even buying stuff, I am far ahead of the cost curve vs smoking. I go thru about $20 worth of DIY juice a month and maybe 50 cents worth of rayon wick and ss wire. That leaves a lot of room for on the whim purchases.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
buy, then buy some more so when all that junk I bought breaks or fails, I will still have something to fall back on while perusing the interwebs to replenish my stock. Surprisingly, every single item I have purchased in almost 3 1/2 years is still working and looking like new! But I know, based on my research that I am on borrowed time, that most of my stuff is destined for failure.......and most likely, soon!

No worries! I am prepared for doomsday! I'm a prepper! Wouldn't you like to be a prepper too?
Same here. I have lots of backups because I assume lots of stuff is going to die soon.
:rules:maintenance items do not count as shinyitis purchases;)
Absolutely!
My rule book says backups are exempt. I'm paranoid and need more backups to quell my paranoia.:p
Me too.

jfcooley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Maintenance items and backups don't count?
So basically the first setup is all that counts?

Methinks one has found a way around shinyitis into dark denial hallways...

Which, is fine with me. Let me hold the door :)

jfcooley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
$100!
Man sure could do a lot of good with that.
(Assuming you'd like to be talked off the ledge)

$100!
That'd get a new sqonk, new mech or a new regulated. Sure are a few nice shiny new attys out there too. Oh, and the wire/wick combos are amazingly cheap this time of year.
(Assuming you're looking to be supported)

Obi Wan Vapori

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Saco,ME,USA
I have been looking at the Hedron but it would come with a bunch of hassle. It's a three battery Mod so I would have to get a bigger charger. Another battery to set up a married set, I only have two spares that I have never used. And.... another tank. Thing is I need it like I need seven holes bored in my head.

90VG

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2016
5000' in Nevada
I do well on the disorder as far as vape stuff goes, but I fail miserably when it comes to the bicycle stuff. It just bought a new headlight for it, 750 lumens.
sbpKY6B8CtbTezWNCnIynCaMix_2mUc7OMNK4xkQ2Fxr5_cEAvS34I-FSaiMZ1AEW_bjvgSr9Rp2Q4L_bNc2TuTwyC5dsp8KN_xw-TeEG9X6CN_NgsdbpPsRKUKdqftiJ9dLKo0Wa_wgqlgy1-nVRgplJlm21Sw7yOeKRfqBF-1Xjc91B3IYb6W587xhRjHBngYxXRN1AcdJMyUvwwFXU7dP3jln-GaFtR5ijcHQcHgN_lXvjnwgfpazl-Qbv6oUOlOvsp9DCk0PIRWdsnzoJpbZFG90JGhC7Ton1813irNcqt0CJowecfh8GxxWujMQqtnUBckoqP5jhq_47l10UkHGOMFDVt3S2myVLh-AvYdB8fRovTiVwbbCRZZOrRx6yHlvA8F5DXcIA7Z5B9L-jhlgycfkWDf-j4Cme62dBD2MQ9WhO96IJMd_6VZ3_hHNfYdTDhF4eIfgk-32ljzAnUE_KWgL8Bmf5lOgkX1aRCGP6V5LNhmkwCENlkfgnACNDaAclJAE5urwLvHteKifd24NMmbqJAXcVzlH24IL6kY3Nu0PSdnIZFafyY15nlEb_7gkfXkiqCNwYR2nLYp_6kZhwTJaeBXPEuGLXDxmnw=w1709-h961-no

Look at that, in a backyard. It's really small too.

Obi Wan Vapori

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Saco,ME,USA
Have a friend that was into biking years ago. He had mountain bikes, road bikes, recumbent bikes, you name it. Was always out riding. Today his back is so messed up he can barely work and can't do much of anything. I left those days back in my teens and don't regret it. But, to each their own.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
Bikes?
Me - two road bikes, two mountain bikes
Son - two mountain bikes
Wife - two girls bikes
Pending - a mountain bike for a friend and an old Schwinn speedster found in the trash
Legacy - Schwinn Deluxe Stingray, three speed stick shift. Belonged to my now passed brother in law and my wife is sentimental.
Indoors - Schwinn Airdyne

Glad I thinned the herd recently...

90VG

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2016
5000' in Nevada
I have a bad back from an injury, and yes sometimes riding makes it hurt. There are tricks though.

With a MTB, get a bike stem that rises up (so you aren't bent over). You don't need to be aero to exercise. Ride with no hands, sitting up properly. Things like that make a huge difference.

I don't use my road bike, kills my back. I like to load up all the tools for almost any repair, 3 liters of water, survival knife, hatchet, (firearm, depending on where I am) everything and climb hills on my mountain bike. That way I'm a total combined weight of nearly 300 lbs going up a 6% grade. It's steep enough to make you work, brutal enough to keep it short and when I get back home my back doesn't hurt at all.

Taking a break from the grind and sitting up, no hands and vaping while riding is good for the back. I can't vape if it's just me alone since I run about 80% FTP. Riding with others (much slower pace), I choo-choo train it.

Tl;Dr; Just ride with no hands and sit up.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If you mean I purchased some e-liquid, well, it's exempt (and was inexpensive). I haven't purchased anything else since this thread started, LOL. Making it easier, I won a gift certificate for DIY flavorings YESSSSS... and a mod, which will probably end up in the husband's hands. I also got the WTA partially for him....

I was checking out mods earlier but I managed to restrain myself.... :) As the person who requested this thread (thanks JFC) I would be managing very poorly if I couldn't keep to it for EVEN one day :lol::lol::lol:. Everything that has arrived was purchased long ago... :)

Anna

ETA: @KC0YNU (nice use of the 0 numeral there) to what are you referring? Did I buy something in my sleep???? (I never rule out the possibility)

Users who are viewing this thread