Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Ok! So you dont see any increase in surface TiO2 when you do this? Presumably not or you wouldnt be doing it!
Correct. I see none of that white oxide at all.

To be honest, I found that just running it under warm water and then brushing it with an old soft bristle tooth brush works pretty well with any heating at all! Im using 24g so ite pretty sturdy!
That would require taking the atty off the mod, and I'm too lazy to do that. :laugh:

Another option for controlled heating is to take it out of temp mode and crank the wattage way down, into the low single digits. It's easier to adjust that way than trying to adjust the the temperature limit, but I rarely bother with that anymore either.

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Ok, folks, I'm late to the tp game, so I'm going to ask for some guidance. Sx Mini m class on its way. Going to use titanium, and have 28g due to severe contact allergy to nickel. Thinking Erlkonigin will be the experiment atty.

Any guidance on coil diameter, number of wraps, spaced or compressed? And just anything else you think I should know? Much appreciation :)

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Ok, folks, I'm late to the tp game, so I'm going to ask for some guidance. Sx Mini m class on its way. Going to use titanium, and have 28g due to severe contact allergy to nickel. Thinking Erlkonigin will be the experiment atty.

Any guidance on coil diameter, number of wraps, spaced or compressed? And just anything else you think I should know? Much appreciation :)

Can't help with all but since I have an erlp and use 28g ni:

- I prefer a spaced coil
- over 12 wraps and you will have trouble fitting the coil on the deck. With titanium I would dare to say 8 wraps would be a very good starting point.
- id around 2.5 to 3.2mm with rayon
- start at 250F and work up.

That's how I plan to start :)

Regards
Tony

Sent from my keyboard through my phone or something like that.

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England

I'm sure others will have an opinion also but here goes..

I have only used 24g so far but 28 will be fine. I would aim for as high a resistance as possible, i have been between 0.17 and 0.22 so far. O.2 is easily doable with 24 and even more so with 28!!

I would keep yopur coils spaced. If you try a tight microcoil you would need to check for hotspots etc by dry burning which, I think we have established, might not be a great idea..

As for settings, you will need to experiment but start with atemp around 300F and 15-20 J and go from there. I have found it (like Ni acrtually) to be very atty dependent but whatever, the temp needs to be significantly lower than you wopuld use for Ni (the SX is calibrated for Ni not Ti).

The SX is great - not perfect - but really good for TPO vaping in my opinion!

If you need any more info, let us know! Enjoy the SX and Ti vaping!

Cheers

steve

Reactions: Angel Eyes

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Maybe the Erlk isn't my best choice.

I would like to use it with an authentic atty, being that its my best mod. Other than the Erlk, I have: two Gus Phenomenons but the decks are tiny, Estia, but tri coil, Rose v2, Eviva-t but again tiny deck, Calix, Spheroid again small, eXpromizer but does use a spring for the positive pin.

Cheap authentics/clones: Lemo, Aga t-7, Aqua v1 and 2, Flash e v3, k 4, Prometey v2

Would a different one be better? The Prom v2 might be the easiest.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA

Has anyone actually verified that the board in Sx Mini m will do temperature limiting/control with titanium? I wouldn't assume that just based on the fact that a DNA40 will. Ti's TCR is lower, only about 2/3 that of nickel.

Keep your wraps slightly spaced. I like 2mn coils. 6-8 wraps of 28 gauge should get you somewhere between 0.33 and 0.4 ohms. A DNA40 would be very happy there. I run 3x30 twisted on mine, 7 wraps, comes out to about 0.25 ohms.

Set your temp limit to something like 330F, put some dry cotton in the coil and let us know if it burns. :)

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal

I would like to use it with an authentic atty, being that its my best mod. Other than the Erlk, I have: two Gus Phenomenons but the decks are tiny, Estia, but tri coil, Rose v2, Eviva-t but again tiny deck, Calix, Spheroid again small, eXpromizer but does use a spring for the positive pin.

Cheap authentics/clones: Lemo, Aga t-7, Aqua v1 and 2, Flash e v3, k 4, Prometey v2

The erlk is one of the best for TP as it has solid connections from top to bottom.
Has anyone actually verified that the board in Sx Mini m will do temperature limiting/control with titanium? I wouldn't assume that just based on the fact that a DNA40 will. Ti's TCR is lower, only about 2/3 that of nickel.

Keep your wraps slightly spaced. I like 2mn coils. 6-8 wraps of 28 gauge should get you somewhere between 0.33 and 0.4 ohms. A DNA40 would be very happy there. I run 3x30 twisted on mine, 7 wraps, comes out to about 0.25 ohms.

Set your temp limit to something like 330F, put some dry cotton in the coil and let us know if it burns. :)
Someone on the sx mini thread posted a few moments ago that he was using 24g titanium without problems on it.

Regards
Tony

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Someone on the sx mini thread posted a few moments ago that he was using 24g titanium without problems on it.
Cool; nice to know to board supports it. Being a dedicated squonker, I don't really stay current on the news surrounding conventional mods or tanks.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Ok, pro-tip: Re-tighten your coil screws after using the your coil for a few hours. It would not surprise me if you find them a bit loose and you see the resistance start to rise because of it. This shouldn't be necessary on a regular basis, just once or twice after installing a new coil.

Reactions: xtreme101

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England

not familiar with many of those by the Prom V2 looks like a good bet.

On the Ni front, it seems that people with Ni allergies don't (or at least not often) have any probe with vaping Ni coils. There are a few posts around on that subject and busardo mentioned this phenomenon in one of his early DNA40 reviews!

sando7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2014
Louisville, KY (PRP)
it didn't burn! I think I ran it at 320F but didn't do a torture test as I don't want to screw the coil by overheating it. If people want I can redo it at some point and post some pics!!

been running rayon (cellu) between 370 & 380F w/TI....no probs

don't seem to care much for cotton it turns into mush after a day or 2

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
On the Ni front, it seems that people with Ni allergies don't (or at least not often) have any probe with vaping Ni coils. There are a few posts around on that subject and busardo mentioned this phenomenon in one of his early DNA40 reviews!
Right. Yet others who do not have an obvious contact allergy to nickel consistently end up with a sore throat and/or irritated mouth after vaping nickel (or even nichrome) for a few days.

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
Not sure what is going on but I just managed to burn cotton on the sx. 0.17ohm space build, Ti 24g on RBA deck of subtank wicked with muji OC. Set for 20J and 350F. So the problem is that it goes almost straight away to Dry Coil message and all is well, however if you keep the button down it keeps trying from scratch. After a 5 cycles of this the cotton starts to burn. Just to be sure I took the deck off and put it on my chinese DNA40-clone VF knockoff and repeated. Holding down fire button it keeps going but power sits around 1W or so and essentially all is fine.

On the sx, the burn mark accumulates on one of the end wraps so it might be a hot leg issue. I dry pulsed in power mode to light it up a bit but doesn't look like a hot leg - looked pretty good in fact except now it is white!

I think there might be an issue here. It seems to fine on a single pulse but it seems to put a good deal of power through the coil before it detects a dry coil situation. The other problem is that it then tries again...and again... and eventually enough heat accumulates such that the wick cooks...Maybe this isn't a problem in a real world situation but it doesn't seem quite right to me..

Can someone else have a go, maybe with Ni using continuous fire ?????

Last edited:

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
Did it with Ni - 32g work hardened stuff - 0.21ohm - same deck etc.

Same story on 'DNA40'. Significantly for Ti lovers, no problems on M-class. It cycles as before but it doesn't burn.

Go figure...certainly looks like SX is doing things differently from DNA40-style chips...Im confused...

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
not familiar with many of those by the Prom V2 looks like a good bet.

Its not vaping the Ni. Its wrapping and securing the coils. Even washing my hands as fast as possible doesn't help. I'll have oozing blisters.

I can't wear a watch unless its 100% plastic (looks chintzy to me) or it would need to 100% gold, silver or titanium and its not important enough to me to invest in one. I can't wear earrings of any kind, even gold. Not even clip ons as one of my pierced holes never closed up.

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Its not vaping the Ni. Its wrapping and securing the coils. Even washing my hands as fast as possible doesn't help. I'll have oozing blisters.

I can't wear a watch unless its 100% plastic (looks chintzy to me) or it would need to 100% gold, silver or titanium and its not important enough to me to invest in one. I can't wear earrings of any kind, even gold. Not even clip ons as one of my pierced holes never closed up.
That must suck big time. No holding coins either I guess?

Regards
Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread