Status
Not open for further replies.

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Its not vaping the Ni. Its wrapping and securing the coils. Even washing my hands as fast as possible doesn't help. I'll have oozing blisters.

I can't wear a watch unless its 100% plastic (looks chintzy to me) or it would need to 100% gold, silver or titanium and its not important enough to me to invest in one. I can't wear earrings of any kind, even gold. Not even clip ons as one of my pierced holes never closed up.
Since you said you were using 24g, is it possible for the wire accumulating heat because of its width up to a point the cutting algorithm isn't cutting fast enough and allow the cotton to burn?

My 28g ni 200 will let light brown streaks on Virgin dry cotton at temperatures as low as 410F (on a dna). This obviously doesn't happen in real life because you don't have Virgin dry cotton inside an atty. Even when we say 'bone dry' there is still enough moisture in the dried out cotton to raise the char point by a lot of degrees. Never got a dry it even at 450F in real life conditions.

Regards
Tony

Sent from my keyboard through my phone or something like that.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Its not vaping the Ni. Its wrapping and securing the coils. Even washing my hands as fast as possible doesn't help. I'll have oozing blisters.
If that were the case for me, I wouldn't even THINK about vaping it. Sorry, but if you know your body reacts that strongly to something, you stay the heck away from it.

Do we have a Ti build pics thread anywhere?

Woofer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2014
PA, SK, CA
Specially PACKAGED for vaping purposes. ;)

Kinda reminds me of the various rewrapped batteries that are "specially made for vaping". :facepalm:

While in High School (interesting name for it ;)) I worked at a national brand bakery.
One of my job was the "wrapper" which was a bagger actually.

We bagged the national brand plus many brands for other grocery chains.
The number of time I had people tell me the National Brand sucked but the IGA or whatever was excellent... :lol:
It was the exact same bread I know I changed the bags.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
If that were the case for me, I wouldn't even THINK about vaping it. Sorry, but if you know your body reacts that strongly to something, you stay the heck away from it.

Do we have a Ti build pics thread anywhere?

That was what I said when the DNA40s came out, and everyone here assured me it would be fine. Easy to say though if you have no allergies :)

I had a horrible reaction to a flavoring in an e liquid. My allergies are many and fierce.

Reactions: jlbrokaw

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
That was what I said when the DNA40s came out, and everyone here assured me it would be fine. Easy to say though if you have no allergies :)

I had a horrible reaction to a flavoring in an e liquid. My allergies are many and fierce.

I have allergies too so I have a good deal of empathy here! Anyway, if you have the SX fear not. Use Ti but just be aware that it isn't, at the moment, as well supported as it is on a DNA40 device. As I said on the SX thread, I vaped a Subtank with a TI build to virtual dryness with no dry hit etc. Just look for the drop off in vapour flavour (as you would with an RDA anyway - you obviously know what you are doing!)

Let us know how it goes and what you decide to go for!!!

best
steve

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
I have allergies too so I have a good deal of empathy here! Anyway, if you have the SX fear not. Use Ti but just be aware that it isn't, at the moment, as well supported as it is on a DNA40 device. As I said on the SX thread, I vaped a Subtank with a TI build to virtual dryness with no dry hit etc. Just look for the drop off in vapour flavour (as you would with an RDA anyway - you obviously know what you are doing!)

Let us know how it goes and what you decide to go for!!!

best
steve
Or use thinner Ti.

I believe the problem comes from using too thick wires that will hold on the heat longer than the sx is expecting so while continously firing, it eventually will char the wick if Virgin dry.

At least that's what I'm hoping :)

Regards
Tony

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
Or use thinner Ti.

I believe the problem comes from using too thick wires that will hold on the heat longer than the sx is expecting so while continously firing, it eventually will char the wick if Virgin dry.

At least that's what I'm hoping :)

Regards
Tony

you may be right. can't try it with thicker ni really to check as 24g would take 1000 wraps lol. don't have any higher guage ti. maybe someone could try with 28 or 30g and test your theory!

Last edited:

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
Yeah, 24ga is still a lot of coil mass, titanium or otherwise.

24ga on a 3mm bit, 6 spaced wraps will give you about .21Ω. This coil rocks and has a pretty small footprint in a dripper or tank. I've been using it in my K4 with great results and the same coil for about 3 weeks.

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
I only have 28g titanium.

Ok. Can you do a TP dry burn test with that? Something around 0.2 ohms at 20J and 300F. Keep the fire button depressed and let it cycle around from 'Dry Coil' mesaage back to firing back to Dry Coil and so on. With 24g the cotton eventually burns! Interestd to see if it is better with a lighter guage and therefore lower coil mass!!

f it looks ok at 300F, maybe try upping the temp to 320 then 350!

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
I got a reel of wire in my mail :)

Unfortunately it's hardened 30g ni 200 I ordered from Stealthvape and not the titanium from the other vendor lol

I will try it out nevertheless ;)

Regards
Tony

Thats great Tony. That is exactly what I used in my test so at least we will see if its reproducible. I got no burning (maybe a very faint color change) at 20J and 420F or something in that ball-park! And of course no burn on my chiNA40 VF clone (20W and 420F).

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
24ga on a 3mm bit, 6 spaced wraps will give you about .21Ω. This coil rocks and has a pretty small footprint in a dripper or tank. I've been using it in my K4 with great results and the same coil for about 3 weeks.

Hey Marc, as you probably gathered we are trying to trouble-shoot a potential Ti issue with the sx which seems to burn dry wick in TP mode with exactly this coil setup (actually 5 wraps at about 0.18ohms)!! Do you have the M-class??

Woofer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2014
PA, SK, CA
lets not forget though that the burn test with 24g works fine on the chiNA40 VF so there is something fundamentally different in the way these chips do TC!

I think this is quite a jump in logic to say fundamentally different based on this one data point.
It could be as simple as the DNA being able to regulate down to a lower wattage which I believe it can do.

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Sx just came, but I was gone all afternoon so haven't tried the tp yet. It may be a couple days before I have a tp coil set up.
Oh sure take your time. It's not like 50.000 people are eagerly waiting here on the forum for you to post your results and while time passes the rumour that the sx is not Ti friendly is spreading through the Internet like a wild fire. [emoji14]

I hope you don't feel any excess pressure, it's just a small Ti community who's survival depends on your results.

:D ;)

Regards
Tony

Reactions: 52anddone
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread